Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #19
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
^why not buy one that hides the hitch? yesterday i received a draw-tite invisi-hitch model #28502

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower...ar=1&carId=001

once installed it COMPLETELY hides all parts of the hitch(including receiver)! you do have to purchase a special receiver mount for accessories that goes under and around the rear bumper and - of course - it's more expensive. i just like the fact that nobody will confront me in parking lots and say 'where does it say in the owners manual you can tow? is your car the canadian version?' :lol:

i will post up pics this weekend after i do the install. if you decide to get the one i linked above you should know it's for the SEDAN ONLY! in fact, i got mine used for super-cheap($34) because somebody purchased it thinking it would fit the 3-door and returned it(not really their fault because the site still doesn't specify). i contacted the manufacturer with the model# to confirm it would work. AND the manual in the box does say it's designed for the sedan!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #20
Brianr4

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Hitch w/Yakima

Name:  New Image1.JPG
Views: 522
Size:  103.3 KB

Name:  New Image2.JPG
Views: 517
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  New Image3.JPG
Views: 519
Size:  52.0 KB

My friend has a roof rack on his car, but the only problem is to put the bike on the roof, you have to have the door open and stand on the door sill.
Twice when we were loading up to head home, it was raining very hard and we couldn't put the bikes up becasue the inside his car would have been soaked from the rain.
So when it came time for me to get a rack, I went with the hitch style.
I also don't like that if you are loading up on a roof rack and you drop something, it will fall on the roof of the car.
Brianr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #21
Kaykogi

Drives: 2009 Barcelona Red Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
^why not buy one that hides the hitch? yesterday i received a draw-tite invisi-hitch model #28502

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower...ar=1&carId=001

once installed it COMPLETELY hides all parts of the hitch(including receiver)! you do have to purchase a special receiver mount for accessories that goes under and around the rear bumper and - of course - it's more expensive. i just like the fact that nobody will confront me in parking lots and say 'where does it say in the owners manual you can tow? is your car the canadian version?' :lol:

i will post up pics this weekend after i do the install. if you decide to get the one i linked above you should know it's for the SEDAN ONLY! in fact, i got mine used for super-cheap($34) because somebody purchased it thinking it would fit the 3-door and returned it(not really their fault because the site still doesn't specify). i contacted the manufacturer with the model# to confirm it would work. AND the manual in the box does say it's designed for the sedan!
I didn't know such a thing existed. If I were to get a hitch, this is the one I would buy.
Kaykogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #22
Kaykogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianr4 View Post
My friend has a roof rack on his car, but the only problem is to put the bike on the roof, you have to have the door open and stand on the door sill.
Twice when we were loading up to head home, it was raining very hard and we couldn't put the bikes up becasue the inside his car would have been soaked from the rain.
So when it came time for me to get a rack, I went with the hitch style.
I also don't like that if you are loading up on a roof rack and you drop something, it will fall on the roof of the car.
It's easier on a sedan. I can load anything from the ground. I've never had to stand on the door sill.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #23
Brianr4

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Actually my friend's car is not a yaris, Subaru.
Not easy to reach up there.

Also when my rack is not on, the only part of my hitch you see is the receiver tube, and I usually have one of those foam antenna things stuffed in there, doesnt look like a hitch at all.
Brianr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #24
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Anpther option you might want to look into is buying a folding bike, such as the ones from Dahon. I'm looking into buying one, so that I don't have to worry about messing up my Yaris.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #25
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
I saw a three wheel recumbent at a garage sale...though out of my price range,
I wondered how I could fit that on a bike rack, let alone a Yaris bike rack.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #26
Yaribusa

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 Door Manual BSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connoisseur_of_fine_cars View Post
I wouldn't trust the Thule rack. My buddy has one. His bike tire started losing air after it was placed on the rack. The hook on the Thule is set based on the tire. So my buddy's bike slipped out of the rack and was half dangling on the highway. Luckily we pulled over in time.

What is the difference between the Draw-Tite hitch and the Curt 11060? Which is better?
Which Thule rack are you talking about? The 990XT Doubletrack is extremely secure and the hook goes over the top tube of the frame. I've done many miles at 75-80 MPH and never had a single issue with this setup.

Here's a few pretty terrible pics of a filthy Yaris, but you can get the idea...
Attached Images

Yaribusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #27
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
as promised - here's a couple pics of my new hitch installed!

looking up from garage floor with bumper off(more on that in a second):

view from behind at ground level:

install was VERY easy! there were four bolts that needed to be removed and replaced with four longer, heavy-duty bolts and washers supplied in the kit. i removed the rear bumper as it looked like it would take forever with only the socket set i have(a set of racheting wrenches would be ideal). this gave me a better angle from above to tighten everything down. piece of cake - maybe 20 minutes from start to finish!

the bar itself is very solid and the welds are nice. being a class I it's rated for up to 2000 lbs, but i don't plan on using it for anything except a hitch-mounted bike rack and maybe a small utility trailer(400 lbs). again, although i realize the AMERICAN version of the yaris is not rated to tow at all(guess i should have bought it in CANADA) i'm just planning on using it for very light usage. now i just gotta save-up for the ball mount and accessory attachment.

and yes, my garage floor is very colorful - the kid likes to use it as her canvas!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #28
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
I just unloaded my Montague full sized folding mountain bike from my HB. I've had two different Montagues for years now, and use them a lot. Unlike most other folding bikes, you can't tell these fold when riding, they are "real" bike.

This won't help you who already have regular bikes, but for those looking check out the Montague. Though my plane use strictly dictated a folder, I am always pleased when some other use comes up, and throwing it inside the Yaris with room to spare including Ted the dog is pretty cool. Less then a minute, a lot less to unfold.http://www.montaguebikes.com/
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #29
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars
Oh what a feeling

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaribusa View Post
Which Thule rack are you talking about? The 990XT Doubletrack is extremely secure and the hook goes over the top tube of the frame. I've done many miles at 75-80 MPH and never had a single issue with this setup.
Yep, that's the same one he is using. He used it for 2 years without any problem. Then one day, we on driving on the interstate, and his bike slipped out of the hook thingy. His bike lost tire pressure; so it sank lower, allowing itself to slip off the hook thingy. Just becareful. You're OK as long as you don't lose air. Or tie and hook to your bike, just in case.
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #30
Yaribusa

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 Door Manual BSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connoisseur_of_fine_cars View Post
Yep, that's the same one he is using. He used it for 2 years without any problem. Then one day, we on driving on the interstate, and his bike slipped out of the hook thingy. His bike lost tire pressure; so it sank lower, allowing itself to slip off the hook thingy. Just becareful. You're OK as long as you don't lose air. Or tie and hook to your bike, just in case.
Ohhhhh... I thought you meant the rack cause a flat tire. I had not considered this situation. Thanks for the heads up.
Yaribusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #31
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
Hitch + Rack gets my vote:

Drawtite hitch, Swagman XC2 rack carrying two 39 lbs Giant Reign bikes.
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #32
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I run a Thule roof rack with the short roof adapter, and the "big hook" bicycle rack. It holds it perfectly steady, and it's about 10-20 seconds to put it up there and take it off - so much, I use it as my outside storage/bike lock place.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #33
wispaintstyle

Drives: Black 08 Yaris Liftback
I take the wheels off and throw it inside.
wispaintstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #34
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Would the trailer hitch act as a subframe brace? :D
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #35
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars
Oh what a feeling

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by wispaintstyle View Post
And get grease, mud, dirt, and crap all over the interior. No thanks, bro.
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #36
Kaykogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wispaintstyle View Post
And then you have to reassemble everything at the trailhead. No thanks, bro.