Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: I am interested in... (Select all that apply)
Modified Front bumper 48 63.16%
Modified Rear bumper 50 65.79%
MicroImage Hood 39 51.32%
RBK Spoiler 30 39.47%
RBK Eyelids (v3) 26 34.21%
RBK Sideskirts 34 44.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #181
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
TK I really appreciate what you're doing here but I think it's going to be hard to get people to pay up front. Perhaps judging from the success of the Micro Image hood, you could get in touch with Garm to finish the body kit?
I agree that getting the full body kit made like this is a stretch, but at least we can get some components made this way while I can figure out how to get the rest of the stuff done.

Plus, it gives this project some traction, which can't be all that bad.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #182
tk-421
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen View Post
I need to know what the final design will be. Without a hole for the exhaust? (I still think this is the best solution)
The final design will be exactly as you describe it. A hole in the bumper may help a few people out, but will annoy everyone else.

Maaayyyybe I can get different variations made later on (with holes in different areas), but it seems unlikely to happen at this point.

Quote:
Will it fit a EU Yaris without modifications (because a JDM bumper also doesn't fit a US Yaris without extra modifications)
The bumper will be guaranteed to fit USDM cars. This means that people will not need to remove the crash bars from the car in order to fit the bumper successfully. It should also fit EU cars without problems, but your car will have a bigger butt than before.

Quote:
And I also think shipping will be a problem for me.
I may have a solution for that problem. I'll ask around and let you know soon.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #183
tk-421
Super Moderator

Based on (very) conservative numbers, we will need 10-15 pieces per mold in order to break even. I think that's not too bad... I still need to confirm this with the fabricator (went on a deserved vacation).

The following molds need to be fabricated:
  • Front bumper (MSRP: ~$350)
  • Rear bumper (MSRP: ~$325)
  • Sideskirts (MSRP: ~$325)

We already have molds for the following:
  • RBK Spoiler (MSRP: $180)
  • RBK Eyelids (MSRP: $65)

So here's what I propose:
  • First of all, if you are on the list at the top of this thread, you get an automatic 10% off your total order.
  • If you purchase one orange item, you receive a 30% discount towards the purchase of a blue item, or a 15% discount towards your total order (your choice).
  • If you get 2 orange items, you get either a 50% discount towards the purchase of a blue item, or a 25% discount on your existing order (your choice).
  • If you purchase a blue item, then you do not qualify an additional discount (since we already have molds for those pieces). You may still qualify for the first discount if you got your name on the list while it was open.

You could be easily save quite a bit of cash if you are willing to pay in advance. Turnaround times should be around 5-7 weeks (max) for the first pieces, and obviously much less for the following run(s).

Again, these prices are likely bound to change, and are posted just to get the ball rolling until I get the final prices confirmed.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by tk-421; 02-01-2010 at 11:14 PM.
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #184
tk-421
Super Moderator

I just hope enough money gets raised this way in order to get these made! It would sure make me happy to have my own custom kit.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #185
tk-421
Super Moderator

Oh, and one last thing: These prices and quantities are for FIBERGLASS molds/pieces. Urethane pieces might have to increase around 15-25% just because of the molds...
Old 02-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #186
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
OK TK I went tru most of this thread so is this just for the LB ?
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #187
tk-421
Super Moderator

Yup, this thread is for LB only folks... Unless, of curse, you can gather around 15 people to do whatever you want for the sedan as well.

The point is that we need enough demand. I'm willing to get anything fabbed up as long as there's enough demand and I don't end with a huge overhead.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:58 PM   #188
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
well damn tk this isn't looking good.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #189
tk-421
Super Moderator

I understand these prices are a bit on the high side, but they most likely will get cheaper as more people sign up to pay in advance.

I wish I had the cash to start this project on my own, but it's simply not an option at the moment.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #190
tk-421
Super Moderator

Seriously guys? Not ONE comment?
I'm going to need more input from everybody if this project is ever going to take off.

How much are you guys willing to pay for each piece? Maybe we can start there...
Old 02-03-2010, 06:54 AM   #191
Jochen

Drives: Yaris D-4D
All I'm interested in is the rear bumper, so I get 25% discount, right? (because I'm on the list)
I'm also willing to pay in advance but then I need to know if it can be shipped to Europe (and what the costs are). I know you were already looking for that.

I think most people will wait because they want to see the final product first, but I got the RBK spoiler and it's perfect, so I have faith in this.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #192
tk-421
Super Moderator

Yeah you're covered as far as the discount goes. Unfortunately that won't matter unless the people that were once interested in these pieces speak up.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #193
Jochen

Drives: Yaris D-4D
I'm also a little bit disappointed. First there was so much interest. And now...

And I have another question. Is there going to be a hole for the license plate lights? If so, do you know if EU and US use the same size of light? (I think they're different, but not sure)
Old 02-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #194
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I'm also a little bit disappointed. First there was so much interest. And now...
yeah, I learned that lesson the hard way. After ordering bodykits from Thailand based on such great interest, many members backed out when they actually got here. I still have some stock after a year+.

So I totally understand TK's appoach, which is to do this as a Group Buy with people willing to pay first. It's just too risky any other way.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #195
lowsushi
Akiba Otaku

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5dr
Send a message via AIM to lowsushi Send a message via Yahoo to lowsushi
I think most are scared of the cost of getting them prepped/painted/fitted on. It is one thing you really dont think about. I know that caught me off guard. Also I think people want to see a finished product to compare to others on the market.

I know I am buying a RBK spoiler with my tax refund, sorry that won't help out here though.

PS3 Trophies
lowsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #196
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
damn this sucks ass I wish I had some money
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #197
tk-421
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen View Post
Is there going to be a hole for the license plate lights? If so, do you know if EU and US use the same size of light? (I think they're different, but not sure)
I think holes vary from country to country, so we would look into how to accommodate different plates when the time to make the molds comes.

It would be helpful if you could send me a pic of how the holes are distributed in your bumpers so that we can take a look. TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsushi View Post
I think most are scared of the cost of getting them prepped/painted/fitted on. It is one thing you really dont think about. I know that caught me off guard. Also I think people want to see a finished product to compare to others on the market.
Well, maybe we could set it up so that one fabricator paints a whole bunch of pieces once they are all made. That way costs would down substantially. If there is enough interest in getting them painted, then my fabber might actually consider doing it as well. There just needs to be enough volume to justify all the extra costs.

As far as the bold part, that just can't happen. There is too much risk involved to invest in something that may/may not sell.

Quote:
I know I am buying a RBK spoiler with my tax refund, sorry that won't help out here though.
That may not help with this project, but it sure helps with the spoiler project! So thanks a bunch.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #198
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
well i already have the spoiler and don't really plan on buying anything else except maybe the eyelids but i could donate a little to the cause if it will help. say like $100. i really don't mind putting up the money for something like this. i think it's pretty cool what you are trying to do.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote