Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #217
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
How about putting some pressure on each with a c-clamp or stacking them and using one clamp?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #218
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
How about putting some pressure on each with a c-clamp or stacking them and using one clamp?
I'll try this tomorrow after work and report back
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #219
MGargano

Quote:
A preliminary run of this didn't seem to work but I only used one clamp per sensor. I'm also not sure which part is actually sensing the weight. Is it the four raised buttons on top?

Also, there is a threaded hole in the side of each bracket which goes through the black button in the right of this pic. It looks like the bolt goes through the button and touches the metal body of the sensor. I'm not sure if it's providing some kind of ground, etc.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #220
CTScott
ULTIMATE

In the bottom pic, the flat area between those two buttons with the flexible flat cable coming off is the actual sensor. You need to put pressure on the plate below the buttons (which looks like it floats on the shafts below the buttons), without actually crunching the orange circuit board. You could cut a piece of wood or metal to just fit between the two buttons, and then clamp that against the plate below the circuit board.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #221
MGargano

Ok I'll give that a try when I get home.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #222
CTScott
ULTIMATE

When I have a chance later today I'll do some experimentation with the OCS on Crashy.

I replaced her popped airbags and pretensioners with resistors last night and reset the SRS ECU (It took me about 10 rounds to get it fully reset and I even rigged a momentary switch up to make it easier). She had more than 10 stored SRS DTC's.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #223
MGargano

I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me having problems clearing the SRS codes!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #224
CTScott
ULTIMATE

You really have to either memorize the pattern or have a second person there to read the instructions to you. I was monkeying with it at midnight, so I couldn't recruit one of my kids to help me.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #225
MGargano

After about 20 attempts, I finally ended up just memorizing it. I was also getting thrown by the lack of a 3 second delay in the first step and the fact that it was close to 95 degrees while I was trying to do this. Extending the length of the jumper wires definitely helped though.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #226
CTScott
ULTIMATE

OK. Now that the SRS is happy, I just did some experimentation with the OCS. The resistors will definitely not work, as there is a signal component as well from the sensor. There is a DC voltage, which is proportional to the weight applied to the sensor, but there is also an analog waveform on the signal pin. When I connected the resistors and power on the ignition, I would see the correct voltage on the signal pin for a couple of seconds, then the voltage would drop to zero and the passenger seat belt light would flash rapidly. Checking the DTC showed a 32. After disconnecting the battery and reconnecting the sensor, the DTC would go away and the OCS would operate normally. Tonight I am going to pull the sensors off of the seat, so I can experiment with one.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #227
MGargano

Quote:
OK. Now that the SRS is happy, I just did some experimentation with the OCS. The resistors will definitely not work, as there is a signal component as well from the sensor. There is a DC voltage, which is proportional to the weight applied to the sensor, but there is also an analog waveform on the signal pin. When I connected the resistors and power on the ignition, I would see the correct voltage on the signal pin for a couple of seconds, then the voltage would drop to zero and the passenger seat belt light would flash rapidly. Checking the DTC showed a 32. After disconnecting the battery and reconnecting the sensor, the DTC would go away and the OCS would operate normally. Tonight I am going to pull the sensors off of the seat, so I can experiment with one.
I'm glad to hear, again, that it's not just me having problems with this. I look forward to hearing what you discover when you pull the sensors.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #228
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I just took the seat apart (which turned out to be a challenge, as my largest torx bit is a T30). I realized that you can separate the seat base from the seat. Doing so provides a great way to mount an aftermarket seat to the four sensors. The silver bolts sticking out of the sensors are the mounting points. It seems like four heavy gauge L brackets or two 16" long pieces of angle iron are all that would be required.

Seat Base.jpg
Old 08-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #229
MGargano

Mine looks the same... minus all the rust and that my sensors aren't bolted to the base anymore. But my passenger's seat is in two pieces like yours.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #230
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Did you consider mounting your new seats to the base?

By the way, the carpet was completely saturated and the spare tire well was full to the top with water, hence the wicked rust.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #231
MGargano

Quote:
Did you consider mounting your new seats to the base?
I honestly didn't think of it since the new seats came with Wedge brackets, which are much lower than the OEM base. I figured the two seats would be at different heights if I were to mount the passenger to the OEM bracket and keep the driver on the Wedge bracket. Plus, I'm not sure if the new seat bolts up to the OEM bracket.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #232
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGargano View Post
I honestly didn't think of it since the new seats came with Wedge brackets, which are much lower than the OEM base. I figured the two seats would be at different heights if I were to mount the passenger to the OEM bracket and keep the driver on the Wedge bracket. Plus, I'm not sure if the new seat bolts up to the OEM bracket.

OK. Just a thought, while I was under there. I was thinking that if you mounted the passenger seat to the OEM base, that you would also mount the driver seat that way. I haven't pulled that one yet, but it looks like there's an equivalent height set of mounting points on that side.

Anyway, I removed the sensors. With them off of the base I am still seeing voltage on the sensor signal wires. The airbag off light was on. I clamped all four sensors with c clamps and now have the airbag on light.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #233
MGargano

Quote:
OK. Just a thought, while I was under there. I was thinking that if you mounted the passenger seat to the OEM base, that you would also mount the driver seat that way. I haven't pulled that one yet, but it looks like there's an equivalent height set of mounting points on that side.

Anyway, I removed the sensors. With them off of the base I am still seeing voltage on the sensor signal wires. The airbag off light was on. I clamped all four sensors with c clamps and now have the airbag on light.
I forgot to mention that the new seats are attached to the base with torx bolts from the top (the same way the base is attached to the floor of the car), while the OEM seats attach to the brackets/sensors from the sides, so I think using the OEM brackets with these seats isn't an option for me.

Do you think there's something wrong with my sensors/system since I'm not seeing voltage on the signal wires? There is, of course, the possibility that I'm doing something wrong in testing for voltage, by the way

Any chance you could post a pic of your clamp set up so I can duplicate? Also, did you have to reset the SRS codes in order for the airbag light to turn to 'on'? Or did it just change as soon as you clamped the sensors?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #234
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I am measuring between the center wire (which is the signal output) and a chassis ground. I am using a needle probe, which is a very thin, sharp probe. With the waterproof connector, I am sticking it into the rubber seal around the wire.

Clamp.jpg

Meter.jpg

Airbag Light.jpg