Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #19
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
I think if it is necessary to buy a used car, it is wise to buy from the intended brand's dealer. Most dealers inspect their used cars before selling and offer some kind of warranty for what they sell. When there is trouble, they are easier than other used car sellers to approach. But then, their prices are usually higher. You get what you pay for. Hard to have best of both worlds. Also note that if it is a Yaris that you want, it will be very hard if not impossible to find a used one. They started to be available to Canada only in late 2005, and are yet to be made available in the US. I admire your rational thinking and I think your final choice of the Yaris is good Jay!

Last edited by swng; 02-06-2006 at 07:40 PM.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:06 AM   #20
jay

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE 5dr AT
Thanks for the welcome guys Just trying to provide a view as to what led me to my purchase (a simple consideration of the facts vs. the priorities).

I decided against the used car route largely b/c I was (and still am) simply not qualified to shop for one. It just isn't in my expertise/aptitude/interest. Too much uncertainty, and not enough potential payoff to make sense for this ignorant neophyte.

While it was within my budget, it's true that I had to save up longer for the Yaris. I understand that this isn't necessarily the case for everyone, and I am well aware that I was in a privileged position to make the call.

I guess the bottom line was that in my eyes, the Yaris seemed more likely to "pay me back" in terms of fewer unexpected repairs, less stress, and more time to do other things The Yaris' design is up to date (and hopefully had some time to work out some bugs since the Feb 2005 Japan release), its a small low emissions vehicle, seems well built, and it shouldn't be very expensive to own over the years. It's not perfect (what is?), but it's working for me so far.
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #21
TomK
OKtoyota

Drives: Toyota Highlander Lmtd.
The car reminds me of a higher quality Geo Metro hatchback that I owned many moons ago. It was fun to drive and got great mileage. The wait for Toyota to make something similar and available here in the USA is worth it. I will be attending the Pittsburgh Auto show this coming weekend and looking forward to checking it out! It's a Toyota, so I don't have to worry about quality. I own a 2001 FWD Toyota Highlander Lmtd, love it, but looking for a run-a-bout 5-speed that gets above 30mpg and is fund to drive. ---That's all!
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:23 PM   #22
wushumasterku

Drives: 06 White LE HB 5spd
after owning 2 enthusiast vehicles.. prelude and xterra
i have came to the conclusion that vehicles in general are a waste of money and money sink.
so that's why i've choosen yaris since it's relatively cheap and meets my basic needs.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:25 AM   #23
jay

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE 5dr AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushumasterku
after owning 2 enthusiast vehicles.. prelude and xterra
i have came to the conclusion that vehicles in general are a waste of money and money sink.
so that's why i've choosen yaris since it's relatively cheap and meets my basic needs.

wushumasterku, I think you may have captured the gist of what I rambled on about, but in 2 sentences.
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #24
wushumasterku

Drives: 06 White LE HB 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay

wushumasterku, I think you may have captured the gist of what I rambled on about, but in 2 sentences.
yea i can't say how much the yaris has saved me in $$ and not to mention it's easy and fun to drive.. very nimble and not boring.

some people clench when they see the yaris or hear about it, but hey it's not them driving it, it's me.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #25
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushumasterku
yea i can't say how much the yaris has saved me in $$ and not to mention it's easy and fun to drive.. very nimble and not boring.

some people clench when they see the yaris or hear about it, but hey it's not them driving it, it's me.
I never feel uneasy driving my Yaris.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:49 PM   #26
dandj

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan auto
IF I get a Yaris it will be for fuel economy and more important is the seating position. If it sits as good as the echo and as easy to get in and out I will buy. This would be a commuter car only so bells and whistles and bells don't matter although I do like the S sedan.
dandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:58 PM   #27
guy_likewhoa

Drives: '04 Yaris
I used to drive a '93 240 and an AE86. Both cars were becoming very unreliable as I drift and break parts. I ended up selling both, and jumped on the vitz for 1)reliablility 2)fuel economy 3)I really like the way the car looks 4)The thing is CHEAP!!
guy_likewhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:36 AM   #28
Ronin

