Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #235
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistoffate0817 View Post
Okay so it shooting from 15 mpg to 140 is normal? I duno how to change my driving style if at every second its going from 20 mpg to 40, then to 70, then to 20. Its sort of odd. Shud I leave it on average MPG?
When you are coasting down a hill or to a stop and your foot is not on the gas, it would stand to reason that your instantaneous MPG would be very high (yes 140+ MPG) as the car is in motion and it is barely using any gas.

When you are at a stop, or just beginning to accelerate, it would also stand to reason that your instantaneous MPG would be very low (yes <15 MPG) as the car is not moving very far or fast and you have your foot buried in the gas.

Switch it to average MPG, this will coincide more closely with what you envision MPG to be.

OR, again, you could read the manual. For example, I keep mine on average MPG, and have the light ring set up with a MPG goal of 40. Such that, when the light ring is not displaying green, I know I am getting <40 MPG and should back off of the throttle. But at the same time, I am not distracted by all the wide fluctuations of the instantaneous MPG readout. When the light ring is displaying red, that means I'm getting <10 MPG, and when about 1/4th of the light ring is lit up green, I'm getting >100MPG. Just before it starts lighting up orange is 40MPG.

I hope that explains some of your concerns. It's funny how people think MPG is this constant static thing that barely ever changes. There's this weird disconnect I've noticed -- people don't understand the farther you push the pedal to the floor, well, the more gas your are dumping into the engine. Yes, your MPG ranges very widely, but when you average ALL that data out, you get a nice normal number that you can relate to.

I've seen a few posts/product reviews like this online. One where the guy even returned it because he thought it was broken.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #236
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Twistoffate,

The instant mpg readings you reported are exactly what I would expect (and get on my own unit). The "instant" setting is exactly what it says-the fuel economy you are achieving that instant, updated every half second. It should read zero when stopped and the reason it can jump to 140-200+ mpg when you release the pedal is DFCO. I don't use the instant setting much as the ecograph around the perimeter of the display accomplishes the same task so I tend to stay on the avg mpg mode.

It sounds like what you want is the average mpg mode which will be more "stable" and will drop while idling at a light.

What you need to do is reset your EFF to about 95% to start. Next fill up reset your average mpg and track it from there. You can fine tune the accuracy with your EFF setting if needed. I also recommend setting the ecograph to display your target mpg which is covered in the instructions.

Review the instructions again and please ask away here if there is something we can clarify or help you out with.
Once you figure it out I think you will be happy with it-there are a bunch of us here with ecometers and they are very liked from what I've seen.

Good luck!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #237
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

SD looks like you beat me to it and had it covered!

Thanks!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Old 02-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #238
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Garm, are you still selling these? I couldn't find them on your site...

Cheers! M2
Old 02-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #239
Falconia

Drives: Yaris 1,3 -01 Linea Luna
Here in Europe Yaris have own computer which shows current xxl/100km, average consumption and average speed.

In USA versions do not have this?
Falconia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #240
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconia View Post
Here in Europe Yaris have own computer which shows current xxl/100km, average consumption and average speed.

In USA versions do not have this?
Nope; but the BMWs I had in Germany did...
Old 02-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #241
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Twistoffate,

The instant mpg readings you reported are exactly what I would expect (and get on my own unit). The "instant" setting is exactly what it says-the fuel economy you are achieving that instant, updated every half second. It should read zero when stopped and the reason it can jump to 140-200+ mpg when you release the pedal is DFCO. I don't use the instant setting much as the ecograph around the perimeter of the display accomplishes the same task so I tend to stay on the avg mpg mode.

It sounds like what you want is the average mpg mode which will be more "stable" and will drop while idling at a light.

What you need to do is reset your EFF to about 95% to start. Next fill up reset your average mpg and track it from there. You can fine tune the accuracy with your EFF setting if needed. I also recommend setting the ecograph to display your target mpg which is covered in the instructions.

Review the instructions again and please ask away here if there is something we can clarify or help you out with.
Once you figure it out I think you will be happy with it-there are a bunch of us here with ecometers and they are very liked from what I've seen.

Good luck!

R2
Thanks for explaining! :) I will have to play around with it, and today i kept it on Average MPG which I like better. I changed the EFF setting to 70 because at first it was reading too high. I guess i will change it to 95 and keep adjusting after fill ups. Is it safe to leave the ecometer plugged in and left in the car everyday? Its not going to be damaged due to the cold or heat right?
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #242
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
Hmm, interesting idea. Is the MAF sensor cleaner just compressed air to blow the crap off it, or is it something specific that you get at the auto parts store? Do we have only that one MAF sensor by the intake, or is there more than one on the car that would be worth cleaning?
i got it from auto store: Kragen, cost my 6 bucks, its sprays in as liquid but dries super fast, reminds me of rubbing alcohol. If i dont see the ecometer coinciding with actual like before i installed my AFE, ill just remove the afe and go stock to see whats up.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:35 AM   #243
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Twistoffate,

You should be fine leaving it plugged in. Mine has been plugged in every day since I got it through heat and cold with no issues.

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 02-25-2010, 04:15 AM   #244
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
but if you do unplug it, it saves the data to memory, so no worries there

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #245
pawsplus

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback
Oooh! Just read this whole thread. I'm gonna have to get me one of these babies! :)

2010 3-door 5-speed, Meteorite Metallic
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #246
pawsplus

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback
Got my Ecometer and had a great time trying it out yesterday -- was on the road most of the day so had plenty of opportunity. I really like it! I had no idea how much gas I was using doing certain things -- esp. how much difference it really DOES make to accellerate SLOOOWLY. I love seeing 200 mpg going down hills in DFCO!

2010 3-door 5-speed, Meteorite Metallic

Last edited by pawsplus; 03-15-2010 at 12:57 PM.
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #247
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
+1 .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #248
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
Okay it is official! I love this thing. I am still in my break in period (only 9,500 miles on car) and winter temperatures..and i am averaging 33-34 mpg. Pretty good considering i only do short trips everyday!
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #249
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Okay, I know nothing about this autometer...is the cable permanently affixed to the gauge or can it be disconnected/unplugged? It would need to be able to unplug because of the way I would want to mount it if I purchased this.

...and I don't know if it's been mentioned yet because I didn't follow the whole thread but I see that it's cheaper than $52.00

http://www.jcwhitney.com/ecometer/p2...vz4osjhxl4TCB0

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #250
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
yah it hooks into the OBD port.... plug and play bro. just mount it with something reusable and you should be fine.
zachryboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #251
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachryboles View Post
yah it hooks into the OBD port.... plug and play bro. just mount it with something reusable and you should be fine.
Thanks for the reply, but what I was really asking was does it actually unplug @ the gauge/unit itself, or is it wired in permanently? I know that the OBDII port powers the unit. I should have been more clear.

edit: I looked at some photos on the thread...doesn't look like it's removable.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 03-24-2010 at 10:37 AM.
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #252
MadMax

The ecometer itself is attached using velcro, so it can be used on more than one vehicle although I don't know how that works. Hopefully someone who has one has done so, and can explain.

I am contemplating one as well, but would like to use it not only in my Yaris but Jeep Wrangler too!

By the way, with shipping J.C. Whitney comes to $63.83; is there any better prices out there? Garm?

Cheers! M2