Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #19
quas
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2007
Plustar Pulse Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
I call BS on Toyota there.... if you actually read about the pulse plugs they do not require any more from the coil than a standard plug.... it has the same input into the plug, the "pulse" is generated within the plug.
I have a 2007 Yaris and have been using the Plus Plugs for two years and they work great increasing my gas mil by 5 miles per gallon I get 40 miles per gallon using them 35 not using them not to mention more power. I think what happen to your Yaris was that you already had a weak coil or a manufacture defect. When a mechanic saw my plugs at a check up he said they where a waste of money which I laughed at because I have been testing them for two years with and without. One very important thing to note is not all mechanics know what they are talking about and very afraid of new technology.
quas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
Marfulion

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Not sure bout what pulstar pulse plugs are, but i can tell you from experience that the ngk iridium plugs really make the throttle feel so much more crisp.
Marfulion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #21
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
lol

scam, really.

you can grind and index plain old OEM plugs and get the exact same performance.

a spark is a spark is a spark. you can't -get a better burn- with a different plug. all you might be able to do is avoid indexing them.

test:

take 2 sheets of paper. take one, light one corner with a wooden match, watch it burn

take the other paper, and light one corner with an gas welder. which paper burns better ?

they both burn the same. ditto for your engine

now yeah I know the ignition point of the paper is the same, but can be achieved earlier
with the torch...but the burn is the same...in a gasoline engine, under compression, a feeble spark vs a hotter
one makes no difference in the speed of the flame front or completion of the burn. but the 'index' or 'aim-point' of the sparkplug
electrode makes a difference if they are set incorrectly. that is why sparkplugs have compression
washers, so you can tighten them, and then index them.

if you index the stock plugs properly, they will be exactly as good as any expensive plug.
hence...expensive high-zoot plug is not really doing anything but making
the wallet lighter.

I am not saying peoples results with high-end plugs are false. they may be true. but those results
can be had with any OEM-spec plug that isn't worn, and is indexed properly. often the 'bigger spark'
plugs, or open-electrode plugs, solve problems that exist due to improperly installed normal plugs.

Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 11-06-2009 at 04:01 PM.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:46 AM   #22
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I don't buy your analogy about the match vs gas welder. The paper would have a faster ignition with the gas welder. I don't buy your feeble spark vs hotter. Why would Ford and Mazda and Mercedes use a double spark plug and why would manufacturer go to individual coils? Why would racers use a hotter ignition system and double spark plugs?
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #23
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
one of the power block shows got 6hp with just the plugs on a dyno.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #24
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
127 is right. Ir are the best plug technology out there. If you run at WOT a lot try one heat range colder - up to a 6. The Bottle and turbo will put you at a 7 heat range or colder. If you what to mod, Bigger coils with big DC feed wires and a slightly larger gap will reduce misfires. Some times when you swap plugs you just luck out with a good index and you get more power.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #25
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
the only way more spark will help is just that...more spark. and i'm not talking a hotter spark. i'm talking longer travel. the spark ignites more gas through it's travel increasing burn times, reducing time it takes for complete combustion...increasing throttle response and increasing mileage due to the fact that less fuel exits the tail pipe.

but...until ford and chevy actually come out with the iridium tipped pistons and a single sided spark plug with no electrode on it...we're stuck with the ages old technology of a .035 thousandths gap.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote