Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2024, 10:33 AM   #1
Cognac
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris T-Sport '01
Crank no start 01 Yaris Ts

Hi all, been a while but hoping someone can help me dive into this issue.

Couple years back had a minor incident with a crash barrier that mangled my hood and radiator support. Chassis is fine and found replacements for the rest. While I had the space in the engine room I swapped the engine (1nz-fe) as mine was using buckets of oil.

After swapping engines gave the replacement a small service with oil, filter and plugs but engine ran very rough. Misfiring on cil 1. Switched coils from previous good running engine but problem remained.

Have a bluetooth obd scanner but didn’t get any codes or useful information so tried my luck with a vci plug. Never got it to work, but now some weird issues remain.(yes, lesson learned on copies)

- The cluster no longer displays the mileage unless the vci plug is in place
- Engine cranks fine but wont run at all anymore…
- After cranking the needles start dancing, only stopping after removing key
- key “on” position doesn’t show cel

So with the vci plug in place all looks fine, starts still but wont fire anyway.

Things I’ve tried:
- spray some brakecleaner to see if it runs, no luck
- checked all fuses, efi, am2, etc all good
- Have another Yaris, same year, engine etc and switched over ecu, key and cluster and was running fine so those components are good, thankfully ecu not fried

I’d say maybe I fried the obd port or something, but how does one check that? Cant seem to find wiring or pinout info for this ecu (Fujitsu 89661-52230 mt)
Cognac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 02:11 AM   #2
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
I suppose the "new" engine came from a reliable source and was working just fine in the previous car. Using engine from some totaled car would be unwise.
I am just thinking if we need to locate a problem caused by engine swapping or if we can consider the swapping done fine and it is all about a problem that came inside the "new" engine.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote