Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #307
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Talking

Look what I got in the mail today!!!

This will go after the head unit.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #308
derickveliz2

Smile

Ok, so this is my Audio plan for now "to start with", until I learn something else or find out I can do this or that, please I'm open to suggestions

Thanks

Old 05-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #309
fmjhp594
I've made a post!

Drives: 2010 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
OEM deadening material

So just wondering, why did you take the OEM deadener off/out? Why not just put pieces of tile over it? I thought the more material you have to stop sound the better right...?

Thanks,
Mike
fmjhp594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #310
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmjhp594 View Post
So just wondering, why did you take the OEM deadener off/out? Why not just put pieces of tile over it? I thought the more material you have to stop sound the better right...?

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,

The OEM material is very chip (bad quality), will dry very quickly and eventually "Crack"; like in a previous post (back in the trunk section) where I found OEM deadening dry and cracking, that won't be good under the area treated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmjhp594 View Post
"pieces of tile over it?"
Tile aka CLD Tiles are not designed to block or stop the noise, the purpose of the CLD Tiles is to control "Resonance" on metal panels. And they have to be applied directly to metal. MLV is the material I'm using to block/stop unwanted noise, the foam also creates a small barrier but is more an absorbing material also used to prevent rattling between panels.

If I was going to use only mat(tiles) for deadening I would have to put more than 2 or 3 layers to get the same results I'm getting with MLV. It's not bad it also would help for SPL, but will increase my work load. And like I mention at the begining of this thread, I'm only spending 2 to 4 hours a week. (well some times I'm lucky and I spend more time). But applying many layers of Mat to a car is time consuming, lots of work.

I hope It helps.

D.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #311
derickveliz2

I'm trying to pull together my HU and other parts together, here are a couple of shots with the HU, adapter and bezel.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #312
derickveliz2

Smile

Last night I took the panel that goes on top of the seatbelt (passengers side) and treated a little bit, I've been driving with out the panel and there is some annoying noise coming from the inside the structure, I describe it as a small guitar reverbering all the road noise into the cabin, I've thinking on how to approach this little piece and this is what I did:

Stuffed the inside with poly-fill and regular foam, stick some Mat and little pieces of CLD Tiles to the metal, covered with ensolite (the sticky one) then I cut to shape some MLV and started cutting with a knife to make it fit inside the panel.

This morning I was very happy with the results, now all the noise is coming from Pilots side and it's driving me crazy so I think this weekend I should take care of that area including the left side of the firewall.

Panel with some Mat + 1/8" CCF / Ensolite / MLV

This is a close up on for the treatment on this panel.

This panel was tricky because the seatbelt runs inside!
I did cut a mirror shape piece of MLV for the other side.

Thanks.

D.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #313
derickveliz2

I've been a little quiet lately, not because I wanted but... I've been working 12-16 hours a day on this project that is due next week. BUT....

for the record, I would like to note:

I'm trying to be really honest and here are my observations in the last 2 weeks.... After driving more than 1,300 miles on new wheels and tires I can tell that I lost a couple of points here )o: how is that? whell some tires make more noise than others
in this case the General Exclaim are not so bad it's not a noisy tire but... I went up from 23.1 inches in diameter to 23.7 this brings the tire closer to the wheel wells, not a big deal but it's noise I can tell it's there and it wasn't there before, and all the noise comes from the
front left of the cabin (untreated area).

New General Exclaim tire:

So if you really want the ultimate deadening Yaris, don't upgrade your tires and rims, stay stock with smaller wheels (185/60/15) and better if the Tires you get are designed for fuel economy, rated high milage and of course very quite, one example that
I can speak of are the Good Year Assurance witch I have in my Corolla and they give a confortable ride and very quiet (warranty is 80,000 miles and I can speak about that too).

Good Year Assurance Tire:

In conclusion I'm sacrifying "looks" for "little noise" we'll see how affects the overal deadening treatment.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to Boston in a brand new Mercedez Benz.

so I was so exhited to compare the noise levels. I can say that we are doing the right thing, we can't compare these two vehicles head to head but what has been done here it's working. The noise level in the MB was really nice, my Yaris is close but not the same. All the way up to 55mph every thing seems to be almost the same if I don't rev up the engine on my Yaris, after 55mph all the way up to 80mph the wind noise in the MB is freaking quiet!

