Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #2035
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Derick,

You're going to flip. I did something almost unthinkable to some on Team Hybrids. Drop an e-mail when you have a few minutes. This is going to have you scratching your head. :)
Old 06-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #2036
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
You know...if you have the time, the IASCA finals is in Indianapolis in October...

...and I wouldn't be getting the Ultima for sound... >;)
I would love to go! but now I can't see it happen, 3 weeks ago I lost my second job that means no treats for now.

Where in Indianapolis? I'm going to search for excuses to go jeje.

Yeah I didn't think the Ultima would please your sound quality desires but it does in other ways!

D.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #2037
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I agree that a full hard top would be better, but I strongly disagree you would need to buy a full donor car. The WRX/STi aftermarket is gigantic, you could easily pick and choose any pieces you need, without ever owning a full car.

I've never been a fan of V-8's. Just not my thing. A turbo Supra still would be my favorite. Straight six and as much hp as you really could ever want. The top ones put out 1200+. Or if I could stuff a EVO 4g64 into an awd eclipse I'd do that. I just love the designs of the old gen awd eclipses.

I think for a full sq sound car something like a Lexus IS F or a Infinity G coupe. Or of course an Audi or BMW or something like that. Mostly because anything in the luxury range will already come with a ton and a half of dampening.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #2038
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I hear you on the 6-cylinder thing. Just a fan of the 8's...more potential on all levels as I see it. It'll take less involvement on an 8 for me to see a 600+ HP normally aspirated...no lag, no loss. Fuel? That's something else. The whole idea of the Ultima is just for a weekender/track day car that can be driven on the street and that can lay down some serious lap times compared to the exotics for a heck of a lot less coin.

As for picking...you still have to pick. Regardless of where you get it. That will cost. Yes, it will probably be less than 60K though, admittedly. More like 30-40 I'm thinking. There's just something about a rolex series type car with a nice 8 in it that floats my boat.

SQ car? not without some serious modification...I wouldn't do that.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #2039
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

@ Derick...

That JVC HU is out ASAP. It doesn't even compare to the output on our decks.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #2040
derickveliz2

Took the family for a ride! we all end up singing "Rock A Bye Your Bear" The Wiggles

even kids music sounds pretty good.

D.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #2041
derickveliz2

mmm sq system can be addictive, and dangerous... some times when cruising on the high way, I just loose notion of where I'm am, dam music makes the car disappear and makes me feel I'm somewhere else! LOL

D.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #2042
derickveliz2

BTW,...

I've been playing with the left side tweeter, you guys are not going to believe what I'm trying to do!

Stage getting wider and deeper!

D.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #2043
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Do tell...Pictures are appropriate as well. :)
Old 07-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #2044
derickveliz2

No pictures today, still a secrete but I'm cutting metal again!

D.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:02 AM   #2045
derickveliz2

OK, I'm going to need help! (advice)

I'm trying to dig in the tweeter in the a-pillar into the metal, so how do I cut a round circle there? I did a few holes with a small bit just to check I get the clearance in the back and there are no structural members.

Why I'm doing this? is because I'm physically moving the tweeter's position by 3.5 inches forward and almost 2 inches towards the left side, I'm loosing about 3-4 inches of height but I did try the tweeter and stage still up high, so that I don't mind, but...

the fact that the stage got wider and deeper from actual location the end result it's very satisfactory, so I really would like to sink in this tweeter there, any advice is welcome! I guess I need a special tool?

These pictures show the left a-pillar and the round wood peace represents the circle I want to cut away:

D.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #2046
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

How were you cutting the hole? That angle is tricky because of the glass.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #2047
derickveliz2

I was thinking of making a series of holes around the perimeter then try to trim the imperfections with a dremel, but it's so hard to do each hole. I was hopping to find a good tool that would make my life easier.

D.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #2048
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Why not just use a hole saw.. It looks like there is enough room to get a drill in there..

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #2049
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

That proposed hole is VERY close to the glass...that's the challenge. Know that the hole is only the size of a tweeter. Can a right angle adaptor give enough torque to drive a hole saw?

The dremel idea may be the best at the moment.

:) whadyamean you can't angle a sawzall in there?!? :)
Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #2050
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
That proposed hole is VERY close to the glass...that's the challenge. Know that the hole is only the size of a tweeter. Can a right angle adaptor give enough torque to drive a hole saw?

The dremel idea may be the best at the moment.

:) whadyamean you can't angle a sawzall in there?!? :)
well aslong as there is no glass directly behind you're proposed hole, drill a centered pilot hole, and the hole saw will stay perfectly on line.. Ive seen one drift when dont that way..

But i get the hesitation.. I guess the dremel probably is the way you would wanna go..

And if you do try the sawzall, please get it on video!!!! haha
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #2051
derickveliz2

Some thing like a hole saw mentioned above is what I had in mind, Yes a dremel may be the power tool, now because of the angle of the a-pillar the dremel will not be exactly perpendicular to the cut, I hope that would not be an issue.

I'll stop by tomorrow at the local store and see if I can find a hole saw that fits the size of the hole that I need.

Thanks

D.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:45 AM   #2052
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

It's not the bit I'm concerned with in using a hole saw that close to the glass...

If you think a dremel is too big, a drill body is massive...one needs to get the hole saw bit straight on just like the dremel. Can you squeeze yourself into a good place on that dash to hit the pillar straight on with either option?