Drives: MR2
It's a Toyota hatchback! And it's finally here! The Corolla FX-16 was the last hatchback that Toyota sold here in the states. The FX-16 GTS came with a 4AGE. I really wish that Toyota would sell the RS or T-Sport over here...even if it's a limited edition. Otherwise I'll have to buy a Blitz supercharger...or wait to see what changes the 08 will have.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #29
Fyxxterzc

Drives: 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedDesign
I fell in love with it when the Drift King, Dori Dori, test drove it in a 2 liter challenge in BMI. They supercharged it and got a special award for being wicked good. It clocked the slowest time trial however, every one of the drivers agreed it was the most well balanced, fun car out there. SOLD.
Do you have a link to this vid?
Fyxxterzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #30
plushDJ

Drives: 2007 3 dr manual
My car was getting a little old. I'm pretty picky about what I get and when I saw the Yaris commercials I knew I had to get one from the very first sight.
plushDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:50 PM   #31
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i had to unexpectedly replace my 96 plymouth breeze when they wouldn't do an emissions test because of some visible smoke coming from the tailpipe,
i wasn't going to do the high priced repairs on that car as it had close to 300,000 km on it.
when my wife and i went looking for cars, we were looking at subcompacts for many of the same reasons as jay has stated and the yaris had just come out,
i really liked it from the start and when test driving the offerings from other companies, they just didn't compare.
i actually work part time for a car rental company and the toyotas have the fewest problems of any of the cars we deal with,
the worst is hyundai (despite claims to improved quality),

my only beef is the lack of 60/40 split seat on the base models, and i wasn't prepared to spend an extra $3000 to get it on the rs model.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:24 AM   #32
Mad Munchkin
makeminesilver...I think

Drives: 07 Yaris 5dr-B RS man/silver
I've driven a 4 door tercel for 12 years! It was time for something fun. I looked at the Corolla and then at the Yaris sedan but they reminded me a bit too much of my old car so I traded the "trunk" for some fun...so far a great trade!
Mad Munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:56 PM   #33
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
well the reasons i've ordered/am buying mine is because:
- cheap price
- fuel economy
- tired of fixing used cars and not knowing history
- cause they look so damn cool :p

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:17 AM   #34
St.Francis

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback, Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by eight_heads
well the reasons i've ordered/am buying mine is because:
- cheap price
- fuel economy
- tired of fixing used cars and not knowing history
- cause they look so damn cool :p
You took the words out of my mouth eight_heads.
My liftback is due to be delivered on 06/09/06
St.Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:19 AM   #35
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Francis
You took the words out of my mouth eight_heads.
My liftback is due to be delivered on 06/09/06
i hope we get them on time

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:35 PM   #36
Tankota
Prototype Tester

Drives: Yaris S-Sedan / FJ Cruiser
The main reason I got one is that I right now I spend almost $500 a month on gas alone driving my Tacoma for work and everything else, and my truck realy isn't set up to be a daily driver, I even have another set of tires I use for the street to help with the milage. Now I can park my truck and use it for it's main purpose, off-road, and not have the wear/tear on the much more expensive parts driving it around for normal stuff. Even figuring low for the milage, I'm coming ahead $100 a month including payments, insurance, and gas. It's basicaly a free car for me at current gas prices.

Plus the sedan was the first one in that price/milage catagory that I actually liked the looks of, and would want to drive.. I've been driving Toyota 4x4's for over 22 years now, this will be the first new car I've bought for me. The Corolla I don't realy like the looks, and the other brands are not even close.. plus since I abuse Toyota's as a part time job/hobby, I know how well they stand up and wanted to stick with Toyota. I was even more impressed after test driving one. I'm still amazed at it's looks and all it offers for the price. While the Prius gets better milage, I dont' like it's looks, and for the $10,000 more it's not worth it.. it won't save me $10,000 in gas and I won't have the battery's to worry about. The Corolla may be close in milage and price, but like I said I'm much more impressed with the Yaris sedan looks, both inside and out, and exspecialy with the S-package. For me, they got this car right..
Tankota is offline   Reply With Quote