Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #19
koala

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Wash a car? Why? That is what rain is for.

Seriously though, went years without washing any of my cars. Nothing bad ever happened to the paint or finish. And yes, just in case you were wondering, I didn't wax them either, lol.

I think I've washed my Yaris once since I bought it. So for those keeping count, that is 2 years and 7 months, with 1 car wash.

The quality of the stuff used in the factories nowadays makes that type of thing only necessary for show cars.
I think its more about pride of ownership, wanting to have a clean car. The Mazda CX-7 I just turned back in after the lease was done... I washed it only a handful of times in the 2 years I had it. I just didn't have any pride of ownership in that vehicle.

Washing a car can be therapeutic. My girlfriend washes her Yaris more than I wash my BMW... she is really happy to have her own brand new car and wants it looking new.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #20
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
I think its more about pride of ownership, wanting to have a clean car. The Mazda CX-7 I just turned back in after the lease was done... I washed it only a handful of times in the 2 years I had it. I just didn't have any pride of ownership in that vehicle.

Washing a car can be therapeutic. My girlfriend washes her Yaris more than I wash my BMW... she is really happy to have her own brand new car and wants it looking new.
Well yea, that is a different story entirely. If you like doing it, and want to, then you might as well.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #21
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
I've seen some cars and trunks look like ghetto rides after only a couple of our winters with the salt all over the road. Seriously, washing is a necessity here, or you'll pay dearly for it.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #22
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
I've seen some cars and trunks look like ghetto rides after only a couple of our winters with the salt all over the road. Seriously, washing is a necessity here, or you'll pay dearly for it.
Either that or the pot holes will get you.

BTW good to see another Sudburian Yaris owner on these boards
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #23
IdaGuy
Assassin

Drives: 1997 Viper GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
The quality of the stuff used in the factories nowadays makes that type of thing only necessary for show cars.
What "stuff" are you referring to that makes proper paint care obsolete?
IdaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #24
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
Either that or the pot holes will get you.

BTW good to see another Sudburian Yaris owner on these boards

"I'm not drunk officer, I'm dodging potholes!"

Sudbury drivers FTW.

www. sudburyrides .com

Take out the spaces from the above address...
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #25
raz1121

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
all i do for the winter is put 3 layer of Zaino z-2 on there and then wash it everytime global warming kicks in and theres a random 50-60 degree day.
raz1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #26
SeaYa
Is about to 'SeaYa' later

Drives: 08 MT Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaGuy View Post
What "stuff" are you referring to that makes proper paint care obsolete?
He may be referring to things like etch resistant clear coat and newer generations of e-coat (electrocoat) that are better quality (even though a few runs through an auto car wash will still leave hairline marks in etch "resistant" clear). Those don't make the car invincible though, and I can't imagine going all winter without washing once or twice....depends how bad your winters are. I made the mistake of going 6 weeks without spraying underneath back in December, just a hectic time, and I'm getting rust all over my exhaust already...only on the 12th payment. At least I know what my next project is!

At least for safety, spray / clean your lights and windows every now and then.
SeaYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #27
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Here's my winter wash technique - Break the snow bank along the driveway with the Xterra, then drive it and the Yaris off the driveway into the snow (to keep the driveway from icing up).

CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #28
IdaGuy
Assassin

Drives: 1997 Viper GTS
I understand paint and clear coat technology has come a long way, even in the past decade. While these advancements make the clear coat resistant to light scratches and some of the elements, there is no reason to believe that responsible paint care is not necessary to maintain a quality paint job.

How much time and money one wants to spend on their vehicle is entirely up to them. Although, considering the OP came in asking a reasonable question about how to take care of his paint, I would expect they are willing to put a little effort into it. Telling someone it's alright to go years or even seasons without taking care of the paint is bad advice.

That said, at the very minimum put a quality coat of wax on the car a couple times a year. Automatic and quarter washes contain harsh soaps that will strip the wax off your vehicle, so I only use the "rinse" setting and spray the body/under carriage clean. Whenever you see fit, wash with a good quality soap that produces lots of suds to carry away debris and contaminants. Use a good waffle weave microfiber towel to dry and keep water spots off the paint.

Doing this will keep your paint looking good but won't take up very much of your time. Good upkeep will make it easier and more rewarding to detail in the summer when you can catch a break in the weather. Do not neglect your paint, as it is expensive to respray and hurts your car's resale.
IdaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #29
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I wash mine once a week at a Mike's car wash. While Mike's isn;t the best...they do get the salt off.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #30
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
Infinity has a new self sealing paint that can "fix itself" from light scratches! It's standard on that new silly looking EX35 crossover based on the G35/37 platform.

Anyway, I wash my vehicles every couple weeks in summer. In winter, I rarely touch them. And if a day is really bad where the wet weather won't subside at all I'll coat my door seals with silicone and wash it at a DIY bay so the doors will open freely the next morning when it's -25 outside.
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote