Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #19
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I have 25 years of service in uniform and will match my military record against yours any day of the week.
No lecturing. Just an observation that I find it interesting that you apparently feel that your 25 years is possibly worth more than the as little as 2 years and however many weeks someone could have served with a minimum enlistment. I served somewhere in between, but still I know how those of us who didn't serve as long must rate.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #20
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I certainly respect that you're proud to have served your country. Nevertheless, the border agent was simply stating a fact. I don't see how that can be misconstrued as "acting like a real punk."

It is all in delivery. A State Trooper can issue you a ticket with class or perform the duty with a stink of superiority. In this case the agent acted unprofessional and a serious superiority complex. I merely pointed it out rather poignantly. Bottom line is that in his capacity no matter who crosses his path while he is at the very least in uniform they are his customer and should be treated with dignity and respect. The road goes both ways and I made it a point to assure him that he needs to learn that for the better or worse on my part. I can only hope in the future that he performs his duties professionally. In hind sight I really should have just reported him and called it a day.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #21
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I am going to remain civil in my comments, but you can rest assured I have much stronger feelings about this than what I am about to share...

First, while the Customs Officer is a Federal agent and therefore can only enforce Federal laws, if Maine requires a front license plate than he was absolutely correct in pointing it out to you.

Secondly, it doesn't matter if you're the retired CJCS, you are not above any laws because you are a vet.

Lastly, you were in no position to chastise him for doing his job.

The bottom line is that you were wrong and condescending towards a Federal officer doing his job. I hope you show him more respect next time instead of demanding it yourself.

And before you try to lecture me, I have 25 years of service in uniform and will match my military record against yours any day of the week.

And oh yes...another point of fact. It is a fact that when my ex-wife mistakenly led us across the border at Niagara Falls a couple years ago due to a crappy GPS we were treated like the scum of the earth by our Customs Agents. We explained to the booth agent on the way out of the country that she made an error. We were told , "no problem. Just let them know on the Canadian side and they will turn you around." We also explained that neither she nor my children had their birth certs nor did they own passports therefore we were concerned. Once again we were ensured all would be alright as this happens often due to the signage and engineering of the roadway. We crossed over, went through and explained to the Canadian agents what occurred. They verified in their systems that we were good to go and turned us around.

Low and behold when we attempt to come back we were removed from the vehicle in a rude and militant manner. The agents confiscated our mobile phones. We were all heavily searched to include patdowns of my children. The car was emptied of our belongings. This is even with me showing the agent leading up the team our GPS showing that it had made a mistake and our destination. One of the agents even dropped my 600 dollar mobile phone causing damage. No apologies. I was informed that I could put in a complaint if I wished. The Customs Agents on our side were able to verify the DTG stamps on the paperwork we were given showing we had made a "U-turn". The paperwork from Canada did not state that we were denied entry. Our bottles of soda and juice were taken and disposed of.

This is the type of abusive and disrespectful behavior that was quickly being shown by the gentleman last weekend. I chose what you consider the low road however I will not have my rights that I and so many others have fought to defend be trampled by a power tripping individual with a gun and a badge.

You have your right to your opinion and yes I could have handled it differently and better, but there if always a point where you have to draw a line in the sand otherwise you will end up in a situation where you are rolled over like yesterdays garbage.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #22
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
ok next time guys just show up in a Stryker and tell him plate this

lol.

but seriously the kid had nothing better to do was probably bored so he started being fussy which btw is not his job to check for the legality of the plate placement. he's not a cop he's a custom's agent

EXACTLY. He is there for a specific function, not to be a traffic cop. We have state enforcement agencies that are perfectly capable of the task. I have had this on the front of my cars since I ETS'ed several years ago and NEVER had someone give me ANY trouble for it.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #23
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Having served as well, I can understand where the agent is coming from: policy. He works for a gov't agency, which has documented policies. His job is to enforce those policies, regardless of what he thinks/feels personally. I get the feeling that you operated "outside" of policy, and/or were of sufficient rank to be immune to nonjudicial punishment. As a young MP, I was frequently pinched between the SOP manual and someone else's perceived authority, and the experience always left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I've never liked playing the "I'm a former ____" card, because it cheapens the meaning of it--for me. If I wanted special favors/exceptions for my status, I would join the Masons and learn the secret handshakes and all that jive. If I'm speeding, I don't expect to have my ticket reduced because I'm a combat vet. If the agent/officer decides to cut me some slack, that's his call, not mine. I do have a veteran plate on my egg, but I don't expect it to give me carte blanche.

All that said, I do appreciate your service, and the sacrifices you have made for our collective freedom. Welcome home.

Thank you and the same to you as well. As stated, I don't go looking for special treatment. I actually had to have my father pretty much drag me to the VA to get my disability benefits because I just feel that I made the choice to serve and defend therefore I will live with my choices. I love my country and didn't do it for the college money or for job experience. I did it to ensure that those I love can sleep safe in their beds at night. I would just hope that I would not get punk'ed by someone else serving as if I had some silly designer or airbrushed plate on the front of my car rather an understanding nod.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #24
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

In real hindsight I should not have even posted up. It opened up a serious can of worms and I apologize for any anger or irritation as a product of my rant.

Admins: Please close the thread for the better or worse.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #25
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
I'm leaning with your opinion, especially reading about how you were treated by the people, dropping your phone, and emptying out everything from your car. If its done professionally...fine. But if they think they can abuse their power, like in your example...then I will no tolerate that.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:45 AM   #26
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
In real hindsight I should not have even posted up. It opened up a serious can of worms and I apologize for any anger or irritation as a product of my rant.

Admins: Please close the thread for the better or worse.
Done.