Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #19
redglare45

Drives: 07 Sedan - 5 Speed Manual
I think this is the 1st time that I hear someone on YW cut their springs
Not my cup of tea, but it's your car.
redglare45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #20
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
LOL i guess its what you do when ur broke and can't afford lowering springs ?
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #21
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
are those tires bald ? ahha

and redglare i have the same wheel set up as you rings and dust caps just sayin haha
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #22
redglare45

Drives: 07 Sedan - 5 Speed Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewai View Post
and redglare i have the same wheel set up as you rings and dust caps just sayin haha
Sweet!
redglare45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #23
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev_yaris_s View Post
I dont image any comfy, prolly bouncy or very stiff
Based on comments from a lot of the other suspension threads, that is about the same ride quality as the "store bought" lowering springs.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #24
carlitoselcool

Drives: Black Yaris 3 door Hatch
Thank you for all the opinions, they are respected, like I said I have no problems with cut springs and I will not spend $1000 in coilovers to get the same look and ride quality. One question guys why does my picture does not show up under my name here in the forum??? Im loving my yaris which is the bottom line. Take care guys, :)
carlitoselcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #25
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitoselcool View Post
One question guys why does my picture does not show up under my name here in the forum???
Maybe it's too big, or you don't have the right link.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:53 AM   #26
CAyaris

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to CAyaris
You guys must be really bad or have no idea about cut springs. I have cut the springs on my car and no not the stock springs i cut my aftermarket springs. it gets a little stiff but really for everyone on here if your plannin on dropping it low dont expect your car ride to get better. U can cut springs and be fine just be care full cut a quarted to half a coil at a time and your fine... Wow wtf. if your that worried about ridequality quit messing with your car your not gonna make it any better. And yeah if u want to tuck right and look sick run bags they are nicer than coil overs bwecaus eu can level out when needs and slam when wanted...
Old 03-17-2011, 03:24 AM   #27
bB2NER
My Box and Her Egg

Drives: 05' Scion xB / 08' Yaris 3dr
Question for the people that cut their springs????
How do you make the spring fit it's pocket after where it tapers down to a smaller winding has been cut off? I also have found that the angle the spring ends up with will not sit right in the pocket after cutting has taken place.
If the cut end of the spring doesn't touch all the way around what holds it in place or keeps it from moving around and possibly falling out at some point?
bB2NER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #28
carlitoselcool

Drives: Black Yaris 3 door Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bB2NER View Post
Question for the people that cut their springs????
How do you make the spring fit it's pocket after where it tapers down to a smaller winding has been cut off? I also have found that the angle the spring ends up with will not sit right in the pocket after cutting has taken place.
If the cut end of the spring doesn't touch all the way around what holds it in place or keeps it from moving around and possibly falling out at some point?
the side of the spring where it tapers down to a smaller winding never gets cut off, i cut the spring from the bottom where the winding is always consistent, the winding gets smaller only on the top and that stays like that ( this is only in the rear springs) the front springs do not have a narrower winding on either side so you are fine they always fit back in its place and they can not fall off because the shock absorber is inside the spring. In the back after you cut it you have to hold it in its place while somebody else lowers the car slowly so that the spring stays where it is suppose to be, after all the weight of the car is over the spring that thing will never come off, unless you fly on a big bump, and the spring does touch all way around in the pocket. Now, in regards to struts and shocks the longevity will be the same as if you put springs or coilover at the end you are doing the same lowering the center of gravity using different methods. Any other question
carlitoselcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #29
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitoselcool View Post
Now, in regards to struts and shocks the longevity will be the same as if you put springs or coilover at the end you are doing the same lowering the center of gravity using different methods. Any other question
You were making sense until here.

How does the longevity remain the same if you are 'doing the same lowering of gravity via different methods'? My car was lowered for a while on TRD springs, but I didn't waste much time in getting TRD shocks to go with it. Dropping the car to the point of having the stock shock nearly fully compressed on stock springs cut down 4" will certainly wear out shocks faster than shocks dropped down on 1.5" TRD springs or similar lowering springs. The spring rates are almost certainly not the same either, so I personally fail to see how stock shocks and 4" cut springs is the same as proper lowering springs matched to proper shocks for the job.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #30
bB2NER
My Box and Her Egg

Yep with 4 inches gone you are basically riding on the snubbers. The struts/shocks will be toast in no time.
You can pay now or later but you will pay for something. Why not just do it right and be done with it?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #31
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

or just not get greedy and only cut 2"
Old 03-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #32
bB2NER
My Box and Her Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
or just not get greedy and only cut 2"
True but then you still have the crappy ride qualities.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #33
LA Yaris
Yaris323

Drives: 09 Sedan Yaris 06 Ford Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
LOL i guess its what you do when ur broke and can't afford lowering springs ?
+ 1 People that cut there spring are to CHEAP to do it the right way.
LA Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #34
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Well, you can count the guy who built a 6 speed transmission for his car and bought and installed just about every part for my car in the,
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Yaris View Post
...to CHEAP to do it the right way.
crowd. I have a rear set of cut Ford Areostar minivan spring I use at the track and have never had a problem with them falling out or giving me a harsh ride. And they have a spring rate of about double of anything I can buy in the aftermarket, other than coilovers.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #35
2005rs

Drives: 2005 Echo Rs
I doubt anyone who spends the money on coilovers are going to say cutting your springs is ok. Who would want to admit that there's an alternative to their setup that cost a lot less?
I'm not saying that it's a good idea, just that it might be ok if you understand what you're doing.
I'm curious if the op used different shocks with a shorter travel, since I've never heard of anyone lowering this much
2005rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #36
bB2NER
My Box and Her Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Yaris View Post
+ 1 People that cut there spring are to CHEAP to do it the right way.
Exactly right! If you can't afford to do it right, leave it stock till you can. Otherwise don't cry when something goes wrong and the vehicle rides like crap.