Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Is your Yaris 1.5 Engine Noisy?
TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP 52 42.62%
what noise? 62 50.82%
i have no idea if my engine is making noise or not 8 6.56%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #19
Vinsanity

Drives: Yaris
it's loud because we're so close to the engine. lol. but it make a decent noise
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #20
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
If I’m sitting in the car with the windows down I do hear it running. I don’t have any taps, clicking, or anything like that. It sounds like a little kitten purring.

My last car started clicking all the time at 31,000 and no dealer would touch it. It blow at 38,000 and I called the closest Toyota dealership and told them I needed a Yaris and I needed it now but could not get there. A sales man was sent out to get me so I could test drive it back to the dealership.

Honda dose is still giving me a hard time about that car because it hit 38,000 in under a year and half. They tell me I abused the car even though most of the dealers I took it to told me that there is no way it had that many miles until it started clicking. I always get all of my work done at dealers because of the amount of miles I do a week. I not always around the same place but I still hit a dealer.
firebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #21
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
firebob: could you explain why no dealer would touch it?
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #22
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
Some told me I needed to take it to the dealer I got it form and some told me that I abused it because of the mileage. I have been in touch with a factory rep for the last 3 months and they have been looking into it. Now that it’s dead and sitting on a Honda lot in GA something will get done about it.
firebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #23
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
The engine noise is ok. The highway noise could be lower or I need a louder radio.
with no radio on i can hear the car is on but i dont consider it noisy. with the radio on lol the car has turned of me and me never noticed.. 2 subs can do that lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebob View Post
Some told me I needed to take it to the dealer I got it form and some told me that I abused it because of the mileage. I have been in touch with a factory rep for the last 3 months and they have been looking into it. Now that it’s dead and sitting on a Honda lot in GA something will get done about it.
Sorry to hear about he problems hope it gets resolved

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. --Tom Clancy
Arkhangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #24
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
wow, it's pretty close on people who dinks it's noisy and those who don't, i am bumping this thread to move it to page 1
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #25
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

My 2009 automatic sedan only has 500 miles on it at the moment, but it's very quiet at idle and at cruise. I think it's the quietest car I've been in at 70 MPH down the Interstate. No joke. Far quieter than the Volvo 850 Turbo I traded in for it.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #26
SLIK4
Michael

Drives: 07 Silver Yaris Sedan
i only have a few clicking sounds when its cold and only in reverse after that well...it sounds like a 1.5 4
SLIK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #27
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
No tap tap tap noise. Just typical engine noise expected on acceleration.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #28
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
I assume the tap tap tap is just your way or saying the engine is too loud (in the poll) I think it's louder then any other car I've owned, but mainly because it gets loud under higher revs, and I blast around in it all the time... It sounds pretty good... it's going to get louder with aftermarket exhaust and intake. I do see why the reviews say it's loud tho...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #29
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
mine makes a lot of noise, almost like its growling at me under WOT, oh wait.....thats just the cold air, lol

but seriously, no noise from the actual engine here.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #30
dccurrent

Drives: Yaris 5 door Liftback
I get a louder whirring noise and/or vibration between 60 and like 68 mph and then the engine sounds smoother when I get above 70 mph. Weird that it sounds better at a faster speed. Below 60 the engine is quite smooth all things considered.
dccurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:59 PM   #31
White Yaris
Broke Tuner

Drives: White Yaris
lol at everyone. Im so happy that im deaf so nothing is bothering me...
Old 03-31-2009, 01:12 AM   #32
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havana View Post
I get no tapping sounds at all but plenty of noise during acceleration and high speed travel. At idle, it's so quiet I can't even tell it's running.
Same. I've had one friend come to a stop at a red light driving my car, and curse and try to re-start the car thinking they'd stalled it. Idle = silent.

It would be nice to have some good high-frequency damping on the firewall though, I'll take some recordings before and after I install that damping later this month, and include some on the sound of the doors with/without being all sealed up.

As it is, on the highway my CB antenna is (by far) the loudest noise in the cabin unless it's raining, then it's the rain on the roof. No before/after on that, but a bit of damping on the roof under the headliner clears it right up.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:36 AM   #33
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Yes, when driving on the highway in the rain, the sound of the raindrops hitting the windshield and body is by far the loudest sound I hear.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:32 PM   #34
buchieboy

Drives: Toyota Yaris
mine has tapping sounds when on stop
Sometimes the engine also sounds loud before being quiet again..its like its reving higher

this happens when at full stop. its like the engine's breathing
buchieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #35
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

If you're idling the engine with the car stopped and intermittently hear a whirring or soft roar, it's the electric radiator fan cutting on to keep the engine from getting too hot. It usually doesn't have to run when you're driving, as the car's motion pushes enough air through the radiator.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #36
Soner

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to Soner
My Yaris makes this (I really don't know how to describe it but this is the best I can do whooo whooo whooo whoo.....) noise if I go over 70 mph.
I am sure it's coming from the engine because when I accelerate to 80 mph and start cruising the noise goes away, however the second I push the gas pedal it comes back.
Soner is offline   Reply With Quote