Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #2053
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
I understand all of this. I would say that since they revised the testing criteria in 2008 the numbers are closer to reality.

the 2nd gen yaris that had been rated at 34/40 got changed to 29/36 under the new criteria. personally, I had always beaten the old highway numbers without that much effort in all my Toyotas. the post 2008 highway numbers are very easy top beat now, imo.

there are definitely some cars out where hitting the epa numbers is harder, but even in my 2012 veloster and accent I could beat the numbers without too much hassle. it is much easier to do so in the yaris, as was the case with my fiat 500.

I suppose the epa tests could be better designed to reflect drivers who keep their foot on the gas until they are 50 feet from stop signs/lights, accelerate hard out of every stop, exceed the speed limit by 10+ mph all day, don't maintain their vehicles, etc, etc...However, i don't think the current numbers are too unrealistic for drivers who don't do those things.
Have you missed all the lawsuits? Hyundai had to change the rating on almost every single one of its cars after it was sued, Honda and Ford overrated their hybrids by as much as 10 mpg, and it seems like almost every manufacturer besides Toyota has been sued.

If the tests were done in the real world and not a lab they might actually mean something. The fact the numbers are beatable doesn't mean they are accurate.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #2054
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Have you missed all the lawsuits? Hyundai had to change the rating on almost every single one of its cars after it was sued, Honda and Ford overrated their hybrids by as much as 10 mpg, and it seems like almost every manufacturer besides Toyota has been sued.

If the tests were done in the real world and not a lab they might actually mean something. The fact the numbers are beatable doesn't mean they are accurate.
the Hyundai numbers got adjusted down, but as a member of those forums when I had the veloster and accent, I can say beating the initial numbers wasn't a big deal, except for those who wanted to drive however they felt like and still expect to get decent mpg figures.

it is a litigation happy society, to be sure. too many folks want protection from self inflicted irresponsibility. there may be some cases where cars have been grossly overrated, but in the vast majority of general internet forum complaints about poor mileage, the drivers are the main culprit.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #2055
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I understand all of this. I would say that since they revised the testing criteria in 2008 the numbers are closer to reality.

the 2nd gen yaris that had been rated at 34/40 got changed to 29/36 under the new criteria. personally, I had always beaten the old highway numbers without that much effort in all my Toyotas. the post 2008 highway numbers are very easy top beat now, imo.

there are definitely some cars out where hitting the epa numbers is harder, but even in my 2012 veloster and accent I could beat the numbers without too much hassle. it is much easier to do so in the yaris, as was the case with my fiat 500.

I suppose the epa tests could be better designed to reflect drivers who keep their foot on the gas until they are 50 feet from stop signs/lights, accelerate hard out of every stop, exceed the speed limit by 10+ mph all day, don't maintain their vehicles, etc, etc...However, i don't think the current numbers are too unrealistic for drivers who don't do those things.
How did you feel about the Veloster? Likes? Dislikes?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #2056
roxy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
How did you feel about the Veloster? Likes? Dislikes?
for $18k, it was (mostly) the nicest car by far ive ever driven anywhere near that price range. awesome seats/seating position and silky smooth manual shifter, nicely appointed interior. I could get 40 mpg's highway without too much work, though in the 500 and yaris it is much easier. it stayed very flat through hard cornering, which was fun. the downsides were the ride was just too firm for my tastes for an everyday driver and the low rear glass was not the best choice for transporting dogs, which I do often.

some complained that the veloster promised much more on looks than it delivered in driving performance. essentially, it is an economy car (same 1.6 direct injection engine as the accent) underneath that looks very cool (depending on ones taste) and has an interior nicer than most econoboxes.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #2057
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
for $18k, it was (mostly) the nicest car by far ive ever driven anywhere near that price range. awesome seats/seating position and silky smooth manual shifter, nicely appointed interior. I could get 40 mpg's highway without too much work, though in the 500 and yaris it is much easier. it stayed very flat through hard cornering, which was fun. the downsides were the ride was just too firm for my tastes for an everyday driver and the low rear glass was not the best choice for transporting dogs, which I do often.

some complained that the veloster promised much more on looks than it delivered in driving performance. essentially, it is an economy car (same 1.6 direct injection engine as the accent) underneath that looks very cool (depending on ones taste) and has an interior nicer than most econoboxes.
Thanks for the info. I like the styling. One of my neighbors has had one for about 6 months (they also have an Accent SE, and a full sized pickup). My neighbor's Veloster is Yellow (an ugh Yellow, IMO), and I've been hoping I'd see a white one. A few days ago I finally saw a white one, and liked what I saw. Any problems with clearance/scraping when you had yours (speed bumps, and transitions from roads into parking lots) ?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #2058
roxy1

