Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #37
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
I think i can get a 2015 Abarth for around the price of an se.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2015, 09:31 PM   #38
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
In the U.S. Market. the Yaris is just stuck in a tough niche, and it doesn't help that Toyota treats it like "a red-headed-stepchild". Plus, many consumers have fallen for the fallacy that "latest tech" (such as a CVT) is better, despite the fact that it tends to lead to less reliability and/or more-expensive repairs -even if it might squeeze out an extra 1-3 MPG .

People in this segment shopping on a price/value basis, tend to head to the Nissan Versa. People shopping in this segment on a hype/recognition basis, read the fawning, biased reviews of the Honda Fit, and head in that direction (despite numerous recalls, super-ugly design, Mexico-origins, etc.). People looking for "hot hatches" tend to gravitate towards performance versions of the Ford Focus or certain European offerings. Toyota shoppers in this segment are herded towards the Corolla or the lower Prius models at nearly the same price-point as the Yaris after incentives.

The Yaris ends up being an completely overlooked sleeper, and it doesn't help probably that Toyota refuses to 'update' the automatic transmission in the USA to match some of its offshore versions of the car, or that they use the same 106HP engine in the SE, when something as simple as a 125-135hp engine would give it a LOT more buzz/interest among those people looking for a "sporty hatchback".

It just all boils down to a tough segment of the Market, and the fact that Toyota (or Mazda for that matter) isn't willing to put subcompacts like the Yaris (or Mazda2) into this market with the same level of commitment and attractive features as they are in other countries (or in Japan itself). We are an afterthought market when it comes to subcompacts and Japanese manufacturers in general, and it probably doesn't help that most Americans simply do not like really small cars, or hatchbacks in general (without something adding into the mix like high hybrid MPG numbers).
Totally agree AND Americans have been spoiled with cheap gas for a LONG time, while other countries don't get that. When gas goes back up to $4+ nationwide(not just CA) a lot of Americans are going to be in a world of hurt with their monster trucks and SUV's. I'd like a new Tacoma, but I want a cheaper vehicle with decent gas mileage. It also needs to be a hatchback. So the Corolla is a no go. The Prius is hideous. Always has been. Thus the Yaris is right up my alley. And you can't beat the reliability and quality, even if it is pretty spartan and basic. Sometimes simple is good. At least it is for me the older I get. I'll be 40 in November, and I'm tired of huge expenses and complexity.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #39
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CobraJet View Post
I think i can get a 2015 Abarth for around the price of an se.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Neat looking little cars. But what horrid reliability. Bottom in Consumer Reports for the past several years. And the Fiat 500 boards are full of people with lots of issues. If it was reliable, it would be a definite go. But as it is, not for me.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:05 PM   #40
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLS GUY View Post
Neat looking little cars. But what horrid reliability. Bottom in Consumer Reports for the past several years. And the Fiat 500 boards are full of people with lots of issues. If it was reliable, it would be a definite go. But as it is, not for me.
Not so sure about that. I've test driven several Abarths and 1 500. Ive spoke with my neighborhood service managers. Ive sought out owners of 2013 and later cars who dd like me (2k per month). Im not so sure.

Have you driven one? The media is not exactly enthralled with our cars. I'm constantly defending the Mighty Yaris to folks i know. I'm willing to put up with some increased maintenance in exchange for sex appeal. Yes...i could stripe mine and paint the mirrors. But the dash-i can't come up with an adequate solution. An Abarth ( Or even a lowly Pop) puts the sizzle where you can see it.

Drive the competition. Talk to owners who drive similarly. I'm not so sure i trust the media entirely.

I'm not endorsing a Fiat...but i am looking at one as a possibility in addition to others