Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #19
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
Boss is what they call out here a "flea market brand."

Fits in the same category as Pyle, Coby, Audio Planet, and others.

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #20
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by staypuft View Post
how is it wrong, if you were on a budget and can go either amp or speaker, the obvious choice would be the amp hands down, you can have crappy speakers and juice them up to sound ok rather than have good speakers and crappy amp to power it. sure it will sound awesome if he gets awesome everything but bang for the buck putting money in the amp is a way better decision than speakers. imo first upgrade would either be amp and sub or basstube. im totally happy with my setup and i spent more money on the amps than the speakers. everybody has their own brand but different budgets to play with. i do agree if he going with what he looking at that components are the way to go instead of tweeters and a set of coax.

Dude... if you have a crappy speaker, and it doesn't sound good at 1watt of power, it will not sound better with 10watts, or even with 40 or 80 watts. Speakers don't work like that. A speaker will sound its best with the least amount of power. The more power you give a speaker, the more distortion it makes. There is a magic point for every speaker in which giving more power will not make it louder, but will in fact just make it distort worse and worse, and just decrease its life span.

The main difference between running speakers off a deck, and off an amp is that the amp'd setup can be turned up louder before distortion sky-rockets (distortion produced by the deck, not the speaker).

If he's fine with not cranking that volume, then better speakers. If he MUST get loud now.. yeah, an amp would be best.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:55 AM   #21
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
i agree...cheap speakers with a good deck and or amp sound better than expensive speakers on a cheap deck or cheap amp.

the only time i have ever skimped on spending was subwoofer amps. if the amp has decent tone quality, can put out the power i am after reliably, i have gone with more in expensive amplifiers. however, i was not after perfect tone quality as much as hit.

i found that most aftermarket decks in the $200+ are quite comperable in sound and tone, as long as its just a CD deck, no bells and whistles.

I also found that its better to spend about 100 bucks on a set of quality 2 way components for the front, and buy cheaper two ways for the back and have fader mostly set to the front. this is where me and Tal differ on opinions. he belives rear fill is crap...either way, the points the same...get a set of decent components for the front, and worry about the rear later. the fronts are responsible for how it will sound, and the signal they get is from the deck...so you might as well plan on 300 for deck and fronts if you want good sound.

and yeah, on subs, if you wanna go cheap...the best way is to buy a driver with decent possibilities and build your own box around the subwoofer. if you are on a budget its the best bang for buck. if you dont care about tone or alot of "thump"...walmart ussually has cheapo sub and box kits available...and they prolly have enough bass for the average listener. just not for me.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #22
coheed

Drives: 08 BB LB
Alright, change of plans. Not sure on head unit, but I'm deffinatly going with kicker subs and speakers; home built sealed box; and a good quality amp. Now the subs I'm considering are the Comp VR 12's. The min. recommended sealed box size is 1.0 cubic feet. The max recommended is 4.6. I plan on running two in the box and was wondering if a larger or smaller box would be better for lows, highs, responce, etc.I want to hit highs and lows, not so low it'll break any glass though. Also can you guys recommended me an amp?

Last edited by coheed; 12-28-2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling
coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #23
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by coheed View Post
Alright, change of plans. Not sure on head unit, but I'm deffinatly going with kicker subs and speakers; home built sealed box; and a good quality amp. Now the subs I'm considering are the Comp VR 12's. The min. recommended sealed box size is 1.0 cubic feet. The max recommended is 4.6. I plan on running two in the box and was wondering if a larger or smaller box would be better for lows, highs, responce, etc.I want to hit highs and lows, not so low it'll break any glass though. Also can you guys recommended me an amp?
box size differences don't impact the final sound of the sub in a sealed setup as they do in ported setups... Basically anything in that 1.0-4.0 range should be fine. the smaller the box the "punchier" it will sound. 4 cubes is a BIG box for car audio... and honestly, it'll be hard to do that for 2 subs (8cubes) in our cars without doing a wall. I'd say go with 1.0 - 1.5cubes each. and then go to walmart and pick up some of the pillow stuffing the synthetic stuff. The audio world calls it Polyfil or acousti-stuff. You put a bunch of that in a box and it actually tricks the sub into playing as if it were in a bigger box.

THUS... saving cargo room and weight.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:39 PM   #24
coheed

So a 2' cube box with the "stuffing" in it, would be a good box? Cause I plan to build a box like tinygiant and can probably fit 2' cubic box in that spot.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #25
Return of the Yarii

Drives: 2007 Sedan S
If your short on space you can always build a band pass box or as one person said a ported box.....first you need to decide on speakers. Some subs are more suited for one type of enclosure over another.....
Return of the Yarii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #26
coheed

Like I said, Kicker speakers. And a bandpass is basically the same as a sealed box right? And the ported idea wouldn't work cause Kicker says a ported box has to be bigger for these particular subs than a sealed box.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #27
talnlnky
Audio Junky

HOLD ON....

Bandpass boxes are nothing like a sealed box... Nothing.

NEVER NEVER NEVER go with a bandpass box... if you have to ask "why?" then its just too advanced for you at this point in time. Basically, they suck horribly in 99% of installs, and are very dangerous to the subs unless you build it perfectly.... which almost nobody knows how to do it seems. If you don't have a very solid foundation in acoustics you should not mess with bandpass boxes. Its like giving the controls to the nuke launchers to a 12 year old.... shits gonna blow up.

Ported & bandpass boxes are big...

Out of the 3 main types of boxes, Sealed is smallest, followed by ported, and then Bandpass (bandpass is like putting 2 boxes together... so they are huge).

That tire well you want to use... 1cube is more like it.

1Cuft = 12x12x12. BUT! thats before the displacement of the subwoofer, and you don't count the space that the wood/fiberglass takes up. If you make a false floor you could get 2cuft.

I think you should heavily consider doing a single 10" if you plan to do the tirewell box, and probably consider not doing the tirewell unless you are good with fiberglass, or have about $500 to pay a shop to make a box for you.

EDIT: Yeah, 2 cubes total, after sub displacements, plus the added fill should probably work fine. If you put the correct amount of fill in, you can effectively gain up to 40% more box space. I know this sounds like snake oil, but its true. 40% is optimistic, 20-30% is more realistic... so if you do 2cuft + fill for 2 subs... it'll be more like 2.5cuf which = 1.25cuft per sub.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #28
coheed

So a sealed box with the inside measurements of 8"x20"x26", which equals 2.4' cube with fill is large enough? And I'm thinking of having part of the box recessed in the well and part on top. Like so...

Old 12-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #29
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Yeah...should be.

If you use wood, be sure to use .75" MDF
Be sure there are no air leaks, you want it to be air tight.
Make sure there is at least 1" of clearance behind the sub motors (the big magnet) so it can breathe correctly.

thats about it.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:40 AM   #30
coheed

Yeah I've thought about it and I've decided to do exactly what tinygiant did but with a Kicker insted of a JL (and no window pane). I'm probably gonna use a CVX 10, 600w RMS 1200w max. Just cause I absolutly love bass, I once knew a guy who had an 88-89 caddy, he had 4 15's; 4 12's; 2 8's and like 6 or 8 6 1/2's, OMG I loved sitting in that car with ear plugs in. It was like getting a message.