Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
SQcomp, tell us a little bit about your new Tweeter install? aiming is very particular and clever...

D.


Preface:

Next time I do this, I'll make these completely out of plastic. This bonding different materials aggravates me to no end because of the different properties between the different substrates. Blah blah blah...anyway...

The semi horn loading of these pillars seems to add some width and some definite height that I have only experienced with the pillar mounted setup like my last setup. Being much more on axis, I have a hell of an ability to play these tweeters lower as well as hear more definition from said tweeters versus my last pillar setup. Playing the tweeters lower at this particular location keeps the height way up versus being dragged down by the location of the mids in the kicks.

...that and I HAD to do something different that Derick after all...



It's all really an experiment. Think about the auditory response you get when you cup your hands near your ears. You can hear things differently. I'm simply playing around with the response of the tweeters by doing this.

I'm also burning time until I take on my next vehicle project...a 1989 Toyota MR2 with a "lightly modded" 3SGTE from a friend and engine builder in kiwiland...
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
The semi horn loading of these pillars seems to add some width and some definite height that I have only experienced with the pillar mounted setup like my last setup. Being much more on axis, I have a hell of an ability to play these tweeters lower as well as hear more definition from said tweeters versus my last pillar setup. Playing the tweeters lower at this particular location keeps the height way up versus being dragged down by the location of the mids in the kicks.

...that and I HAD to do something different that Derick after all...
Yes your tweeters can play very low like a champ.

I can tell you know what you are doing, and it's very clever aiming (your tweeter install) still don't see the Dash Mat? don't you get a bunch of reflections from the windshield? I guess you are using these in your favor to obtain a better width any way!


I did try at some point playing my tweeters low but didn't work for me, since my Mids are more set apart from each other than the tweeters

(remember I cut into the a-frame to fit the magnet) and have them almost flush and providing a location "as far forward and as far from each other" making the Mids play more like a point source [from 160Hz to 10kHz] my stage width benefits from that, and keeps a good height! about my nose or say a couple of inches above the speedometer cluster, that to me feels very natural.

I've been thinking about modifying the left tweeter aiming and position [similar to what I did with the Mids where from my point of view both drivers look the same], by cutting deep into the a-pillar so the tweeter sit as far left as possible, maybe combined with the spheres I had before treating diffractions with the soft curbs. Or some thing like that.

I would like you to do a few tests, (I all ready did) and tell me what you get:

1-Playing the track left, center, right mute the tweeters and tell me if your center image shifts slightly to one side,

2-Playing the track left, center, right mute the tweeters and lows, does your center image moves right or left a few inches?

3-Mute the tweeters and play Mids (L4se) all the way up "tweeter less"!





D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
packetrace
 
packetrace's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 566
Have pics of your new tweeter install ? Like Derick says details about aiming ? I cam very interested since I'll do 2way+sub...!!
__________________
Interior:ALL red, black roof
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
_S7V7N_
 
_S7V7N_'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Texas
Posts: 805
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Nice work Sq !
__________________


Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
packetrace
 
packetrace's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 566
This is so awesome!!! Wish I had your telent
__________________
Interior:ALL red, black roof
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
BTW, using sqcomp photo I did an image trying to visualize a front stage, now imagine that this is an hologram and each artist it's playing live music! and you can feel and localize each individual's position in the stage.




D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC

Last edited by derickveliz2; 04-24-2012 at 12:43 AM.
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
At why?

Are you still in the cape?

If so,... I go to Dartmouth MA, once a week, that's not far away from the cape! I'll be more than happy to let you try any of my subwoofers.


D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
D,

Funny thing...I was doing all of what you were asking me to do just last night. I was trying to figure out why exactly my image was moving out to the pillars given lower frequency.

I solved the issue (and completely changed my TA, crossover slopes, and levels) in the process.

Going back to your question, the mids are able to keep the center image BUT...given my location of the mids I like my higher freqs coming from speakers that are unblocked by legs. As we know, blocking the higher frequencies tends to take the sparkle and some detail out of the signal.

As for subwoofers, I won't even get into it with Tolm. Painting subwoofers with such a broad brush isn't the right thing to do. I have my experience and it's a lot different than his sweeping generalizations.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
D,
Going back to your question, the mids are able to keep the center image BUT...given my location of the mids I like my higher freqs coming from speakers that are unblocked by legs. As we know, blocking the higher frequencies tends to take the sparkle and some detail out of the signal.
I had the impression from SB that as long as there is a clear path between your ears and the speakers should work fine.

I like the sparkles from the tweeters above 10kHz up in the a-pillars but I've seen many people go tweeter less. I did try once and it was pretty cool but even pushing the HL-70's I couldn't get them to play high enough.

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
I had the impression from SB that as long as there is a clear path between your ears and the speakers should work fine.

I like the sparkles from the tweeters above 10kHz up in the a-pillars but I've seen many people go tweeter less. I did try once and it was pretty cool but even pushing the HL-70's I couldn't get them to play high enough.