I'm sure the windshield on the Yaris is not as good, also I bet MB performs rigurous test in a wind tunel, so yes at 70-80 mph the MB is much quiet than my Yaris, wind noise coming from the windshield is louder and ofcourse 3,500 rpms to keeep up at speed makes the engine louder too.

I'm very satisfied with how everything is coming together, I'm not done with the cabin, and I still have plans to work on the hood and engine compartment.

I will never make my Yaris feel like a Mercedez Benz but the ride may end up been almost as quiet. We'll see.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #314
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
that is why i chose to stay with a 15" rims the bigger the rim the higher the speed ratting on the tire to retain the like wise size of the stock tire hight you get a harder ride with more road noise . i say the michlin tires has the best ride and lowest noise but dont come cheap .
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #315
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
There you are Derick! I was hoping everything was OK. Glad to hear it was just work getting in the way. Personally, I've gone for looks/performance and sacrificed some road noise and mpg's with my tire/rim combo. I'm very happy with the noise reduction results I'm getting and I can always turn up the volume and tune out ANY road noise that way! I also came to realize that I like a "little" road/tire/engine/exhaust noise, I feel more in touch with the car and the driving experience. What I DON'T like is the little interior rattles, vibrations and stuff like that from inside the car. But those are all going away soon!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #316
derickveliz2

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
I also came to realize that I like a "little" road/tire/engine/exhaust noise, I feel more in touch with the car and the driving experience.
I miss that a lot,

and it's been hard to get used to.

But on the other hand makes my commute so comfortable, can't wait to finish this deadening treatment and start with all the audio install. I hope I can get some work done next week. :thum bup:

Old 05-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #317
derickveliz2

I think I should update my video for Yaris World...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0404002868474#

D.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #318
derickveliz2

Smile

Dash Mat!!!

Before heading home from work I cleaned the windshield inside/outside and I took out the Ugly Dash Matt and didn't put it back!

For the record: "I really like my Dash Mat now" it does makes a difference, so for people like me with a long commute on the highway, I recommend installing a Dash Mat.

I can tell the difference specially above 55mph.

my 2 cts.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #319
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
i'm confused.... So you like the function of the dash mat, but hate the looks? But chose to keep it in the car????
Old 05-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #320
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
i'm confused.... So you like the function of the dash mat, but hate the looks? But chose to keep it in the car????
Yes, I like the function of the dash mat, but it's not something I'll put in my car just to protect the dash board, yes it's ugly. Yes it's staying in the car because it's function to reduce wind noise from the windshield.

I've been thinking about the physics behind this phenomenon... and I believe it's because of the size and shape of the windshield and dashboard together and the relationship of the angels between each other promote the noise towards the cabin making it worst that what really is.

Maybe I'm fooling around too much but the Dash Mat is working very good as a noise absorbent material and in favor reducing noise levels inside the cabin.

I don't like the looks, but I like the function!

D.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #321
DailyDriver

Drives: 3dr Lftback (meteorite) Manual
What brand and material did you go with? i would like to get one also for the very same reasons. I have been thinking about maybe also placing a layer of ccf under it also, to assist with the noise. You seem to notice a difference with just the mat in though?
DailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:07 AM   #322
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDriver View Post
What brand and material did you go with? i would like to get one also for the very same reasons. I have been thinking about maybe also placing a layer of ccf under it also, to assist with the noise. You seem to notice a difference with just the mat in though?

http://www.global-accessories.com/da...tdedition.html

I also would like to add some 1/8" CCF under it, but I'm still thinking how I'm going to do it and not deform the dashmat.

D.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:18 AM   #323
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
That dash kit looks strangely familiar...
Old 05-31-2010, 04:51 PM   #324
DailyDriver

Drives: 3dr Lftback (meteorite) Manual
thank you, thank you :)
DailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote