Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #19
ardvark2175
ardvark

Drives: 2012 Yaris LE
I test drove both the manual and automatic in 2012. The manual was slightly more responsive on acceleration. It also had a stiffer suspension. I like the throttle response of the manual a lot, however much preferred the softer ride in the automatic. I've owned mostly manual transmission cars. I chose the automatic LE for one reason. I refused to carry the "Sport" brand on the car...as it is an excuse for insurance company's to jack up their rates. If Toyota would have offered the manual in the LE version I would have purchased it. That being said...I am extremely happy with the automatic I own. I just reached 10000 miles and am no getting 40mpg after going to full synthetic in engine and transmission. I waited for 1000 mile for the engine to break in.
ardvark2175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:40 AM   #20
juicyjosh

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE MT
Want to steer you in the right direction...

Hello forum,

I'm leasing a 2012 manual 5-door SE.

There are a few more significant differences.

1) The steering ratio is actually slower on the SE. Despite the much shorter wheelbase, the Yaris SE also has the turning circle of a Camry. The Yaris L and LE models have a turning circle of 30.8 feet, while the upgraded "Sport Calibrated Electric Power Steering" of the Yaris SE has a turning circle of 36.7. Driving both cars back-to-back or parallel parking, if you pay attention, you'd notice the difference. As such, the SE requires noticeably more steering angle to turn the car, and the SE's steering receives less power-assist (i.e. it's heavier) than that of the other models.

2) The SE has 10% stiffer front springs, which simply lifts the front of the car higher in the air, so the "sport" suspension actually contributes to the excessive body roll. Still no rear anti-roll bar.

3) Tires are "upgraded" to 195-50/16 Turanzas, which are the worst tires I've ever driven on. Pulling away from stoplights requires a feathered throttle and lots of clutch slipping to avoid the tires' chirping and making the Honda next you think that you were trying to race. Apparently the Yaris' massive torque at 1000-1500 rpm is much too extreme for the stock tires to handle without chirping. That gets old really quickly. The 16" wheels do look good, with a nice sparkly gunmetal finish, and they're reasonably lightweight.

4) You do get disk brakes in the rear, but there's so little weight back there, the main benefit is cosmetic.

5) Removal of the rear seat is as easy as lifting the seat upward and unsnapping it from its two re-snappable hinges. There's no rear seat scaffold support frame in the 2012 model.

6) The SE exterior gives you cosmetic "improvements," such as a small nearly functionless rear trunk spoiler coupled with an equally functionless lower diffuser that serves a counter-productive purpose as an air dam. The SE gives you do-nothing fog lights, the waffle-patterned grill, chrome trim pieces, and vertical rear reflectors. The SE interior is also trim different on the SE. You get a tachometer, instead of a large empty circle with the word "Yaris" on it, there in case you forget what car you're driving. The whole instrument cluster is lit in red, which does look good.

Yes, with a manual, you can downshift to try to get more power out of it, but the ecu will always give you soft throttle response. I would not call the car responsive.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by juicyjosh; 11-18-2013 at 11:52 PM.
juicyjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicyjosh View Post
Hello forum,

I'm leasing a 2012 manual 5-door SE.

There are a few more significant differences.

1) The steering ratio is actually slower on the SE. Despite the much shorter wheelbase, the Yaris SE also has the turning circle of a Camry. The Yaris L and LE models have a turning circle of 30.8 feet, while the upgraded "Sport Calibrated Electric Power Steering" of the Yaris SE has a turning circle of 36.7. Driving both cars back-to-back or parallel parking, if you pay attention, you'd notice the difference. As such, the SE requires noticeably more steering angle to turn the car, and the SE's steering receives less power-assist (i.e. it's heavier) than that of the other models.

2) The SE has 10% stiffer front springs, which simply lifts the front of the car higher in the air, so the "sport" suspension actually contributes to the excessive body roll. Still no rear anti-roll bar.

3) Tires are "upgraded" to 195-50/16 Turanzas, which are the worst tires I've ever driven on. Pulling away from stoplights requires a feathered throttle and lots of clutch slipping to avoid the tires' chirping and making the Honda next you think that you were trying to race. Apparently the Yaris' massive torque at 1000-1500 rpm is much too extreme for the stock tires to handle without chirping. That gets old really quickly. The 16" wheels do look good, with a nice sparkly gunmetal finish, and they're reasonably lightweight.

4) You do get disk brakes in the rear, but there's so little weight back there, the main benefit is cosmetic.

5) Removal of the rear seat is as easy as lifting the seat upward and unsnapping it from its two re-snappable hinges. There's no rear seat scaffold support frame in the 2012 model.

6) The SE exterior gives you cosmetic "improvements," such as a small nearly functionless rear trunk spoiler coupled with an equally functionless lower diffuser that serves a counter-productive purpose as an air dam. The SE gives you do-nothing fog lights, the waffle-patterned grill, chrome trim pieces, and vertical rear reflectors. The SE interior is also trim different on the SE. You get a tachometer, instead of a large empty circle with the word "Yaris" on it, there in case you forget what car you're driving. The whole instrument cluster is lit in red, which does look good.

Yes, with a manual, you can downshift to try to get more power out of it, but the ecu will always give you soft throttle response. I would not call the car responsive.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for including reason #1. Members in the past have posted some great reviews re their own SEs, but I don't remember anyone in the past including this point. Might be reason enough (just me personally) to take the SE off my list. If I gave up the turning circle on the 'Base'/L for main daily driving purposes I'd want more than just really liking the driving experience as a trade off (an example: the fold UP rear seat on the Fit that allows one easy ingress and egress re transporting a bicycle).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote