Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Quote:
so how does it feel? Butt dyno
So far very good. A lot of the things that have been annoying me seemed to have gone away. I haven't been able to get the inside to spin on the areas I normally see it, the backend also doesn't seem to step out as easily which I don't understand quite why yet but I'll have better understanding of how it behaves at the limit this weekend.

Quote:
hat is a lot of angle on the bar, can you flip the endlinks and get the bar flat at rest?
That was the way I initially planned it, but once everything was mocked up there was interference with the shock under compression.
So the options I had were to move the link outboard and use a longer bolt for the shock, which makes it longer and still single shear on the same semi thin bolt.
Move the arms as you can see above, it makes them go at a extreme angle so the forces are uneven side to side IE you transfer more force to one side over the other under twist. This setup isn't ideal but it helps me get a better understanding of how this kind of bar works over just utilizing the torsion beam alone. I could have milled the aluminum down and used a ball joint to get some extra space, but given the interference and the axle play I didn't want to risk it.

The third option is the one I'm planning on doing later, is to get 30 degree arms so they sit parallel to the ground using the bottom link.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #20
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post

The third option is the one I'm planning on doing later, is to get 30 degree arms so they sit parallel to the ground using the bottom link.
Option four, droop limiters in the rear shocks and drop 30lbs of unneeded swaybar.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #21
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Option four, droop limiters in the rear shocks and drop 30lbs of unneeded swaybar.
Its closer to 15lbs
Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #22
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Thank you Namer for further pushing the development on the Yaris. :)

You still need a CAI, though!
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #23
TOUGEghost
Mr. Clean

Drives: 2009 Yaris S 3-Door
Wow, finally, someone who realizes how a real sway bar works! Nice job.
TOUGEghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #24
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
Thank you Namer for further pushing the development on the Yaris. :)

You still need a CAI, though!
Gotta make sure I can get power down before I turn power up

Getting the car ready for the race this weekend, will have a better idea on how it works when everything is said and done.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #25
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

First test is in...and I don't know how to drive the car now.

Biggest thing that comes away from this to me is I can trail brake now, the car doesn't want to get loose on liftoff, so it doesn't rotate all that well. Not a bad thing but something I kept finding myself anticipating but never happening.

Overall it behaves like driving a RWD mcstrut car, on lift off or braking it doesn't want to turn but power down it turns in really really nicely, I think part of that is springs but I don't know what else to attribute it too. I can mat it wherever I want now, the inside tire will not spin on anything aside from a clutch dump. Its going to take some relearning of the car but I think its working exactly like I wanted it too. I need to play with the springs again but the rates I was running were fairly close to what would be a good match.(Thanks again Jason)

The suspension video is really cool to watch and a touch disappointing as well since I don't have wide enough rims.

RSB Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whM3f...ature=youtu.be

Fast Run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kItBgm8kuJs
Old 05-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #26
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
id be worried about all the deflection using the tow hooks as mounts. In your videos they move around ALOT...not designed for side loads. I would attempt to build strong brackets that bolt to the frame.

I have damn near on command lift-off oversteer with my Yaris sedan with the UR 23? mm RSB...but i also have more weight to fling about, so that gives me leverage.

I like your idea, I just think it needs refinement. Good work!

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #27
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I need to stick a tape measure up there to verify but I think some of what looks like deflection is the gopro flexing on the bumper.

There really isn't that much load going through the toe hooks it really shouldn't exceed 500 lbs which 2 stamped 1/8 pieces of steel should be okay.

Lift Off oversteer is mostly bad in my situation, controlled rotation is good but not being able to get confidence the car isn't going to spin is bad. Of the fast STC guys who've driven my car, that was the one major complaint they had was that with the 19mm TRD bar, the car wanted to rotate too much.

As a double check I pulled one mount of the swaybar and pulled the bar like a breaker bar. The energy bushing and my mount deflect and I wasn't really able to get the toehooks to move. Those toehooks must be designed to pick the car up individually, they seem way overkill for a 2400 lb car.

Last edited by xnamerxx; 05-26-2013 at 07:31 PM.