Quote:
Any problems with clearance/scraping when you had yours (speed bumps, and transitions from roads into parking lots) ?
not that I can recall. I only had it at the tail end of that years winter, so can say much about driving in snow. I doubt the ground clearance is much different then the yaris.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #2059
nookandcrannycar

^^^^^ Thanks. I like the way you captured the car relative to the background in the pic . I would think that the color of the interior (in addition to the configuration of the space as mentioned) might have been less than ideal as well re transporting dogs.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #2060
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
The sedan F.E. is starting to creep up , even with the Blizzak snows .
Attached Images

Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #2061
roxy1

Quote:
^^^^^ Thanks. I like the way you captured the car relative to the background in the pic . I would think that the color of the interior (in addition to the configuration of the space as mentioned) might have been less than ideal as well re transporting dogs.
yeah, im about 6'1", and the top of my head would touch the glass sitting in the rear seat. however, if I had to fold the rear seat down and put several dogs in, their backs were against the glass...not optimal.

besides, I often felt the interior was too nice for having dogs in there all the time.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #2062
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Called a local gas supplier and was told summer blend not expected until 1st week of May . Meanwhile , RBOB is at $2.998 , hopefully it'll stop rising .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #2063
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
I got about 6,5l/100km (36MPG) with the last oil fill (5W40; nothing else was available), now I put in 5W30 (the manual recommends 0W20, but I'm driving at rather high highway speeds (140...170km/h) (not only but also to let the fuel contents in the oil evaporate) and I want to reduce the engine's wear)
I'm driving about 20km per day through town and 2*80km (50mi) highway about every second week.
It's 8...9l/100km on highway and ~6l/100km in town.
I'll report how the values develop ;)
Old 04-21-2014, 06:36 AM   #2064
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
I didn't see a direct impact on FE yet, but seemingly the engine can keep up turning at load points where it would give up before.
My new highway speed record is 115,5MPH now (remember, I only have a 5spd MT) :D
Old 04-27-2014, 06:09 AM   #2065
rustyspanner

Drives: 2010 Yaris YR 5 door
I've just done my first fuel economy calculation, the most exciting part of owning my Yaris! Mine is a 1.3 litre 5 door hatch with manual transmission. The fuel gauge started flashing at 610 km, when I filled up it took 37.5 litres. That's 6.15 l/100 km, or 38.25 MPG. Have followed tips on this site, ie. DFCO, pulse and glide, 36psi tires, timing lights etc. I hope to get a better result next week as my first tank included a lot of highway driving, which I suspect the 1.3 is not so efficient at.
rustyspanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #2066
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
My Yaris is getting pretty decent fuel efficiency. My Fuelly signature gives the latest estimate of basically 40 MPG in USA measurements. This is 7.1 litres per 100 kms or 17 KPL. I think these conversions are correct since I Googled them.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #2067
746watts

Drives: 2014 yaris hybrid
I bought my yaris hybrid in feb 14. I have over 19000kms on it now. Fuel economy at 100kms motorway driving is typically 55mpg (imp gal). I got 64mpg at 80kmph. No where near the claimed 80mpg (imp gal).
746watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #2068
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 746watts View Post
I bought my yaris hybrid in feb 14. I have over 19000kms on it now. Fuel economy at 100kms motorway driving is typically 55mpg (imp gal). I got 64mpg at 80kmph. No where near the claimed 80mpg (imp gal).
First, hybrid car in general and this one in particular are optimized for city driving. Yaris hybrid is known in USA as Prius c (I guess c for city).

Second, Euro fuel efficiency tests are too optimistic and not real life. US EPA tests are closer to real life. Fuelly is as real life as it gets.

Be warned, this forum is very hostile toward hybrid cars. Too many folks here have a chip on their shoulder.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #2069
roxy1

Quote:
welcome, welcome, welcome!!!

its nice to see you can get the YARIS hybrid where you live. we don't get that here. the Prius C is sold here, which is very much a prius in looks/style, though built on the same platform.

many here were hoping we would get the YARIS hybrid, but we didn't.

at least someone can get a YARIS that is a hybrid rather than another version of the prius.

yes, I agree the hybrid strength is in the city, though the vast majority that I see are cruising the highways.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #2070
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
It is all about changing the way you drive. You cannot drive a hybrid like you drive a normal car and expect to get the advertised gas mileage, you have to totally change the way you drive.

You almost have to totally re learn how you drive to hit the great gas mileage numbers.

Oh, and show us some pictures.

btw, I can almost get 55 mpg imp in my Yaris. Hybrids are terrible on highways.