Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-22-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Also try to leave the heater core on cold to cut off flow of antifreeze to speed up the use of 4th gear . Then turn on heat if needed .
Note that this practice makes a *substantial* difference. Even in relatively mild winter weather, say 50F, the Yaris is unable to maintain a coolant temperature of more than about 155F at idle with the heater on high. It's 30F here right now and I just got back from a trip to Walmart. I know from experience that with the heater off, the engine reaches 130F and the "cool" light goes off before I get to the Walmart parking lot. This morning, I left the heater on high. It didn't hit 130F until I was almost *back home* on the return trip. And when I pulled into my parking space, the temp was 136F. That's still 4 degrees shy of when the transmission would have made 4th gear and converter locking available. (And the interior wasn't exactly toasty yet.)

The heater on the Yaris can accurately be considered an auxiliary radiator.

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
since removal of 4 studded tires and warmer weather the 2010 3 door with auto is now getting 40 + miles per gallon . This is VALERO 87 octane ( 10% ethanol ) at 1 click of nozzle at full speed ( always same pump ) , tires set at 36 p.s.i. , 2 people , some headwinds of 25 + m.p.h. , and an average of 50 m.p.h.. Before were lucky to get 36 . Not sure if summer blend has reached our region as of yet , if not can possibly see more of increase . 1st fill after removal of studded snows the calculated mileage was 44 while the ECO-METER read 41 . Which one should we believe . That's the most the E.M. has ever been off ( wonder if E.M. was only familiar with the studded snows ? ) . Before the E.M. has been only off by less than .5 below the calculated mileage . Either way I'll take it . 44 be nicer . Since the 2nd fill the car lost the 1st bar at 80.1 miles and is averaging 41.1 on the E.M..

Last edited by Hershey; 03-21-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
. Literally .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
All the more reason to use a grille block in the cold months. I just took mine back out last weekend. I'll put it back in sometime in November or December.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
sbergman27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
All the more reason to use a grille block in the cold months. I just took mine back out last weekend. I'll put it back in sometime in November or December.
There was a post on teamswift.net some time back from a guy who lived in (I think) Alaska... or Antarctica... or somewhere. He posted an interesting HowTo on lining the bottom side of the hood of his Geo Metro with a heat reflective blanket with a layer of insulation bonded to the back of it. The idea being to reflect any radiant heat back onto the engine, while providing extra insulation, as well.

As you know, I'm a sort of show-me-the-data kind of guy... so I'm not actually advocating this. But it is, at least, an interesting idea. Especially for perpetually cold climates. I assume that he already used a grille block.

Funny... those fake louvres we see on some cars as decorations (Hi 1979 Lincoln Mark V! I'm thinking of you!) used to actually function, back in the day. The driver had a pull-knob to close them to facilitate warm up. Then again, the driver also had a choke pull-knob and an ignition timing pull-knob. Always remember to pull both of those before trying to start the car. Failing to retard the timing could actually be deadly to the person turning the starting crank.[1] But that issue was a bit earlier, back in the 1900s and 1910s. It was a fellow whose friend was killed in just such a timing/crank accident who invented the electric starter which Cadillac introduced in 1912.

-Steve

[1] Consider what happens when the timing is advanced before TDC.

Last edited by sbergman27; 03-22-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Sounds insignificant when you put it that way. And for someone who puts a lot of miles on their car every day, it probably is.

My typical trip is 3-5 miles. At 40 mpg, that's an average of about .10 gallons per trip.

If I let the car sit and warm up before every trip, I'd use 30% more fuel!!!

(even if you only count the .03 gallons on the initial start-up, it still adds up to 15% of my total fuel usage on a typical day)

Needless to say, I'm in the "drive it easy until it warms up" contingent. I get in the car, buckle my seatbelt, put the transmission in gear (manual trans), release the handbrake and check my mirrors all before turning the key. As soon as the engine is started I'm letting the clutch out and backing out of my driveway!

Unless the air temp is fairly cool (below 60-65 degrees), the "cool" light is usually off after the 3rd stop sign in my neighborhood, just before I turn onto the main road.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
sbergman27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Sounds insignificant when you put it that way. And for someone who puts a lot of miles on their car every day, it probably is. My typical trip is 3-5 miles. At 40 mpg, that's an average of about .10 gallons per trip.
Yes, indeed. I'm not necessarily *prescribing* anything. My usage is substantially skewed towards longs trips where I get in the car at 6 AM in Alamogordo, New Mexico, and get out of the car, not knowing what time it is, in "What Town Was This, Again", Montana. No one even bothered to find out what the warm up fuel consumption was before having a back and forth discussion of the relative merits of warming up the car earlier in this thread.

