Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #19
1nz

Drives: Vios
what oil cooler, atf cooler and intercooler are you using? Still using the emanage blue?

greddyvios.blogspot.com
1nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #20
changchewsoon

Drives: Vios Turbo
Send a message via MSN to changchewsoon Send a message via Yahoo to changchewsoon
I sourced the intercooler from an Evo 3, the oil cooler is from ASR Performance and the ATF cooler from a Mitsubishi Pajero.

Yah I'm still using E-Manage blue for now, it is able to handle 2 extra injectors which is just nice for the turbo.
changchewsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #21
1nz

Drives: Vios
strange, i was told that the ecu will relearn over the emanage blue, custom wiring of plug and play?

greddyvios.blogspot.com
1nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #22
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I think we only know that for sure with USDM cars.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #23
changchewsoon

Send a message via MSN to changchewsoon Send a message via Yahoo to changchewsoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nz View Post
strange, i was told that the ecu will relearn over the emanage blue, custom wiring of plug and play?
i'm not using any plug and play harness, splicing wirings directly.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #24
changchewsoon

just want to share the dyno chart with everyone here.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RQcAxTVtNR...Dyno-Chart.JPG

Last edited by changchewsoon; 05-04-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #25
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Nice torque
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:47 AM   #26
changchewsoon

thanks, its great to be part of the forum and getting know and see so many of us doing great things with the car!
Old 03-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #27
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I'd love those numbers. Enough torque to get going with a full load in the car, and enough power to not bog down when the A/C with that full load in car is in use.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #28
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
143 whp @ 8.5 psi
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #29
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
143 whp @ 8.5 psi
Wasn't it 8.8 psi? I'm still a total noob in FI, but isn't that pushing too much for the stock internals?
Old 03-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #30
changchewsoon

Well I personally feel that this is very subjective as other various factors come in to play such as tuning, fuel used etc. Some would feel that 5 psi is as far as they would push, some 7 psi, some 10.

In our country, we have an option of either using RON 97 or RON 99 unleaded fuel which helps a lot to reduce detonation and ping.

My pistons are ceramic coated and the engine compression has been lowered to a 9.5:1 compression ratio. I do agree if budget permits, forged rods and pistons definitely is the way to go.

Just to share, we have a few Turbo Vios here whose running 14 psi all year long on stock engine and stock automatic transmission for the past 3 years, and the only issue they've encountered so far was fried piston rings. The rest of the engine and transmission is holding strong.

I think they're really insane, but in reality there are people out there who does it.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #31
Kaotic Lazagna

hahahaaha. If I were to ever have your set up, I wouldn't even get to 8psi. It only gets there at WOT, right? I drive very conservatively, so I'm not even sure if I'll even be making boost. hahaha.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:34 AM   #32
changchewsoon

careful driver huh? yah thats good man, I'm also learning not to go WOT every single time. gotta take care of the fuel efficiency at the same time as well.

my current setup allows me to reach 8 psi in less than 3,000 RPM on WOT, on highway cruising the turbo will be reaching maximum boost even with partial throttle so yah i gotta learn to drive conservatively.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 AM   #33
changchewsoon

Update

Car awaiting coilovers to be serviced, and the following mods will go in.

1. Okada coils
2. AEM water/methanol injection kit

Hopefully the coilovers can come back soon so the car can be tuned on the dyno. Charts will be up soon.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #34
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Nice update! the meth injection will help tons, hopefully you have the ignition harness to increase spark so the meth injection will be more worth while... Maybe you can prove the Okada coils are good for higher spark... one user here had a similar product and one blew out on him on a stock car.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #35
changchewsoon

The FIC injectors cleared customs yesterday and arrived this afternoon while I was away in the office.

Together with the forged internals when they arrive, we should able to make some serious power when we crank up the boost.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:55 AM   #36
changchewsoon

Dyno Results for Okada Projects Coils

The dyno results for the Okada Projects Plasma Direct coils is finally out, the results are more than what we expected as the dyno machine was able to pick up the gains both in horsepower and torque.

It took us less than 10 minutes to swap the coils and we took this opportunity to throw in a new set of plugs.

Autolite Iridium plugs

We did a base run and the car pulled 143.34 PS and 18.53 kg-m of torque at the wheels. With the Okada Projects coils fitted in, it gave us 153.01 PS and 19.45 kg-m of torque.

Blue: Without Okada coils
Red: With Okada coils

A first glance at the dyno chart it seems like the overall gains is not so impressive as we only gained around 9.67 PS and 0.92 kg-m of torque.

However we noticed that the gains are available throughout the entire powerband starting from 3,000 RPM all the way to the redline.

What caught us by surprise was not only the torque curve has been flatten, there is a peak gain of 14.22 PS and 2.02 kg-m of torque nearing the 5,000 RPM range.

In the past, the original coils simply just couldn't maintain sparks that were strong enough at the high RPM range to achieve a flatter torque curve. Seems like the Okada coils were able to get the job done.

Peak gain of 2.02 kg-m torque

Peak gain of 14.22 PS

Overall I'm quite impressed with the Okada coils, and would certainly recommend it to anyone whose interested in it. However, you would still need to find a good tuner who knows how to tune your car properly in order to enjoy the gains.

Besides the gain in power, the coils could also serve as a nice dressing item in your engine bay as well.

Last edited by changchewsoon; 06-29-2009 at 12:20 AM. Reason: picture link broken