Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-30-2006, 05:20 PM   #19
ism3t
YarVitz

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
Cooler air is more dense than warm air because on a microscopic level there is less mollecular movement of the air itself. In other words, you can cram more cold air than warm air into the same space.

The first two strokes of an internal combustion engine have to do with first taking air and fuel into the combustion chamber, then compressing this mixture right before ignition. A cold air intake does a few things to help this process along. First, it (usually) relocates your source of air further from heat-producing parts of the engine, hence the term cold air intake. Second, it (usually) cuts down the length of space in which the air has to move, thus your air hits the intake manifold at a higher speed. Both of these facts mean more air in the combustion chamber, and more air means more oxygen which means a more violent ignition... which means more HP!
wow, just wow man!
ism3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:09 PM   #20
jeff_o

Drives: 07 Yaris
Send a message via ICQ to jeff_o Send a message via MSN to jeff_o Send a message via Yahoo to jeff_o
wow... chinocharles.. everything you said makes sense... now i understand... it's all physics. by the way have you heard of the vortex air intake? it just swirls the air going towards your intake manifold... i kinda don't believe it will give you more HP as opposed to what they advertise. whatcha think man?
jeff_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:46 PM   #21
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_o
wow... chinocharles.. everything you said makes sense... now i understand... it's all physics. by the way have you heard of the vortex air intake? it just swirls the air going towards your intake manifold... i kinda don't believe it will give you more HP as opposed to what they advertise. whatcha think man?
Those "Tornado Fuel Savers" or the other 50 names they go by are complete and total BS, they actually end up making the intake a little more restrictive! Other scams to watch out for are the fuel line magnets and the "electric superchargers"
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:23 PM   #22
RTsang

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS 5DR HB
Quote:
Cooler air is more dense than warm air because on a microscopic level there is less mollecular movement of the air itself. In other words, you can cram more cold air than warm air into the same space.

The first two strokes of an internal combustion engine have to do with first taking air and fuel into the combustion chamber, then compressing this mixture right before ignition. A cold air intake does a few things to help this process along. First, it (usually) relocates your source of air further from heat-producing parts of the engine, hence the term cold air intake. Second, it (usually) cuts down the length of space in which the air has to move, thus your air hits the intake manifold at a higher speed. Both of these facts mean more air in the combustion chamber, and more air means more oxygen which means a more violent ignition... which means more HP!
How does this affect the mileage? I can't imagine getting extra HP without decreasing the MPG.
RTsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:54 PM   #23
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I've heard some real-world gains with Tornado's and related products, but it could be bullshit. I've never had one myself so I can't really vouch for it. IMHO if you're one of the people looking to stretch the gas mileage on your Yaris (I'm not that person) go drop the 15 bucks or so on a vortex generator and test it out. What do you have to lose?

As far as how it affects mileage, I don't know much about cars but I do know my math and science (physics) and I'll propose this idea and someone smarter can correct me if I am wrong, but... in the intake there is a sensor for the amount and composition (temp, speed, etc) of air coming into the engine, and according to this reading fuel is richened or... uhm... stoicized? (thinned out haha) Like I said, CAI means more oxygen which means the engine (with the MAF sensor info) will "know" it doesn't need as much fuel and will use less accordingly. I don't know a wrench from a mouse, but it makes sense to me.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:57 AM   #24
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Yes exactly.I have to say that the consumption of fuel isn't affected at all.If you drive carefully, the car remains as economic as before.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:12 AM   #25
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
So bottom line is that if you drive the same way after installing a CAI, your MPG will go down?
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:25 AM   #26
Katana

I don't know if it will go down, but for sure it will not go up.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:10 AM   #27
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
CAI means more oxygen which means the engine (with the MAF sensor info) will "know" it doesn't need as much fuel and will use less accordingly. I don't know a wrench from a mouse, but it makes sense to me.
the more oxygen/air the MAF senser sees the more fuel the computer would send to the engine to maintain the proper ratio.

but at a similar air flow the engine will see the same amount of fuel with or without a cold air system.

but the colder the air, which the temp sensor should pick up, also adding more fuel to compensate for the denser/coler air?

it would seem to me that with either better flow or with cooler intake temps the engine would see more fuel at a given throtle position?

so you will either get a gain in power at that throtle position, or you will need less throtle to net the same power from the engine.

i am no scientist or expert (or english major) but that is just the way i see it, i may be wrong, but just maybe something to think about.

edit: i thought i was posibly clarifying something, but after posting, i am not sure if my original intent was reached...sorry if i confuse anyone
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:42 AM   #28
Katana

Ιn order to be sure about, I just measured my fuel consumption and it was pretty much the same.

I am telling you guys, the only difference you will see, will only take place if you stop driving economically, because of the perfect sound tha CAI makes.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:33 PM   #29
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
the more oxygen/air the MAF senser sees the more fuel the computer would send to the engine to maintain the proper ratio.

but at a similar air flow the engine will see the same amount of fuel with or without a cold air system.

but the colder the air, which the temp sensor should pick up, also adding more fuel to compensate for the denser/coler air?

it would seem to me that with either better flow or with cooler intake temps the engine would see more fuel at a given throtle position?

so you will either get a gain in power at that throtle position, or you will need less throtle to net the same power from the engine.

i am no scientist or expert (or english major) but that is just the way i see it, i may be wrong, but just maybe something to think about.

edit: i thought i was posibly clarifying something, but after posting, i am not sure if my original intent was reached...sorry if i confuse anyone
The more oxygen present in the cylinder, the less fuel it would take to start an ignition... since oxygen feeds fires by default a spark applied to a smaller amount of fuel with more oxygen in the cylinder should result in a strong enough ignition to complete the cycle. The MAF sensor would mitigate this and the result would be improved mileage.

Know that most people will tell you a CAI is SUPPOSED to improve mileage. The difference may be negligable on a 1.5 L 4 banger, but as your engine gets larger the difference should become more noticable.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:18 PM   #30
Katana

Well said mate.

I have to say that in case anyone needs to make a CAI I am here to provide him with any useful information on it, like measurements, AFM(MAF) install etc.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #31
ChinoCharles
Banned

I don't know... the TRD option in America looks nice because it has that built in valve to stop water intake, which frees you up to place the cone where you will see the biggest gains. You don't see that on the AEM intake that was just released, and the TRD is only 30 or 40 bucks more if you order it from trdsparks... some food for thought.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #32
Katana

Yeah right.

But I think that the place, from where the TRD CAI takes on fresh air is not the best choice.

How much does it cost?

I paid 170 euros for the custom CAI.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:07 PM   #33
ChinoCharles
Banned

Thats about 215 bucks... more than a hundred dollars cheaper than the TRD option here, but we all know that money spends a lot different depending on where you are. Who knows what the hell any of this means, haha.

I'm not crazy about where the cone on the TRD option sits either, but I've got some plans to free up some air... possibly cut a hole in the front bumper and throw a gromit and some mesh in there. Functional ram air sans lame-ass hood scoop.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:42 PM   #34
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Here is the TRD CAI installed on my 1.5L you can see the bypass valve clearly, I have noticed a hugh difference in HP (5 or so) and about 6-7 MPG increase.... all for $350.00 USD installed, only reason I had it installed was to keep my warranty on everything.
Black Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:24 AM   #35
Katana

I don't care about warranty cause every time I go for a service I just replace the old air filter box.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:25 AM   #36
Katana

Quote:
but I've got some plans to free up some air... possibly cut a hole in the front bumper and throw a gromit and some mesh in there. Functional ram air sans lame-ass hood scoop.

Probably the best solution.