Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #19
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
We all saw what happen when Honda went hybrid with the CRZzzzZZzzZz....
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #20
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Exactly. What i read was saying toyota is waiting to see the success or not of the crz.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #21
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
ok, i just wanna let you know, dont doubt toyota's hybrids. They are NOT made anything like "engine boost" hybrid honda's.

I know wikipedia is not a reliable sourse of information, but from what I have been reading from other forums and auto leaks, alot of it is true. Just using it as a reference:

look at the FT-HS that was just a concept but now possibly going to be in production. I remember this when I was at Lexus before the LF-A came out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_FT-HS

NOW, check out what LF-A is bringing to the table.. an LF-A Hybrid in the works
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/30/s...-in-the-works/

I just want you guys to understand that basicly the transmission is running the hybrids, not the motor. Motor acts as the boost of power/charging the battery during hard acceleration and constant hwy driving. The "transmission" is basicly a giant magnet that floats in the casing "no transmission fluid". and the coils around it trigger Positive and Negative current to rotate that magnet. This is pure raw torque..

Just think how much pull you get when you try to hover a magnet over a sheet of metal (frigerator). Imagine a HUGE magnet doing that same thing. but rotating to "+" "-" in pulses around a casing to turn those wheels.

more info on that here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

Dont be pissed that toyota is going to make a hybrid performance car. Cuz when they do, It wont be a laughing matter. The real question is, when will they do it?

I think that what is really scaring me about thier re-engineering is the fact they may go FWD =( That will be a huge dissapointment for me.
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
FYI: TOYOTA already has this and a few other performance HYBRID'S on tap. Although an FT-86 isn't one of them....
ROCKLANDTOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #23
ilikerice

"on tap", you mean in production? or more concepts?
Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #24
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLANDTOYOTA View Post
FYI: TOYOTA already has this and a few other performance HYBRID'S on tap. Although an FT-86 isn't one of them....
I am pretty sure the FT86 isn't called that anymore. I believe it is the FR-S and branded under scion. But now it's delayed to possibly be a hybrid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S1dEfzLTGU
Old 07-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #25
detroiter

I missed reading that part...did you say that the FT86 might be turned into a FWD?? I don't know if I believe that because that is one of the main reasons people are dying for this car, because it's supposed to be llightweight and RWD. If Toyota does make it FWD, consider it a total loss...
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #26
ilikerice

Its all up in the air now.. I dont know, but I am with you. If it goes FWD then I will give up.

From autoblog:
Quote:
Additionally, ToMoCo is reportedly gauging the success of the Honda CR-Z, which could influence the final drivetrain specs of the FT-86. If that means a hybrid powerplant is in the cards, we're not totally heartbroken, but if Toyota decides to remake the coupe as a front-driver, consider our dreams officially dashed
If they go Hybrid, I will still be ok with that and prob still buy it.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #27
detroiter

"success of the Honda CRZ"?

I've always read and heard that the car basically bombed compared to what they thought it would sell.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #28
PETERPOOP

told ya guys..
Old 07-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #29
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
I am pretty sure the FT86 isn't called that anymore. I believe it is the FR-S and branded under scion. But now it's delayed to possibly be a hybrid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S1dEfzLTGU
im guessing you still haven't realized yet that the FT86 and the scion FR-S are 2 totally different projects...

the HYBRID your all talking about is built on a modified mr2 spyder chasis witha highlander hybrid drivetrain....
Old 07-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #30
PETERPOOP

Quote:
im guessing you still haven't realized yet that the FT86 and the scion FR-S are 2 totally different projects...

the HYBRID your all talking about is built on a modified mr2 spyder chasis witha highlander hybrid drivetrain....
Yes I am confused. So is it referred to as the FT86 II now?

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/toyota/...-ar104036.html

Why would toyota design the FT86 to look almost identical to the scion FR-S?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42703285...cept-race-car/
Old 07-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #31
detroiter

The Toyota fr-s IS the Scion fr-s.

Only in the North American market does the "Scion" brand exist, so it will be
called the Scion Fr-S...in the rest of the world where they only have the
Toyota brand, it will be called the Toyota Fr-S.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #32
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

toyota has more than 1 of these floating around. Scion will reap the n/a version and if you people have been paying attention Toyota will be playing with a turbo version. But since i can't throw out photos to support my claim i guess i have no idea what im talking about......
Old 07-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #33
ilikerice

u know the saying "No pictures, it never happend!" lol.. we will see when the time comes i guess
Old 07-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #34
detroiter

I know myself, I've been toying with the idea of somehow getting a Hyundai Genesis Coupe since it seems they are the only company that knows what people want and actually have the balls to build it. Priced cheap, RWD and turbo. Nothing against the country of origin but it's pretty bad when a Korean automaker is outdoing Japanese at what they USED to do best.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #35
PETERPOOP

Quote:

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/10-new-c...iting-for.html

Toyota/Subaru FT-86 Sports Car (December 2011)

The joint-project sports car from Toyota and Subaru is now getting far enough along to report at least the following, even though we're certain much will change. The car is said to be very light, and to use at least two versions of Subaru's flat, 2.0-liter four, with output purported to be around 200 hp in the RWD Toyota model and 250 hp in the Subaru version. Toyota's edition bows first, reportedly late this year, and not as a Toyota, but as a Scion, with the name FR-S. The Subie, if it comes to these shores, won't arrive until mid-2012 at the soonest. Pricing for the SubaScion is expected to be in the mid-$20K range.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #36
ilikerice

I'm excited!