Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-31-2008, 07:07 PM   #19
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GLH View Post
theres the reason aftermarket HID kits are illegal in some states. For $1 I bet the stock lights light better.
I have an 8000K HID kit as well and it's a million times brighter.

The stock lights are so dim; I got SilverStar Ultras and they still weren't bright.

The HID Kit not only looks cool, but is definitely brighter than stock. Why wouldn't it be?

And also, you just aim them at the ground and nobody gets blinded.

Glad to see yours worked out for you Architect.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:09 PM   #20
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Send a message via AIM to The Architect
gracias senor, my thoughts exactly.

(thats my highscool spanish in full effect)

(3) 12" Alpine Type R Subs/Hifonics BXi1208D
Hifonics ZXi6.5c / 2006 Kicker ZX350.4
Knu Fleks 1/0 Wiring & In Big 3
Optima Yellow Top Battery/Iraggi HO Alternator
Alpine CDA-105, KCA-420i/KCA-121b/KCE-400BT
PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
The Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:57 PM   #21
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GLH View Post
theres the reason aftermarket HID kits are illegal in some states. For $1 I bet the stock lights light better.
They aren't illegal in some states, they're illegal in all states.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:17 AM   #22
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank View Post
I have an 8000K HID kit as well and it's a million times brighter.

The stock lights are so dim; I got SilverStar Ultras and they still weren't bright.

The HID Kit not only looks cool, but is definitely brighter than stock. Why wouldn't it be?

And also, you just aim them at the ground and nobody gets blinded.

Glad to see yours worked out for you Architect.
+1. I have a 6000k set on my sedan.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #23
GreenSpeed

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
I think I'm gonna take the plunge and add this kit to my depot lights. Just to be sure, I need to order the 9300 Hi/Lo Bulb(Hi-Halogen/Lo-HID) kit, correct?

Appreciated!
GreenSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #24
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

im not sure how it would work if you have the depo projectors and you bought the bi-xenon kit, since theres seperates bulbs for high and low beam on the depo projectors I would think that 2 sets of HIDs would be need, one for highs and one for lows....

please correct me if im wrong and i very well may be.

PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
Old 01-02-2009, 05:37 AM   #25
taKuto
rice rocket

Drives: 05 Echo
do not bother with a 'bixenon kit' if you have projectors. Projectors use a fixed focal length, and the design of a projector does not allow you to make use of any sort of high beam bulb. Bixenon projectors will be what you'll want, but these require retrofitting of a bixenon HID projector (TL, E46, FX45,E55,RS6, etc)

hid kits into projector headlights will not produce glare, this is just by design. A metal shield prevents light from passing a certain point (aka the cutoff). Glare kits in a reflector housing is what everyone hates on. Don't mix these two up. As long as it's a projector, it's much more respectable over a glare kit in your stock reflector headlights.

Only downfalls with most ebay/depo projector headlights is their lack of width. This is why halogen bulbs in those projectors offer poor performance. But with an HID kit, you boost the intensity and suddenly the concern for width doesn't matter to you because you'll be satisfied with the upgraded light intensity.

The Architect, from your pictures it does not look like you got 8000k. This is normal for most companies to give you different color temperature bulbs as china kits are a hit-or-miss on color temperature. It's good you didn't get 8000k as they are terrible. Your pictures look more in the 5000-6000k range.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:26 AM   #26
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

yeai was pretty sure i ordered 6000k and they look to even be 6000k but the box said 8000k so i went with it.

thanks for clearing it all up.

one last question in case you know.

on our headlight harnesses which are of course female, there are three slots ot be filled, left, right and then one on top between the two. (as shown below)

DISREGARD THE WORDS AND LINES

What is the purpose of each slot?

Is one for low beam and one for high and one for ground or what.

I want to know what needs to be done or what needs to be plugged in for the second set of HIDs (when i get them) to be able to be used as high beams.

PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
Old 01-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #27
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I can't remember (and Thomas helped me out on this), but I think one is positive, one is negative, and one is a ground.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #28
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
You've got power (always on), low ground and high ground. If you add a second set to use as high beams, your lows will turn off when the highs turn on. You'll be blind while they strike and warm up. Switching the ballasts on and off will kill them and the bulbs.

A better way would be to keep the halogens in and build this harness which will keep the HID lows on when you turn on the halogen high beams. It also allows you to flash the highs without turning on the lows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiringdiagram.jpg (38.0 KB, 229 views)
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #29
89GLH

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4 door hatch
for the record, DO NOT PUT HIDs IN A REFLECTOR HOUSING. Thats what I'm referring to. If they're in a projector housing (what they're made for) they dont bling you (as much) as if they were in a reflector housing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw
89GLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #30
GreenSpeed

I'm terrible at reading schematics and even worse at electrical work...are the R1, R2 and R3 boxes meant to be connectors and where could I pick them up? Do the repeated ovals in each box represent a fuse? Sorry to be such a nuisance, but I want to do this properly when the HID kit and projectors show up. A shopping list for the harness would be very helpful.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #31
taKuto
rice rocket

Drives: 05 Echo
those three are relays. That circuit seems to just allow HID's to be turned on only when parking light is on. I can't see a use for R2.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #32
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
just read through this thread, a few observations...

1) It looks like the car is on an incline, which is why the cutoff seems so high?
2) As these projector lights have separate bulbs for high and low beam, there's no reason why you'd have to lose the high beam?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #33
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

well there is a slight incline yes, but not enough so to justify it being as high as it is, during normal driving it is noticeable although not a problem.

And the high beams are gone because the headlights harness isnt being used anymore, the HIDs "harness" if you can call it that is being used, I suppose one could just snip off the harness and add a tiny ring terminal to the proper wire and reinsert it into the female harness.

PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
Old 01-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #34
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
89GLH - You missed one point. All projectors aren't made for HID's! IMHO, the only way to go is HID bulbs in HID REFLECTOR housings! I wish they made the blacked out headlights in this format, but they don't. However, depoautolights does make a set of headlights with HID projectors in them. cali yaris is one of the few to have them, and they're fantastic.

GreenSpeed - those are relays. Violin has a fantastic thread about his retrofit here: http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3594. THAT is the way to put HID projectors in your car. His were from a BMW E46 if I'm not mistaken.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #35
GreenSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
GreenSpeed - those are relays. Violin has a fantastic thread about his retrofit here: http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3594. THAT is the way to put HID projectors in your car. His were from a BMW E46 if I'm not mistaken.
Great article Charles. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #36
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
That's insanely bright! I would personally drop it down to 5000K to get a more optimal white projection without the excessive brightness. That's just me though

On the bright side (no pun intended), maybe now we won't find anymore threads about LBs hitting deers

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote