Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2009, 02:50 AM   #19
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp

Yeah okay

Too bad you have nothing to back it up anyway

Why not be constructive and add your experience with sound deadening vehicles...if you have any that is...

Last edited by sqcomp; 04-11-2009 at 10:58 AM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
Car is 90% done. I picked it up yesterday and will be bringing it back Monday to get the rest of the details ironed out.

Sound is PHENOMENAL. The W6 is wayyyyyy more than I was looking for but I've turned it down to suit my needs.

Will post pics maybe tomorrow. Too tired/lazy to go outside and take them now. That and hungover lol
The Spectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:09 AM   #21
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Nice! Pics are definately in order!
Old 04-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #22
The Spectacle

Alright here you go....

And a quick outside shot of the dirty car:

Things to be done:

- Cover needs to be finished for amp rack/sub box
- Crossovers need to be secured (currently under seats)
- Carpeting on kickpanels will be removed on the door sill so it doesn't stand out as much
- iPod adapter installed on HU
Old 04-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #23
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Let's hope you don't step on your speakers.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #24
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I bet that sounds phenomenal. Those are awesome kick pods.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #25
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
i'm surprised the carpet on the kicks is that far off the stock carpet, otherwise... looks good.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #26
The Spectacle

I'm on the fence a about the carpeting on the kicks. I'm thinking about getting them recovered in black or grey vinyl to get them to blend in more. I'm going to sleep on it and see how I feel about it in the morning when I go back.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #27
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Stepping on the kicks shouldn't be a problem. You'll learn to adjust your foot positioning. That is pretty much traditional positioning for mids an tweets in the kick. I'll agree with Taln about the carpet match. I figure the shop asked you about using a close match on the carpet or waiting to get specific carpet for an exact match before they did it.

Are you going to finish the back with carpet?

Last questions, who consulted you on the positioning of the tweeters and mids? What options did the shop offer?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:15 AM   #28
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Kicks did turn out really well shaped and positioned, but as you said yourself, carpet is so-so. The sub and amps layout certainly isn't the traditional one I'm used to seeing, but it actually looks a lot more sturdy and durable than most installs I've seen too. Certainly more servicable like that. Incredibly clean install, no question there.

I assume you're going to get some kind of cover, even if just a metal mesh shelf over the rear equipment? Nice rims too, for some reason I'm thinking hit the sub-box wood bits with a walnut stain like old classic speakers used to all have, as it would be close to your rims if done right, then go with metal open mesh shelf pieces fitted just over the side-wings to protect that gear and fill in the gaps.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #29
The Spectacle

I told the shop what I wanted and let them figure out the rest. I said, "I want really good staging" and was originally going to do tweeters in the A piller or something similar. One guy countered and said he could put the whole 3 way in the dash and I was like no no lol that's way to extreme, I want something simple. Another guy came back with the kickpanel idea and I went for it. All I picked where the components and gave general direction about how I wanted it all installed.

The carpet....eh. The carpet doesn't match because the Yaris has some off color cheapo carpet...the carpet that's on the kicks is going to be the same thats used on the amp rack cover I'm about to get installed today. It does stand out as much as it doesn't in the pics, but its not really all that bad. I mean, who stares down there anyway? You can't see it unless you're looking for it. And it certainly won't look that off in the rear where the seats are the same color right in front of the amp rack/sub box.

As for stepping on the kicks, PeterPoop was just doing his job attempting to be funny. I could "kick" the kickpanels if I wanted to and it wouldn't do anything to them, notice the grilles installed over them.

I'm going to also consult with them today about my time alignment options. Now that I've had the weekend to sample everything, I curious as to how much of a difference a properly setup processor will do.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #30
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spectacle View Post
The carpet....eh. The carpet doesn't match because the Yaris has some off color cheapo carpet...the carpet that's on the kicks is going to be the same thats used on the amp rack cover I'm about to get installed today. It does stand out as much as it doesn't in the pics, but its not really all that bad. I mean, who stares down there anyway? You can't see it unless you're looking for it. And it certainly won't look that off in the rear where the seats are the same color right in front of the amp rack/sub box.
Yeah, the carpet they used is a good carpet, the Yaris isn't exactly a Lexus despite my work to make mine sound like one on the inside. And that works too, wasn't sure if you intended to hide the amp and other gear on the side-shelves in the back, or wanted to leave all that gear exposed a bit yet. And it's not bad at all, it's good construction they did back there too.

Quote:
I'm going to also consult with them today about my time alignment options. Now that I've had the weekend to sample everything, I curious as to how much of a difference a properly setup processor will do.
It makes a world of difference once you hear it in action. Instead of just shoving the positioning around crudely, suddenly things will be 'exactly THERE' and playing with the fade/balance on the head unit will just sound like you're turning down the volume in one area instead of moving the sound around. At least, that's been my experience with a well-tuned time alignment processor in play, but that was riding in a friend's 911.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #31
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I hear you on the strength of glassed kicks. I've still got my first pair of kicks from 1995 in my storage shed. They could easily be put back into service again...anyone have an extra three way ODR set that I can use?

As for your time alignment, what piece are you going to use for that?

How's the soundstage...better question, WHERE is the soundstage on this?

I'd ask about tonality, ambiance, and imaging but that comes later with some critical listening time put into the car...

You know, this would be a good chance to take a day trip over to South Daytona and visit the IASCA headquarters for you. It'd be the beginning of a vice that you'd never get rid of. NOW I'm jealous! It's take me at least 5 days to get to South Daytona.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #32
The Spectacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
I hear you on the strength of glassed kicks. I've still got my first pair of kicks from 1995 in my storage shed. They could easily be put back into service again...anyone have an extra three way ODR set that I can use?

As for your time alignment, what piece are you going to use for that?

How's the soundstage...better question, WHERE is the soundstage on this?

I'd ask about tonality, ambiance, and imaging but that comes later with some critical listening time put into the car...

You know, this would be a good chance to take a day trip over to South Daytona and visit the IASCA headquarters for you. It'd be the beginning of a vice that you'd never get rid of. NOW I'm jealous! It's take me at least 5 days to get to South Daytona.
I'm about to post up the rest of the finished pics but I want to touch on a few of these questions. First, the soundstage does feel like its coming up from the floor and coming at you from that perspective but it is very "filling" as far as the sound hitting your ears. However, I had a female passenger this past Friday and that definitely affects the soundstage quite a bit. When its just me in the car, it sounds just as I want it.

On that note, with the fader/balance set to favor the front & center at it is now, the stage does tend to lean more to my right. It doesn't feel quite as "centered" as it could. I think tomorrow I'll attempt to play with the balance a little and see if I can get some of the driver side boosted to settle things a little more to my taste. Perhaps a TE module could do the trick, but to be honest I don't believe its worth the trouble at this point. I'll drive around on it for a few weeks and see if it really bothers me that much. If it doesn't, I'll more than likely replace the HU with one that has those features already built in. Eclipse/Alpine/Pioneer all come to mind.

I found out today that my nine.4 is bridged to run the 3way setup. This setup makes tuning via the amp's crossover a little tricky because each you have to get the dials the exact same to ensure everything is the same from left to right. I think we've got it close, but I'm sure there's some more tweaking that can be done. My installer believes the nine.4 doesn't have fine enough octave rolloff/dropoff setttings in its HPF that would make getting this just right that much easier. The EQ and filters settings in the JVC HU are rudimentary at best. But, as I've said before, right now it sounds PHENOMENAL. Compared to the stock speakers, its downright colossal in terms of sheer volume.

Sorry, no trips to Daytona for me. I'm not quite into it like that lol.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #33
The Spectacle

The finale!

Please excuse the sun.

So here's what I started with (this picture I actually took today) as far as what the hatch area looks like:

Nothing to see right? WRONG!!!

Cover removed:

The stock rug cover CANNOT stay on without some type of modification being done (I'm going to leave it off). Its a pretty thick pile with rubber backing that sounds like absolute crap when the W6 is doing its thug dizzle.

Some better shots of the HU with iPod interface installed:

iPod is stashed in the glovebox for now. Hertz xovers are hidden under the carpet under the seats and are virtually invisible. The carpeting on the door sills that connect to the kickpanels was left alone...my installer had to sand down those areas to get the carpet to stick and when the carpet was removed it looked worse than just leaving it the way it was.

I'm surprised no one asked this yet so I'll answer it ahead of time...total price for all this out the door was just north of 4k. Not cheap, but it doesn't sound that way either.

- The Spectacle
Old 04-14-2009, 12:53 AM   #34
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

That's BETTER! I can appreciate the trim panel on the amps and sub.

Yeah, the tweet mid on the floor is definately affected by passengers and even your own legs. You'll notice in a lot of competition vehicles and more and more daily drivers that the tweeter at least is off the floor.

I'm wondering how those Hertz' speakers sound off axis.

What time alignment piece are you thinking about at this point?

Regardless...take this time, as you planned, and ENJOY the step up in sound quality! Don't overdrive your system though. Slap in an IASCA CD and see how the vehicle does.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:57 AM   #35
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
oh snap wurd to my mutha.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote