Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #19
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:53 AM   #20
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
For two reasons (off the top of my head):

2. I think manual transmission drivers are more aware of their own cars and what is going on, in general, around them. I want as many drivers like this as possible on the road and as a percentage of total drivers on the roadway.
Nailed it.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
For two reasons (off the top of my head):

1. Fewer people knowing how to drive them = more likely that fewer will be made = greater chance of extinction = fewer, if any, for me to choose from when I want to buy a new car.

2. I think manual transmission drivers are more aware of their own cars and what is going on, in general, around them. I want as many drivers like this as possible on the road and as a percentage of total drivers on the roadway.
Good points, especially #2. Thanks for sharing.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #22
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Nailed it.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #23
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
Good points, especially #2. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #24
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
Frs and brz are a dime a dozen, I see at least 10 of these a day, played out. I don't like cars everyone has....viva vitz

Proverbs 16:9
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #25
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBeard View Post
Frs and brz are a dime a dozen, I see at least 10 of these a day, played out. I don't like cars everyone has....viva vitz
yea, but you live in image conscious LA. odds are most of the ones you see have drivers who have no idea how to drive them.

the more that are sold, the bigger the aftermarket will be. I love my Yaris, and I love MI, but I would have loved the type of aftermarket attention the BRZ and the FR-S is getting for the Yaris in 2007.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #26
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
Yes this is also true

Proverbs 16:9
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #27
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
I have been waiting for the latest revision of the 86 for years, I don't give a damn about how many other people are driving them.. I've had 2 echo/yaris's and there are a ton o those on the road as well. Of maybe a small note for every 9 FRS sold only 1 BRZ is sold (subie only allowed to sell 1 for every 9 toyotas.. rules.. in some countries.. looks like NA mebbe 1 in 3) so you may have seen lots of FRS +)

Either way I am keeping the yaris anyways

Last edited by SKurj; 02-18-2013 at 09:50 AM.
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #28
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Drives: 2012 Silver Yaris LE
Every one of my friends laugh about how having a manual will save their car from theft and guess what? People who jack cars know how to drive standard at least here in the inner city they do. In fact, those cars are often sportier models leading them to be taken more often. Maybe people just do not steal Yari?
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #29
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
Every one of my friends laugh about how having a manual will save their car from theft and guess what? People who jack cars know how to drive standard at least here in the inner city they do. In fact, those cars are often sportier models leading them to be taken more often. Maybe people just do not steal Yari?
if a professional thief wants your car you are screwed. But as for joyriders? Wouldn't be surprised is most had no idea how to drive a manual.

At the rate technology is going in a decade the only reason to buy a manual will be because you want it. Computers and newer computer controlled transmissions will be able to do everything , including gas mileage better.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #30
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKurj View Post
Well the 86 landed sooner than I thought it would, so I went down to the dealership to buy one...

I made 2 deals, first was for a scion FRS (not the Toyota that I really would have preferred) and as soon as I said my 2009 Yaris was an MT they said they didn't want it...
I eventually cancelled that deal as I decided I preferred the upgraded trim of the BRZ Sport Tech.. again the dealer didn't want the Yaris..

I don't get it in these days of $1.25+/L for gas... but in the end I am keeping the yaris for winter duty and perhaps my nephew when he finally hits 16 in in another 3-4 years.

Had an echo 3dr before the current Yaris 3dr and they have been great for me. They are my first recomendation to anyone looking for decent, reliable cheap transportation and with a few upgrades a great fun car.
What country are you in? I've never heard of a situation (in the US) where a dealer refuses a trade in. A dealer will take anything, even complete trash. They may not give you much, but they'll take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBeard View Post
I have yet to see a single FRS or BRZ in the heavily populated northeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
not being able to drive a manual is like buying a computer and refusing to learn how to use photoshop.
An odd analogy since most people don't know how to use Photoshop and computers don't come with Photoshop preloaded. It costs $700 (legitimately).
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #31
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
The OP is from the Toronto area ... aka GTA.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #32
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post

At the rate technology is going in a decade the only reason to buy a manual will be because you want it. Computers and newer computer controlled transmissions will be able to do everything , including gas mileage better.
It's already the case. Most of today's automatics are more efficient and faster than manual counterparts. With 6 speed autos commonplace, it's no surprise.

An exception is the Yaris because Toyota carried over the archaic 4 speed auto.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #33
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
Even if there are a few automatics which are technically getting better mileage than 5spd manuals....compare that to a 6 or 7 speed manual and you will see once again that the manual is more efficient. There is more drivetrain power loss through a slushbox and it also weighs considerably more than a manual box.

Not to mention that manual gearboxes are cheap and easy to fix should anything go wrong. Couple that with the better control it provides for performance or economy driving and it's a no-brainer. Manual transmissions will always be the choice for gearheads and for good reason.

I remember in the 90s folks saying that the automatic-equipped Supra turbo was actually slightly faster in a drag race than the manual counterpart....yet everyone I knew lusted after the manual because it was more fun :)
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #34
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
as to the OP, it is hard to believe they didn't want it, most dealers here will take anything to get you to buy a new one.

I know dealerships always hate trying to sell manuals because there are so many people who are too lazy to learn but still.

I promise you one thing, if manual gearboxes are still around when my daughter gets her license (she's 3 right now) her first car will absolutely be a manual. If she doesn't like it then she's free to not have a car. It makes you pay more attention to what you are doing and that is a good thing.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #35
Fenanorn

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 5-speed
I've never experienced a dealer not wanting a car at all. That's pathetic.

Last edited by Fenanorn; 02-20-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Fenanorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #36
devananne

Drives: 2013 Yaris SE
I've never driven a manual before and purposefully sought out one because I wanted to learn how. Dealers were amazed that I specifically requested a manual, and often didn't have one in stock (one dealer I went to had 9 automatic Honda Fits, but no manuals). They were probably hyped to get the one they had off their lot!

#1 reason to learn: I had to get in a car with a drunk driver one time because I needed a ride and had absolutely no idea how to drive his car. After that was when I asked the family for a tutorial.
devananne is offline   Reply With Quote