Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2007, 02:13 AM   #19
xxcanuckxx

Drives: 2015 SE HB
is he still under his car? this sounds like a good idea...
xxcanuckxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:24 PM   #20
mandriu
11b1p

Drives: yaris s
Ok I put the pump in today. As I suspected I had a couple of minor issues. First the belt was too short. So I will try a 425k4 tomorrow. I cut the original radiator hose and inserted the pump pulling water away from the engine. I piggypacked a relay switch to a green wire in the under hood fuse block. It is only on when the key is in the run position.

Problem number one. The thermostat works too well. Water will not go past it. This causes the radiator hose to collapse while engine is cold. I will cut 1/4" weep hole in the thermostat to allow some constant flow.(I am thinking about getting an electric thermostat that will control the pump.)

For now the belt is back on and the pump is not impeding flow so the obd2 reads around 180

I wish I had better news. Thank you for your attention.
mandriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:59 PM   #21
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Why would you install a pump to pull water away from the engine??? Is it in the top hose? You could have avoided the collapsed hose if you installed it in the lower hose pushing water INTO the engine.

Your electric thermostat sound like a good idea if you want this set-up to work properly. Good luck.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:34 AM   #22
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Why would you install a pump to pull water away from the engine??? Is it in the top hose? You could have avoided the collapsed hose if you installed it in the lower hose pushing water INTO the engine.

Your electric thermostat sound like a good idea if you want this set-up to work properly. Good luck.
Unless the pump puts out more pressure than the radiator cap is rated at you had air in the system (downstream of the pump)....liquid doesn't compress. Once the thermostat opens it 'may' purge itself naturally, and you'd be okay. But I agree that the lower hose may be better.

Did you remove the water pump so it doesn't restrict the flow?

Edit: Sorry, see you will be removing it later. Hope it doesn't restrict too much, or you have another vehicle until you're done!
Old 07-22-2007, 12:52 AM   #23
mandriu
11b1p

It's like with a straw. If you suck too hard the straw collapses. The thermostat is literally water tight. I initially removed the upper radiator hose at the filler tube and started the engine there was no flow. Since the cooling system was not pressurized I did not get any flow. I was amazed. I have it set pulling away because the thermostat is down there. Every diagram i have seen has the water leaving the engine at the thermostat

I am still not sure if the water leaves the engine at the thermostat. Anybody Know for sure?
Old 07-22-2007, 02:03 AM   #24
churp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandriu View Post
It's like with a straw. If you suck too hard the straw collapses. The thermostat is literally water tight. I initially removed the upper radiator hose at the filler tube and started the engine there was no flow. Since the cooling system was not pressurized I did not get any flow. I was amazed. I have it set pulling away because the thermostat is down there. Every diagram i have seen has the water leaving the engine at the thermostat

I am still not sure if the water leaves the engine at the thermostat. Anybody Know for sure?
You get flow when the themostat is open, whether it's pressurized or not! To check the flow open the radiator cap, start the engine, and when it warms up you will see which direction it is going...you don't want to remove the radiator hose to see the direction. Believe me water flows into the top of the radiator. I will go out to the garage and verify at 1:30 in the morning for you....be right back.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:24 AM   #25
churp

After many minutes the top hose get very hot to the touch at the radiator(thermostat opening allowing flow), then after a couple minutes the warm coolant warms the lower hose (finally arrives there). The coolant flows into the top of the radiator....absolutely. Every radiator has the heated coolant flowing into the top...no matter where the thermostat is.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #26
mandriu
11b1p

churp, I am glad that I checked here this morning, before I warm up that engine I will flip the pump the other way. I will go get the new belt, and maybe i will have new news, or similar problems giong the other way. And I will try to take a pic. Maybe this afternoon.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #27
mandriu
11b1p

Just a head's up. I have the pump hooked up. I had to take the thermostat out. The OEM pump circulates water through the block while the thermostat is closed. So I would not recommend the current set up to daily drivers.

The coolant temp runs between 150 and 170 degrees. so it is no constant with this set up.

My next plan is to get an oem wp gasket and try to make a plate that I can mount a wp118 from an LT1 engine to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small.JPG (42.6 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg yaris 003.jpg (40.4 KB, 155 views)
Old 07-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #28
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
cool, any power gains? thats what its for in the long run, right?
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #29
mandriu
11b1p

It definately feels better on acceleration. I wish I knew where a dyno was here. Closest one I can find is Bowling Green It is so easy to throw the stock belt back on that I could do before and after runs.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:53 AM   #30
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
Id love to see the #'s, Glad it has more powa!
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #31
curik

Drives: 06 yaris AT
mandriu, what sort of belt did you use? Are you running stock crank pulley?
curik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #32
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Just remember that the thermostat housing is also called the water outlet. This immediately tells you which way the coolant flows.

Electric water pump? That's about the silliest waste of money I've encountered on this site, and there are plenty! No offense.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #33
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
every thermostat produced after about 1970 has a weep hole in it. it prevents thermal shock. idk where you got your tstat from, but i'd put an aftermarket in it. one with a hole.

i'd love to see this lt1 adapter...i have 2 laying around, and an extra CSR ewp....so........if it's not too much to modify i'll have a cheap waterpump...yay. the ltx is a direct swap, easy to fix, cheap ewp mod. you take out the 8 bolts holding the pulley to the pump housing, replace it with the ewp and new gaskets (provided with csr, dunno bout mezerie), put on some teflon/loc-tite and top off with coolant... easy. about 2 hours worth.

either way, i havent looked at the yaris wp, and if it's one solid unit, or it has a separate bearing/pulley/impeller. this could be really easy if it's separate.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #34
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Electric water pump? That's about the silliest waste of money I've encountered on this site, and there are plenty! No offense.
Offense taken. Works great for me.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #35
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
speaking of.....how'd you do your pump cali? did you do something similar as here or what? if you can talk CSR or mezerie into a yaris/corolla/camry/tacoma pump i'd be interested.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:26 AM   #36
curik

Drives: 06 yaris AT
mandriu, i have bought the EWP kit and just wondering if the 425k4 belt fits (with WP pulley removed). The kit basically contains the EWP and electronic controller with other bits and pieces. I'm hoping to have a similar setup like yours..

curik is offline   Reply With Quote