Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #199
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
that's beautiful. excel can be your friend. that will show you the advantages and disadvantages to your intake manifold.

you have quite the project going here. now I am chompin at the bit for more.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #200
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
Stock air box...removed carbon filter and im running an Apex-i drop in replacement filter. I made a full custom 2" mandrelbent exhaust. I also have amsoil synthetic trans and engine oil. Also i have a weaponr header too
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Ah, there's where you got those extra horses.

Since I have a header and an axleback, that bigest gain is found in the midpipe.
FWIW, I ran 106whp/107wtq with intake, 2.25" crush bent resonator-axle section and a Megan axleback .....no header

Dyno's vary and can really only be relied on comparisons to personal runs....or if a stock yaris runs on the same day. That said, 100whp with the wimpy stock 1.75" midpipe makes sense...
Old 07-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #201
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
I understand... and that's why I'm not concerned with the absolute output of any one dyno run as far as the exhaust is concerned. Right now I'm focused on the intake manifold and in the relative difference between two dyno runs with the manifold as the only difference.

Maybe later on I'll post another thread on "tooter's exhaust adventure". But not now. Just one project at a time.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #202
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
that's beautiful. excel can be your friend. that will show you the advantages and disadvantages to your intake manifold.

you have quite the project going here. now I am chompin at the bit for more.
I don't even have excel. That's just a copy of what Harry emailed to me. He was very competent, diligent, and thorough.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #203
tooter
play every day

Finalized the flange today. And they'll be starting on the throttle body adaptor next week. I'll be getting some scans of the 3D rendering this evening and will post an image. This is the CNC machine...

And this is the material for the prototype...

Old 07-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #204
BEEF

I may want to throw those number in excel myself (if you don't mind) that way you will see the positive and negative areas of your intake manifold once you get the second dyno. if he doesn't provide those differences I would be glad to throw it together. it would only take a few minutes.

after getting under my car, I can see where the 1.75" exhaust is really restrictive. you may want to do an exhaust thread (after you finish with this one).

how much are they charging you to run on the dyno? I want to run my car when it is all said and done with my mods. I was quoted $75 but not sure how many runs that is for. just trying to get something for comparison.

I wish I had a toy like that in my garage (the CNC machine)....I wish I had a garage. lol
Old 07-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #205
tooter
play every day

Quote:
I may want to throw those number in excel myself (if you don't mind) that way you will see the positive and negative areas of your intake manifold once you get the second dyno. if he doesn't provide those differences I would be glad to throw it together. it would only take a few minutes.
Please be my guest.

Quote:
after getting under my car, I can see where the 1.75" exhaust is really restrictive. you may want to do an exhaust thread (after you finish with this one).
Sure will.
I just can't change anything until after the second dyno runs with the prototype manifold installed.

Quote:
how much are they charging you to run on the dyno? I want to run my car when it is all said and done with my mods. I was quoted $75 but not sure how many runs that is for. just trying to get something for comparison.
It was $100 for the set of three runs... and I was happy to pay that for the service, because there is no other objective way to accurately quantify the change in performance with the prototype manifold.

Quote:
I wish I had a toy like that in my garage (the CNC machine)....I wish I had a garage. lol
It's truly an amazing tool. I'm scheduled for machine time on Tuesday, the 17th.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #206
tooter
play every day

Here's the 3D pics of the manifold adaptor flange...

They were done with Pro/Engineer 3D solid CAD modelling software.

If I can get time off work, I'll take a video of the machine making the part.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #207
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
They were done with Pro/Engineer 3D solid CAD modelling software.
Noooooooo!! I learned Pro/E my freshman year at school and didn't like it very much. I've heard that it's great for sheetmetal work, but it's much clunkier and difficult to do solid modeling that competing products. That said, it does accomplish the task. I'm really stoked about seeing this project come together!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #208
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Noooooooo!! I learned Pro/E my freshman year at school and didn't like it very much. I've heard that it's great for sheetmetal work, but it's much clunkier and difficult to do solid modeling that competing products. That said, it does accomplish the task. I'm really stoked about seeing this project come together!
I know nothing about software. As long as it generates the right information so that the machine can make a part that fits.

In this pic you can see how the two outer ports slightly angle inward to meet the offset intake ports on the head. That's why I specified a 1 inch thick flange, so that the transition between the two would be reasonably smooth.

Here's the view fromt he other side where the transition is a little more noticeable. It's before adding the grooves for the stock O ring manifold gasket...

Old 07-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #209
BEEF

is it really going to be an inch thick? I assume you are going to use different bolts to mount it.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #210
tooter
play every day

Sure. They're readily available from the hardware store.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #211
BEEF

Quote:
Just got back from the dyno shop...

I think my excel sheet matches up pretty well. DATA!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #212
tooter
play every day

But what does it mean?
Old 07-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #213
BEEF

just making sure our graphs line up. I can't wait for the second set. I am hoping to do a graph of the difference so you can see the drawbacks and advantages. I am hoping that there won't be much loss in the lower RPM range (2-3k) and a descen amount in the upper (4-5). I don't really care about 5-6k as most people don't hang out there much.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #214
tooter
play every day

Quote:
just making sure our graphs line up. I can't wait for the second set. I am hoping to do a graph of the difference so you can see the drawbacks and advantages. I am hoping that there won't be much loss in the lower RPM range (2-3k) and a descen amount in the upper (4-5). I don't really care about 5-6k as most people don't hang out there much.
Harry said that's likely going to happen. Definitely losses at the bottom with the possibility of gains at the top. How much is given up at the bottom is the question we'll find out.

We drive ours around hardly going over 3,000 rpm, so it's probably not going to help us for our uses. But since we already drive the car gently, the loss shouldn't be a problem. We'll just step on the gas a little more. I'm really curious on how much the gas mileage will decrease... although there's a chance that freeway mileage might increase.

There's only one thing we know for sure... at least it'll look really cool.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #215
BEEF

I really like the look of the manifold you are using. here is an example of what I am talking about. of the 3 runs, here is the deviation between the worst and the best at each point (100 RPM step). I started it at 2500 since that was the first place I had all 3 data points. just to give an idea.

one trace for torque and one for horespower. seems you are within around 3 hp or ft/lbs even during the steep sloped part. actually a pretty tight grouping.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #216
tooter
play every day

I see. That kind of graph could be especially useful to visually portray the difference between the before and after manifold runs.