Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #19
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
I'm actually looking pretty hard into the Prius C. Why buy a new Yaris for 16k or more, if you can spend 19k and get a Prius with much better mileage? That's nowhere near a $10,000 premium..
Old 04-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Remember you will only save $2000 in fuel over 100,000 miles with the Prius C, compared with the Yaris.

Plus the car is more complicated and possibly trouble even if its under warranty. Can anyone but Toyota fix it? Can THEY fix it? Its more complicated and mechanics can have trouble enough with a regular car.

Still the Prius has been largely trouble free...

IF you could not buy a Yaris for less than $16,000 AND you could get a Prius for $19,000 (we're talking bottom line not advertised prices here which mean nothing)
then youve got something realistic.

Not saving any money and its going to costs you $$$$ more all the same...

Last edited by bronsin; 04-10-2012 at 10:19 AM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #21
bronsin

Hmm Motortrend says MSRP of the Prius C is $24,000-$29400.

Looks like the parties over....
Old 04-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #22
goliath1812

I see your point. And the fuel savings increase as the prices at the pumps increase also...but even with $5 gas, it's still only a $2500 savings over that same 100,000 miles...

I'm also looking long term here, my Yaris is 5 years old and has 100,000 miles, I'm expecting to get no less than 150,000 - 200,000 out of it.... I would be expecting to do the same with a Prius... and the Prius will come with additional features the Yaris does not have (little things like keyless entry, telescoping steering wheel, etc.)

heck maybe i'll just look for another low mileage used yaris...although it seems its hard to find 5 door Yariis around here....
Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
goliath1812

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Hmm Motortrend says MSRP of the Prius C is $24,000-$29400.

Looks like the parties over....
I test drove a Prius C last night at my dealership. They quoted me a little over $19k ($19,400 ish)... MSRP being in the $18,000 area..

Toyota site has it starting at 18,950
Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #24
bronsin

Yaris L $14,115 on their website.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
goliath1812

Trying to keep to a 5 door (apples to apples as the Prius doesn't come in 2 door)...5 door L $15140.

So a $3-4k difference doesn't seem like a lot....over time.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #26
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath1812 View Post
heck maybe i'll just look for another low mileage used yaris...although it seems its hard to find 5 door Yariis around here....

There you go...the cheapest, most reliable, cost effective transportation there is.

I bought a 2000 ECHO for my son five years ago for $3000 with 117k on it.

Its nearly 190,000k now with two trips across the country and back from NJ on it.

Just tires, oil changes, brake pads, sparkplugs and a MAF sensor.

My son and his GF are in awe of the car. Its been confortable, cheap to run, they can count on it, and theyve had two awesome experiences cross country with it.

HE EVEN CHANGED THE OIL ALL BY HIMSELF LAST WEEK!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #27
curtmaxwall
Banned

Drives: Toyota Yaris Spirit
I am going for Toyota Prius mainly due to its design, features, safety and above all its marketing strategies, "having 1 tone of CO2 less than an equivalent family vehicle with a diesel engine".
curtmaxwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #28
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtmaxwall View Post
I am going for Toyota Prius mainly due to its design, features, safety and above all its marketing strategies, "having 1 tone of CO2 less than an equivalent family vehicle with a diesel engine".
Got news for you one volcano eruption puts out more CO2 than all the cars that ever existed in the history of the world ever put out...

Plus more than that weight of other even more nasty stuff.

When the Prius came out (in 2000?) the Germans didnt build one because they couldnt believe anyone would be dumb enough to buy one when they could buy a diesel engine car and use cheaper fuel in it.

That has changed...
Old 04-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #29
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
I got my prius because my old yaris is a 2 door and since I just had a baby, there was no way I was moving the seat back every time I had to get to the car seat. Plus, my husband needed a new car since his was so old and it has more room for him so he can also use it for his jobs.

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #30
bronsin

I wish you luck with the Prius. Did you give the Yaris to your husband?

What kind of mileage does the Prius get?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #31
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
No. My husband has the Prius because he is going to be taking care of our daughter. We're only getting 42 mpg right now with the Prius. Toyota says they tested it at 50 mpg. I think it's my husband's crazy driving :) Either way, it's better than our yaris. I get about 34 mpg when it's cold outside

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:50 AM   #32
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
I agree with why? in that the Yaris is a minimalist car, but that's one of the things I like about it. I'm not interested in navigation systems, leather, sunroof, or any other goodies. Reliability and fuel economy is all I care about, but then again I'm single without any kids. I can definitely understand why someone would be interested in comfort and aesthetics....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #33
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryberry View Post
No. My husband has the Prius because he is going to be taking care of our daughter. We're only getting 42 mpg right now with the Prius. Toyota says they tested it at 50 mpg. I think it's my husband's crazy driving :) Either way, it's better than our yaris. I get about 34 mpg when it's cold outside
The Prius gets its best mpg in city driving when the battery can kick in for short periods. On the highway where the engine would run all the time it the mileage is lower.

To get the most out of it you have to work at driving it. I have a feeling a Prius site would be able to explain how.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #34
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
I agree with why? in that the Yaris is a minimalist car, but that's one of the things I like about it. I'm not interested in navigation systems, leather, sunroof, or any other goodies. Reliability and fuel economy is all I care about, but then again I'm single without any kids. I can definitely understand why someone would be interested in comfort and aesthetics....
Huh. That "comfort" part I dont get. I was supremely comfortable in my Yaris driving to Alaska. Couldnt have been better! And every day I went 700 miles. Except for the last one when I did 1400.

All those amenities are what make the big boys money. They know there is demand and they price those things accordingly.

One thing for sure its not me paying for their caviar!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #35
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
the yaris is simply not refined, it is spartan. The average person wouldn't consider it because it is too small, too boring, no leather, no nav, etc...

The Prius cars are actually nice inside. it is obvious they are not bottom of the line cars. Hell, the thing that annoys me the most about the Yaris is the seating position is too close and the steering wheel doesn't telescope. Not to mention no cruise control.

The main point of someone buying a Prius is they want more luxury than a car like the Yaris will ever have. and you can't blame them.
My wife had to rent a car this week and she was given the choice of a Dodge Avenger or Yaris. She thought the Avenger, being physically larger, would have been a better car to drive over a couple of days.

By the end of her rental, she related to me that the Yaris had better pick up, was more roomy inside, and looked to be of better quality. This is based on her observations of a 2012 Avenger vs a 2009 Yaris.

Anyone who thinks the Yaris is cramped inside has never ridden in one. They are comfortable and have more than enough space for up to 4 adults. True they don't come with all the bells and whistles, but you can buy aftermarket to spruce it up and have an outstanding looking car.

I rent cars all the time in my job traveling and when I travel, I ask for a Yaris. With the exception of once in Phoenix, they never have any in to rent. They are always out. Their fuel efficiency and Toyota nameplate make them a hot item.

Just a word to anyone who is thinking about selling your Yaris.....don't trade it in. You will get almost retail value from anyone who is looking to buy one. These are not junk cars. They hold their value and especially now during high gas prices, they are in high demand as used cars.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #36
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The Prius gets its best mpg in city driving when the battery can kick in for short periods. On the highway where the engine would run all the time it the mileage is lower.

To get the most out of it you have to work at driving it. I have a feeling a Prius site would be able to explain how.
better to go to a hyper miler site. Eco modder or fuelly or one of those. The Prius requires a totally different way of thinking to get the crazy gas mileage it advertises. But once you can do that you can get much better than advertised. People were claiming 70mpg and more for the old Prius, once the hypermilers get their hands on the C, that is just the beginning.