Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #289
brainless twit

Drives: 2009 base sedan
I'm pretty sure I passed Wes this afternoon on 181. We were headed to Madisonville and passed a red sedan going toward the high school. I didn't even think to wave, but then again, he probably would have been wondering who that crazy person was waving at him!
brainless twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #290
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
That was probably him. We live just off Hwy 181.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:18 PM   #291
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

It was one month ago today, April 13, 2009, that I bought my Yaris. About all I can say is that the honeymoon is still on. I love that little car, and it is all that I hoped it would be and more! It is SO fun to drive, and it is getting very near that 38 MPG that I hoped for. I know it will do at least that well on mileage after it is broken in. I got 37.4 on my last fill-up.

Tom
Old 05-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #292
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Tom,
Did you get your windows tinted yet? Just curious. Does that help much with the temperature issue inside the cabine?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #293
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Tom,
Did you get your windows tinted yet? Just curious. Does that help much with the temperature issue inside the cabine?
Not yet, Mater, but I am still thinking about it.

Tomster
Old 06-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #294
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

So, I wanted a Yaris really, really bad, and I got one. Am I happy with my decision, now that I have owned the Yaris for nearly two months? Yes!

I have an overall average MPG of 37.33 with my Yaris, and that figure would have been no more than 28.0 or 28.5 with the Cobalt. I had decided that 38 MPG would make me happy, and I don't think that is going to be a problem, once the Yaris is broken-in; I'm almost there now.

I don't miss all the power that I had with the Cobalt. The Yaris has sufficient power, as far as I am concerned. No, it does not have anywhere near the power that the Cobalt had, but it has all the power that it really needs to get me merged with traffic when I am getting on limited access highways. It has enough power to maintain highway speeds.

I am still enjoying the Yaris very much. It is a fun little car to drive.

I feel that I am set up for the long run MUCH better by having the Yaris than I would have been by keeping the Cobalt. With the economy like it is, I figured I needed to be in a car that I could drive the wheels off of, because future car trading will be delayed for a LONG time. I trust the long term reliability of the Toyota more than I would for the Chevy.

So, yes, I am very happy about my trade, and I would do it again.

Tom
Old 06-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #295
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris

Glad you are so happy , and no buyer's remorse .
now for out lowd get those windows tinted , you know you want too.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #296
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

I got one of those windshield sun block screens to use while the car is parked, and that seems to help a lot.

Tom
Old 06-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #297
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

I have another trip to IL under my belt, and I am happy to report that I got 43.55 MPG going up there and 42.22 MPG coming home. Using cruise control, I drove 67 MPH on the Interstates and Parkways and 62 MPH on the two lane roads. The A/C was on all the way up there and most of the way back.

I think that is pretty darn good MPG, considering that I wasn't using any of the hyper-mile tricks.

I am still extremely satisfied with that little Yaris. It continues to be a fun car to drive, and my overall MPG for every gallon of gas that I have put in the tank is now up to 37.94. I have kept track of gas mileage on every fill-up since the dealer filled it up for me on the day that I bought it.

I just wish we could have a few days without thunderstorms passing through, so that I could was the car. It grieves me to drive around in a dirty car, but with all the rain we have had, there would have been no sense in washing it. I might take a chance and wash it late this evening, when it cools off some. It would be nice to have it clean for the drive to church in the AM. I think we are looking at only about 20% chance of rain for the next couple days.

Tom
Old 06-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #298
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
I got one of those windshield sun block screens to use while the car is parked, and that seems to help a lot.

Tom
Well, there is an inexpensive solution!

By the way, Tom, thanks for the explanation about the air conditioner problem. I'm not sure what my AC's problem was exactly but it seems resolved (now that the temperature is back to 70's/80's, lol!). I guess it just doesn't work when the temperature reaches 90's and over. Oh well. Fortunately, it doesn't get too hot out where I live, just a bit uncomfortable at times. Anyway, thanks for the message.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #299
businezguy

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
I have another trip to IL under my belt, and I am happy to report that I got 43.55 MPG going up there and 42.22 MPG coming home. Using cruise control, I drove 67 MPH on the Interstates and Parkways and 62 MPH on the two lane roads. The A/C was on all the way up there and most of the way back.