D.
I hear that. I'm a freak when it comes to my upper midrange though. Still, you're on to something. In our instance we have the mids tucked in the kick area. That's to necessarily a clear path to the ears. This is why I'm playing around with location and aiming some more...and why you guys haven't seen me complete my front stage. Also recall how Scott's G35 had the L3SEs in the sail panels. THAT is a clear line to the ears.

I'm actually thinking about shimming my driver's side tweeter to aim to the left ear...just for $hits and giggles. I want to hear what happens with the center image. I've also set up some temporary baffles for the L4SEs just to play around with more aiming that way as well.

This is one heck of an experiment between Derick and myself. Between us both, we have some serious R&D time with the front stage acoustics in the Yaris sedan.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
_S7V7N_
 
_S7V7N_'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Texas
Posts: 805
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Why? Derick had given me dibs on some Hifonics 6.5's if he still has them and if it's okay with him work something out and give them a try. I will end up going a totally different route and it may be just what you're looking for. You could probably even put them in a small enclosure and get a decent sound out of them.

Get a bit of input from D and Sq and see what they think.

And man you cannot kill a speaker by not givin it enough power, if that was the case anytime we turned down our stereo we'd be putting our speakers at risk of "blowing" . Distortion is what kills speakers, what usually happens is beginners tend to think " the amp says 100000 gigawatts" so imma crank it and get the full potential out of it". Well what usually happens is they clip the heck out of the signal and blow the sub.
__________________


Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Actually...take a look a amplifier clipping and some causes of...

At this point I'm using a single 8" woofer off that S2b amp. I'm definately NOT under powering it. :)

I'll probably be moving down to a single 6.5" with two passive radiators as a sub stage. I LOVE messing with passives if nothing else for the space savings...that and the cool factor.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
_S7V7N_
 
_S7V7N_'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Texas
Posts: 805
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Is it a Digital Designs 8 ? Or HAT ? I flirted with the idea or ordering 2 Skar 8s in a ported box and rock em. I've heard 8's in a ported enclosure can get nassssssy.

Sq you ever messed with Cadence amps ?
__________________


Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I have a DD1508 in there right now. It is more than PLENTY as far as output. Actually I have the subsonic filter on the amp going, plus the 20, 25, and 31.5 Hz on the deck is down 12 dB PLUS the level for the subwoofer is down 10 dB.

I do have it wired at 2 Ohms though.

I haven't messed with Cadence amplifiers at this point. Take a look at these subs:

http://jmhaudioconcepts.com/dadsubwoofers

It's also a good way to support the local (to you) economy. James Halter is the man for these.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine

Last edited by sqcomp; 04-24-2012 at 07:27 PM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
_S7V7N_
 
_S7V7N_'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Texas
Posts: 805
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
If he can do a ported subwoofer box and subs for a good price i'd try anything once.

Heh I cranked up my system over the weekend and did a quick cruise through town, now I hear "ground pounders" cruising by showing off that Distortion !!

Ps if an amp is chrome, has flames and a neon light it has to be pushing at least 5k RMS ! Right ?
__________________


Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
ooh, didn't realize the 16sw was a 6.5. That could work for me. And a pretty darn good price too.

I had the JL 10 in a ported box in the back of the hatch with a full interior. Even with the windows open there was too much sound pressure.

I bet you could even kick my butt so I installed it myself. I used to go to school in N Dartmouth, let me know.

The lunatic in me is curious to know if you know how much it weighs. Rofl, 7 lbs.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #17
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
ooh, didn't realize the 16sw was a 6.5. That could work for me. And a pretty darn good price too.

I had the JL 10 in a ported box in the back of the hatch with a full interior. Even with the windows open there was too much sound pressure.

I bet you could even kick my butt so I installed it myself. I used to go to school in N Dartmouth, let me know.

The lunatic in me is curious to know if you know how much it weighs. Rofl, 7 lbs.
Now I now why, why? gets head-each right?

(Bohemian Rhapsody, Keane, queen, garbage, etc.)


That's ok, I'll show my car to why? on Friday, I hope he likes the little that can! (i6sw) and no I don't know how much it weights sorry? not much I guess?

I'll bring other 2 big brothers too (IDQ12 one of the best SQ subs I've seen it just doesn't fit where the i6sw does, and a Bazooka just to play around)






D.


.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
ooh, didn't realize the 16sw was a 6.5. That could work for me.

I bet you could even kick my butt so I installed it myself. I used to go to school in N Dartmouth, let me know.
Why? would you like to meet for lunch tomorrow?

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sound deadening: sq footage amount for 3dr goku87 In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 29 11-14-2013 12:37 PM
2007 Yaris S Sound Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 70 12-13-2010 07:40 PM
Sound deadening 06vitzRS General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 10 05-05-2010 01:51 PM
Sedan Door Panel Deadening sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 42 06-01-2009 02:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:46 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.