Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #19
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
i just found out that echo shocks fit xA and xB, i was not aware of that...
yes they do!

back to other questions.. are there any other cars that utilize top 1bolt setups?

VW golf !

Golf III that is ( 1994 or so)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.

Last edited by Tamago; 02-26-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:13 PM   #20
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
yes they do!

back to other questions.. are there any other cars that utilize top 1bolt setups?

VW golf !

Golf III that is ( 1994 or so)
never thought of that... what makes you think the lower mount will work? is there some sort of universal size i dont know about??
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #21
Tamago

Quote:
never thought of that... what makes you think the lower mount will work? is there some sort of universal size i dont know about??
nothign makes me think it will work. but there will be 100X more options for a golfIII than a toyota echo (that's not 1bolt upper anyway)

modification is modification

and since a golfIII is heavier than a yaris, you'll be starting out with stiffer valving to begin with. which is FTW
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #22
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
nothign makes me think it will work. but there will be 100X more options for a golfIII than a toyota echo (that's not 1bolt upper anyway)

modification is modification

and since a golfIII is heavier than a yaris, you'll be starting out with stiffer valving to begin with. which is FTW
ok, i see your point... want to buy some koni's? LOL
Old 02-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #23
Tamago

Quote:
ok, i see your point...
i bet if you call tire rack they'd be kind enough to give you dimensions of the lower bolt holes c/c for the golfIII

also it looks like the yaris "leans" more (bolt holes)

if you get the shocks i'm willing to weld/modify the brackets to fit a yaris.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #24
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
i bet if you call tire rack they'd be kind enough to give you dimensions of the lower bolt holes c/c for the golfIII

also it looks like the yaris "leans" more (bolt holes)

if you get the shocks i'm willing to weld/modify the brackets to fit a yaris.
awesome, thats really nice of you... i will do some more research and get back to you. id rather figure out how to get these konis on though since i already have them.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #25
Tamago

Quote:
awesome, thats really nice of you... i will do some more research and get back to you. id rather figure out how to get these konis on though since i already have them.
perhaps a washer on top of the strut rod to protect the yaris bearing from those flat sides?
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #26
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
perhaps a washer on top of the strut rod to protect the yaris bearing from those flat sides?
good thinking... it will be interesting to see the pics loren posts.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #27
Tamago

Quote:
next yaris i take apart i'll take dimensions and pix.

south florida owners! let me take your car apart!!!
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #28
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Um... I offered to take pictures and measurements, but nobody ever said that they wanted me to do so. :)

What do you need photos of exactly?

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #29
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Um... I offered to take pictures and measurements, but nobody ever said that they wanted me to do so. :)

What do you need photos of exactly?
oh, sorry mate lol... yeah, do you think you could do that? did you see my pics? could you take one of the lower bracket like that? also one of the top of the strut mount? Could you also measure the distance between the bolt holes in the lower mount? I know thats alot, sorry :( Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #30
Tamago

Quote:
oh, sorry mate lol... yeah, do you think you could do that? did you see my pics? could you take one of the lower bracket like that? also one of the top of the strut mount? Could you also measure the distance between the bolt holes in the lower mount? I know thats alot, sorry :( Thanks again!
also, measure over from the strut body to the centerline of each hole, upper and lower.. it'll make fabbing the new brackets much better (giving the "triangle" dimension to allow for proper camber)
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #31
Loren
What?

My upper mounts are on the car! I can take photos of a front strut, though. Will get out to the garage with the camera in a little bit.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #32
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
FYI: stock Yaris shocks for sale if it helps anything with this: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11684
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #33
Loren
What?

Okay, I got some critical measurements and a couple photos. All data and photos are in the attached PDF. I think in inches, but use mm when I want to be precise, so bear with me...

Overall length of the shock body is about 14". From center of upper hub mounting bolt to top of shock is about 10-7/8". From center of upper hub mounting bolt to center of spring perch is about 7-1/2".

Hub mounting holes are about 58-59mm center-to-center, and about 45mm from the center of the strut body. The distance between the two mounting surfaces (the thickness of the hub mounting flange) is about 29mm. The strut body is 50mm OD.

The full exposed shaft length is 9-7/16" extended, less 1-7/16" for the threaded portion, so 8" from the top of the body to the bottom of the upper mount. The shaft compresses a total of 6.5" from 8" to about 1.5". The bump stop measures 3-9/16" free, and estimated 2-1/2" fully compressed.

All of that means that the bump stop keeps the shock from compressing it's last inch of travel (to keep it from self-destructing when it bottoms out), and the actual full travel of the shock as fitted is 5.5" (8" full-length minus 2.5" compressed bump stop). The car likely rests right in the middle of that travel at rest, leaving 2.75" of compression travel, the last inch of which is compressing the bump stops. (and people wonder why I tell them not to fit "2-inch drop" springs on the car!)

The threaded portion of the shaft is 12mm, which should be standard for Koni. There are no slots or grooves in the threaded part of the shaft, so if you get a Koni that is otherwise correct, with a 12mm shaft that is at least 1-7/16" long, it should fit the stock upper mount just fine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Front Strut Measurements.pdf (294.4 KB, 16 views)

Old 02-28-2009, 12:47 AM   #34
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Awesome! I had a long day in the OR today, so i will get some measurements tomorrow. Thanks alot! lets see if we can get this done :D