I think that is pretty darn good MPG, considering that I wasn't using any of the hyper-mile tricks.

I am still extremely satisfied with that little Yaris. It continues to be a fun car to drive, and my overall MPG for every gallon of gas that I have put in the tank is now up to 37.94. I have kept track of gas mileage on every fill-up since the dealer filled it up for me on the day that I bought it.

I just wish we could have a few days without thunderstorms passing through, so that I could was the car. It grieves me to drive around in a dirty car, but with all the rain we have had, there would have been no sense in washing it. I might take a chance and wash it late this evening, when it cools off some. It would be nice to have it clean for the drive to church in the AM. I think we are looking at only about 20% chance of rain for the next couple days.

Tom
I had to buy my car today in the pouring rain. Since I was buying a new car nothing was going to ruin the excitement for me. With all of the mud and dirt because of the rain, my floor mats already have a bit of dirt on them. That's okay, such is life. I'll try to keep the car in the best condition possible.
businezguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #300
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Well, Biz, congrats on your purchase!

I really, really, really enjoy having a car that is clean inside and out. I can't wait until I get my Yaris cleaned up. I decided it was just way too hot to wash it this evening, but I hope to get a real early start on it Monday morning before it gets hot. (I'm on vacation.)

Tom
Old 08-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #301
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

OK, thought I would update this thread and let folks know how things are going with my Yaris and me.

I still enjoy getting in that little car and driving to and from work every weekday for my 24 mile commute. It is a fun vehicle to drive, and that's for sure.

I guess I can't be too disappointed with 38 MPG, but I was hoping for 40 MPG. I know I could slow down and do all the little tricks to boost the mileage, but I drive conservatively and try to get the best mileage I can without doing the hyper-miling stuff. I'll take my 38 MPG and be happy.

The car had 5836 miles on it Monday morning when I filled it up, so whatever that magical thing that happens for some folks at 5K miles and makes their MPG go up did not happen for me.

I bought one of those fold-out windshield sun blockers and use it while I am parked at work during the day, and that helps keep the car cooler inside. Guess I will skip the window tint.

Still a very happy camper!

Tom
Old 08-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #302
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
^ Im at 71k miles and still getting consistent 38-42 tanks.

I think you will be satisfied for a while, as I have, lol
Old 08-12-2009, 01:59 AM   #303
tomato
Super Moderator

Tom, great to hear from you and glad you aren't thinking of trading in for a Prius or something ;)

I followed your advice and got a Yaris windshield/ sun blocker, too. It works great, keeps the car a good 15-20 degrees cooler than without, so no need to tint the windows. I had to order one made for the liftback, though, the ones from Kragen just weren't working out, kept falling off. That Yaris LB sure has an odd shaped windshield.

Anyway, good to hear you're still happy with your Yaris.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #304
Yarimoto

Drives: 09' Yaris 2D LB
You guys are lucky 2 bucks a gallon? At times here its as high as 4 bucks a pop! Thank goodness its gone down lately. I also have a feeling it's going to go up again. Love my Yaris, small fun car to drive. Once I save up gonna hit up Garm's shop to get some nice add-ons.

"Your not in control, until your out of control"
Yarimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #305
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

My Yaris's odometer turned over on 7000 miles just as I turned into my driveway when I came home from church this morning.

Gas mileage has settled in at about 37.5 MPG for my normal driving, which consists mainly of my trips to work and back.

Here are the MPG results for my last ten tanks of gas.

That 35.09 was a result of driving a little more aggressively for one tank of gas "just for fun."

I don't "hyper-mile," but I do try to accelerate gradually and try to keep my speed down to about 55 MPH, which is the speed limit on the two lane roads I travel.

With a couple long trips in the mix, my overall average MPG for the entire history is 37.74. I have kept track of gas mileage for every single fill-up since taking delivery of the car on 4/13/09.

Tom
Old 09-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #306
Old Captain
I've made a post!

Drives: 08 LB
Hi Tom. You're a little off on your math.
Old Captain is offline   Reply With Quote