I'd just like to see more quantitative discussions.

City driving *is* admittedly a lot messier, though.

-Steve
Old 03-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
sbergman27

Quote:
My typical trip is 3-5 miles. At 40 mpg, that's an average of about .10 gallons per trip. If I let the car sit and warm up before every trip, I'd use 30% more fuel!!!
No. Because even driving gently, you'd be using a lot more fuel than the tiny sip the engine takes at idle. And that additional fuel would be used under cold conditions in which the engine would be consuming significantly more fuel per horsepower-second than it would if it had been warmed up (investing that 0.03 gal of fuel) first.

My *intuition* agrees with you. But my intuition could be as wrong as yours. We need to test experimentally. (My bad. I haven't gotten to it.) Otherwise, we're no better scientists than was Aristotle.

-Steve
Old 03-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I get what you're saying. Potentially, the fuel used to warm-up plus the first mile or so of driving a WARMED UP engine could add up to less fuel usage than driving a cold engine for a mile or so. Maybe in some super-cold climate this might be possible. I can tell you from my observations in MY climate (Florida, almost always above 60 degrees) using a ScanGauge that eliminating the warm-up gives me better results. I don't need to quantify it more than that for my own purposes.

I'm not a "pure numbers" guy. I understand the physics and usually have a grasp on the math involved, but I "live" the philosophy derived from it.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
sbergman27

Quote:
I can tell you from my observations in MY climate (Florida, almost always above 60 degrees) using a ScanGauge that eliminating the warm-up gives me better results.
You know what? If your State weren't so damned far away, I'd likely be there every weekend from November through March.

A simple Golden Girls episode on this difficult and thorny social issue would have been nice. I'd love to have seen Betty White trying to work the ScanGauge...

:-)

-Steve
Old 08-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
rene0023

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Very useful information...
rene0023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:08 AM   #12
Chaldon

Drives: 08 Yaris 3d
jeeze, 11 pages!!! I'll have to take a break and come back...

Last edited by Chaldon; 10-14-2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: actually this post is on page 12
Chaldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
galactic7gecko

Drives: Toyota Yaris
This is all fascinating info. I have changed my driving habits/maintenance somewhat since discovering this thread. I have a couple questions though. My record MPG is only 36 and this was taking it slow. I have a 3 dr hatchback AT, tires are at 36 PSI (maximum recommended by manufacturer), I use the recommended oil, I just ordered a scan gauge II. I would be ecstatic just to break 40 MPG! I coast whenever possible and shift to neutral whenever possible. I hope the Scan Gauge guide me.

Does anybody have any other recommendations or do I just not have an efficient version of the Yaris!?!?

Thanks!
galactic7gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #14
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic7gecko View Post
This is all fascinating info. I have changed my driving habits/maintenance somewhat since discovering this thread. I have a couple questions though. My record MPG is only 36 and this was taking it slow. I have a 3 dr hatchback AT, tires are at 36 PSI (maximum recommended by manufacturer), I use the recommended oil, I just ordered a scan gauge II. I would be ecstatic just to break 40 MPG! I coast whenever possible and shift to neutral whenever possible. I hope the Scan Gauge guide me.

Does anybody have any other recommendations or do I just not have an efficient version of the Yaris!?!?

Thanks!
Slow down. Seriously, if you think you are driving like your grandmother, you are prolly going too fast. And pretend their is a grenade under the pedals. The less you use them, and the softer you press them, the better your gas mileage will be.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #15
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic7gecko View Post

Thanks!
What's your commute like? Is it mostly highway or city? Is the terrain generally flat or do you have a lot of hills? What's the average temperature when you're driving? These are other factors that affect your MPG but the biggest thing is driving.

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #16
galactic7gecko

Drives: Toyota Yaris
My commute is around 20 miles round trip its mostly flat except for the freeway where it tends to get a little hilly with the exits and ramps and all. The avg temperature of where I drive is around 90 is this beneficial?.. Sunny Corpus Christi, TX... it always seems to be hot! The highest mpg I've managed to achieve is 36 mpg is this because I have an automatic transmission? Thanks for the replies KrazyDawg and Why? I just installed my SGII and I'm awaiting to see how this tank goes. I'm really hoping to break 40, any other words of wisdom?
galactic7gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #17
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
so you probably use your a/c all the time, that doesn't help, but i wouldn't turn it off either.

The SG2 is a great thing to have. Use it, and it will help you get better gas mileage.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #18
Nahtorious

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Sorry if i've been living under a rock, but what's an SG2?
Nahtorious is offline   Reply With Quote