Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-02-2015, 09:46 PM   #19
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Wow, tough question.

Um, mid 00s Sentra. Not SER or SpecV because I don't know any used ones that haven't been driven violently or aesthetically tainted by their pervious owner(s)
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:27 PM   #20
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
Another one for my list (or rather, an extension of one of my top options): in addition to a '58 Chevy Wagon, I'd also consider one in a '59 or '60 model year. Some of the early 60s Ford wagons were pretty neat too.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:58 PM   #21
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcp123 View Post
Another one for my list (or rather, an extension of one of my top options): in addition to a '58 Chevy Wagon, I'd also consider one in a '59 or '60 model year. Some of the early 60s Ford wagons were pretty neat too.
It would be fun to have (if I also had a climate controlled warehouse ) pristine versions of new cars family members purchased or received from 1959-1968: 1959 Chevy Impala Convertible (mother), 1962 Chevy Impala Convertible (mother), 1962 Lincoln Continental 4-door with the suicide doors (grandmother), 1967 Thunderbird (uncle), 1968 Cadillac Eldorado (grandfather).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:43 AM   #22
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I honestly have no clue. At this point I am going to have a tough time staying with Yota for my next daily which very well may come by the end of the year. If I do stay with Yota it will prolly be a lexus GS or else a Tundra Pro.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:47 AM   #23
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

btw...I know the topic is regarding the listed criteria however when I purchased my Yaris it was for 2 singular reasons; FE and reliability. With how well FE has moved due to CAFE requirements the FE isn't a big concern for me as well as my station in life has gotten substantially better so as long as I get 20mpg I am fine with that. As for the reliability, well at this stage of my life amenities are moving up and reliability is taking more of a back seat since Yota can't get their shit together when it comes to features, at least not in the US.

Case in point in general why this is so important:

Report claims 'dramatic shift' in car buying behavior

In the past year, the two most important women in my life, my girlfriend and my mom, upgraded from analog to digital. They ditched their old cars – a 2010 Jeep Liberty and a 2011 Subaru Forester, both sparsely equipped – for new cars that are loaded with connectivity features, reconfigurable instrument clusters, the latest satellite navigation systems, voice command systems, heated steering wheels, xenon headlights and a slew of other features that were nearly inconceivable on a sub-$30,000 vehicle the last time they were in the market.

That's because we're in the midst of a feature renaissance, as the available options offered in new cars evolve at a breakneck pace. Automakers, meanwhile, are scrambling to fit even more, more, more to their new vehicles.

"We basically skipped a generation of technology, and that's what we're seeing come out now," Kevin Tynan, a senior analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence, told Automotive News. "Your 5-year-old car feels like it's 10 or 12 years old."

AN cites an example from IHS to support Tynan's statement. Back in 2005, just 12 percent of new vehicles had backup cameras. Now, you can get a four-camera AroundView Monitoring system on a $19,000 Nissan Versa Note. It's not just cameras that have exploded, though.

USB connectivity and Bluetooth technology are very nearly as ubiquitous now as power windows and locks were just seven or eight years ago. Even satellite navigation is more common than it was in 2010.

This rapid increase in the availability of in-car tech is having a profound impact on the new car market. Combined with the lowest oil prices in the past several years, new vehicle sales are on pace for a sixth consecutive year of growth.

Meanwhile, the increasing pace of obsolescence is leading to a drop in lease terms, with the average lease down to just 36 months, AN reports. According to Edmunds, a few individual months saw the average new-lease term fall below the three-year mark.

We often joke that today's cars are essentially smartphones on wheels. But now, it's really starting to look like people are viewing the two products similarly, in terms of their replacement windows, at least.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.

Last edited by fnkngrv; 03-04-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:15 PM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
btw...I know the topic is regarding the listed criteria however when I purchased my Yaris it was for 2 singular reasons; FE and reliability. With how well FE has moved due to CAFE requirements the FE isn't a big concern for me as well as my station in life has gotten substantially better so as long as I get 20mpg I am fine with that. As for the reliability, well at this stage of my life amenities are moving up and reliability is taking more of a back seat since Yota can't get their shit together when it comes to features, at least not in the US.

Case in point in general why this is so important:

Report claims 'dramatic shift' in car buying behavior

In the past year, the two most important women in my life, my girlfriend and my mom, upgraded from analog to digital. They ditched their old cars – a 2010 Jeep Liberty and a 2011 Subaru Forester, both sparsely equipped – for new cars that are loaded with connectivity features, reconfigurable instrument clusters, the latest satellite navigation systems, voice command systems, heated steering wheels, xenon headlights and a slew of other features that were nearly inconceivable on a sub-$30,000 vehicle the last time they were in the market.

That's because we're in the midst of a feature renaissance, as the available options offered in new cars evolve at a breakneck pace. Automakers, meanwhile, are scrambling to fit even more, more, more to their new vehicles.

"We basically skipped a generation of technology, and that's what we're seeing come out now," Kevin Tynan, a senior analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence, told Automotive News. "Your 5-year-old car feels like it's 10 or 12 years old."

AN cites an example from IHS to support Tynan's statement. Back in 2005, just 12 percent of new vehicles had backup cameras. Now, you can get a four-camera AroundView Monitoring system on a $19,000 Nissan Versa Note. It's not just cameras that have exploded, though.

