Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
In my experience the engines Ive owned that Ive taken apart to rebuild (VW Beetle and Bus) were just tanned a little inside the crankcase. No buildup, sludge etc at all. I changed the 2.5 quarts of oil every 2000 miles and commuted to work 30 miles away.

I dont know what to make of sludge buildup in the engine. They claim to have changed the oil.

Now that I drive my Yaris 3-4k miles a year with mostly 6 mile trips the oil comes out clean every six months...
I agree. Sludge build up?????

I am old enough to remember the days before non-detergent oils. Those old paraffin based oils would build up sludge under the valve covers and in the oil pan. I was like a thick, black grease and would eventually impede the oil circulation in the engine. That is one reason why those old engines rarely went 100k with our a re-build.

I have pulled many a head on more modern engines with a lot of miles and have never seen sludge. I have seen black/brown residue on engine internals, but never what I think of as "sludge."
Old 12-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #20
bairjo

[

Last edited by bairjo; 01-20-2013 at 04:31 AM.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
Once again, Toyota has had an issues with sludge in the last 10-15 years. It's not something I made up.

But going back to my original question..Has anyone used ATF in there oil and what was the result? Many of the responses to the question are from people who never used it and are reporting happened when they that didn't use it.

I have already decided against the ATF in the oil, but still thinking about the seafoam treatment...probably as a gas additive once a year.
I prefer to Seafoam, and have used it with very good results:
http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/
but either this or Seafoam are probably better than adding ATF.

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote