Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Yet another ZAGE. Installation notes

My project is far from complete but i still wanted to share my experience so far. In fact upon completing the mechanical part I realized that tuning the FIC by myself would be too much for a task, and I would need help from some dyno-tuning company. I am kinda bankrupt now (just paid for my car insurance) and my car is my daily driver - had to remove the kit bringing car back to stock. I am also considering buying the PnP harness (though wiring seems kinda just a little more difficult than Blitz)

The kit:
Overall I was very surprised by the kit built quality. Cast parts look superb (as compared to blitz whose casing looks kinda low quality in this respect). I did not have any fittment issues - all pipes matched each other. Silicone couplers were of sufficient length and seem appropriate for the task. My only problem was that two bolts intended for the oil pan turned out to be too long - had to use spacers. Zage changed the oil pan supplier recently - hence I first received the kit and than had to wait another two months for the oil pan. The kit came superbly packed, each part having its own smaller box and lots of protective stuff inside. One of the L-shaped silicone couplers that connects the air intake to the turbo intake was to long, had to cut a portion of it. No clearance issues with drive shaft or shifter cables whatsoever.

Installation:
I was following the instructions kindly provided by F.Shift and other guys here the only difference being that I found it easier to mount the exhaust manifold first, followed by the turbo and downpipe, whereas F.Shift recommends mounting the whole assembly. Worked in my case the way i did it. I would also recommend, in case you plan using the boost controller, mount the solenoid before you mount the turbo, otherwise pretty problematic to reach when everything is assembled. I was able to use the tools that I had, did not have to buy anything specifically for this project. It was also pretty difficult to remove the stock oil pan- had to use some sort of chisel (just do it carefully)

The "notorious" oil pan:
This guy has been the subject of numerous debates as to whether to use it or not. In my opinion the supplied oil pan is totally awesome - the kit now comes with nice and thick 5/8 hose, no kinks is installed correctly. I ran hose mine along the turbo outlet pipe -just nice and smooth oil return. Highly recommend.

Fucking crash bar
It was pretty difficult to drill the holes in the crash bar under the bumper shell. I wasted pretty much all my small and med sized drill bits. Holes are needed to mount the inter-cooler. I think the crash bar is made out of crazily strong material developed by some alien nation far superb to humans.

Once everything was installed, I primed the turbo and started the car. Surprisingly - no oil or air leaks. No engine stalls. No CELs. Nice. Drove the car around the parkade - did not go over 4000 rmp out of fear to kill the engine. The car felt different starting like 2500 rmp (no boost controller used). Could feel boost but did not attempt to go full throttle without FIC installed. Also, there was some smoke right after the start which came from the heat tape on the downpipe - thought it was an oil leak first. No waiting to become rich again to install the kit again and do the FIC and tuning.

Some pics below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130724_191613 small.jpg (106.8 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130724_191618.jpg (122.2 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130724_191624.jpg (165.6 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130724_191629.jpg (146.3 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130724_191632.jpg (142.0 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130724_191640.jpg (108.2 KB, 228 views)
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Nice! So much work just to remove it. :-( you should have pawned something to get what you needed. Lol

Good luck. Wish I could afford to get even as far as you!
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
TOLMACH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
Nice! So much work just to remove it. :-( you should have pawned something to get what you needed. Lol

Good luck. Wish I could afford to get even as far as you!
plus i did couple attmpts previously to test fit the manifold and turrbo before the actual installation ..

my mechanical skills are way stronger now than before zage ))
Old 07-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Way to go, and great pictures. Thanks for posting.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Looking good.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
thatbryanguy

Drives: Yaris 3dr hatch
O.O you have to install it all again?! I installed my kit yesterday and I could not imagine taking it all back off to stock and then put it all back on again! I mean I guess it would be so much easier the second time but still...so many of the Zage kit parts are such a tight squeeze and struggle to fit even if you know what you're doing its all still a pain to put alot of it together. Congrats and I hope you get tuned soon! What year is your yaris?
thatbryanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
some more great info it seems. best of luck to you to get the funds necessary to use it.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
A parking garage that will let you work on your car like that? :0 That's pretty nice. Wish I could get out of the heat and sun to work on my car. :)
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #9
TOLMACH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
A parking garage that will let you work on your car like that? :0 That's pretty nice. Wish I could get out of the heat and sun to work on my car. :)
we are allowed minor things like changing cabin air filters.. I do not see much difference between doing this and installing a turbo kit

(I am actually trying to do all mods pretty quietly and not cause much disturbance around .. )