USB connectivity and Bluetooth technology are very nearly as ubiquitous now as power windows and locks were just seven or eight years ago. Even satellite navigation is more common than it was in 2010.

This rapid increase in the availability of in-car tech is having a profound impact on the new car market. Combined with the lowest oil prices in the past several years, new vehicle sales are on pace for a sixth consecutive year of growth.

Meanwhile, the increasing pace of obsolescence is leading to a drop in lease terms, with the average lease down to just 36 months, AN reports. According to Edmunds, a few individual months saw the average new-lease term fall below the three-year mark.

We often joke that today's cars are essentially smartphones on wheels. But now, it's really starting to look like people are viewing the two products similarly, in terms of their replacement windows, at least.
If I lived in your neck of the woods I can see where something like Onstar would be worth the 'intrusion'...as in life or death 'worth it'. However, what you are talking about above leaves me shaking my head as to why someone would want that much intrusion (exception being the back-up camera). I also don't know if I really trust the relationship between automakers and the government (call me Bronsin ). I also want less of that stuff because there is less to go wrong/break down. I plan to get a voice activated head unit to replace the OEM head unit in my '14, but it will be one of my choosing....no potential alliance (call me Bronsin ).

The owners manual for my '07 Yaris mentions that thare is some part that keeps track of all of the car's braking activity. There is a warning not to tamper with this part, as it is against the law. If it wasn't prohibited by law, I would look into disabling this. Too Orwellian for my taste.

I'm amazed that the iPod Classic (160GB) is no longer offered at the Apple Store, Wal-Mart, nor Best Buy.....to use with auto head units. I guess maybe the screen is too small to suit more than a few.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:20 PM   #25
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

features don't always mean big brother. Case in point is a factory car starter. When you buy one of their premium models that is sold in a 4 season territory then it should come with this now like plenty of other manufacturers offer now and some as standard. This feature being added post purchase with a third party unit has become just about required to be done by a professional shop unless you are someone like Scott. To the tune of over 500 bucks I might add. To me that is unacceptable. Oh and don't call a model SE when it ISN'T really a damned Sport Edition!

Old 03-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #26
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I
I'm amazed that the iPod Classic (160GB) is no longer offered at the Apple Store, Wal-Mart, nor Best Buy.....to use with auto head units. I guess maybe the screen is too small to suit more than a few.
It's all about streaming now.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:43 PM   #27
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
features don't always mean big brother. Case in point is a factory car starter. When you buy one of their premium models that is sold in a 4 season territory then it should come with this now like plenty of other manufacturers offer now and some as standard. This feature being added post purchase with a third party unit has become just about required to be done by a professional shop unless you are someone like Scott. To the tune of over 500 bucks I might add. To me that is unacceptable. Oh and don't call a model SE when it ISN'T really a damned Sport Edition!
You definitely cited a valuable example. My '07 Yaris has the 'Cold Weather Package' (IIRC, Heavy Duty Starter, Heavy Duty Alternator, Heater Vents under the seats, and one other item I can't recall) and I've always thought that was a big plus.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:57 PM   #28
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
It's all about streaming now.
Alas, you're right. I guess Millenials (and some others) have been watched by cameras on the streets, in parks, in retail stores, in fast food places, in convenience stores, etc. their whole lives, so they sometimes don't notice or don't even care about the loss of privacy. I don't want my music preferences accessible on some server I don't own.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:21 PM   #29
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Alas, you're right. I guess Millenials (and some others) have been watched by cameras on the streets, in parks, in retail stores, in fast food places, in convenience stores, etc. their whole lives, so they sometimes don't notice or don't even care about the loss of privacy. I don't want my music preferences accessible on some server I don't own.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #30
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
OMG not only is what I want being marginalized out of existence by auto transmissions, electric windows, and OnStar NOW theyre putting computer s*() in cars!
Old 03-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #31
Jedz123
Two Wheeled Fiend

Drives: 08 Yaris 2D Lftback 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
OMG not only is what I want being marginalized out of existence by auto transmissions, electric windows, and OnStar NOW theyre putting computer s*() in cars!
That's why Motorcycles are better. ;)

2008 Suzuki B-King
2001 Yamaha FZ1 (2005 motor swap)
1998 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1983 Suzuki GR650
2008 Toyota Yaris 2DR HB (The Cage)
Jedz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #32
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Old 03-05-2015, 04:58 PM   #33
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Old 03-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #34
Supra_Yaris
Logan

Drives: 2009 Yaris Liftback Base MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
Honda Fit.. new one looks nice.
I second the honda fit. Was debating between that and the yaris when I finally purchased the yaris.
Supra_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #35
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_Yaris View Post
I second the honda fit. Was debating between that and the yaris when I finally purchased the yaris.
Drive one and you may change your mind. I did, and I hated it! IMHO, the Yaris performs so much better!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #36
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Drives: 2012 Silver Yaris LE
At the time, I was cross-shopping the Scion xD and the Chevy Sonic. All said and done, I probably would have gone with the xD because the dealer was incredible. I loved the Chevy more, but I could not stand any of the dealerships I went to. It is amazing how much power and impact a dealership can have on you, even if you are all about the car and tech.
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote