Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #19
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZZ View Post
The stock belt it garbage & should be replaced on all Yarii
Almost 100,000 km/60,000 miles on mine. No issues.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #20
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
I want to change my belt too. My engine is noisy, and I have a sweaking sound coming from it under strain, or just driving once the car is hot. Its mostly annoying it hear it when pulling up to a drive through, I usualy leave the car in neutral now its that bad.

I guess its the belt causing it? My toyota wants $100 +tax just to hear the issue, no more doing stuff for free. Screw them, charing for every single thing they can, even when Im covered under warranty.
Ya it is the belt. Happens to me ALL THE TIME. All the bumps on the road must jar it loose or whatever. Sometimes putting it in neutral works, but once it gets bad, that won't even help lol
Old 10-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #21
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
What kind of belt are you buying that it happens all the time? Got to stay away from that kind then?????

Someone please let me know where to go to buy a belt, sincethe stealership wants $50+tax or so.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #22
Lafiro

Also, not to bother much, but my engine is shaking and vibrating more then usuall? In the last month especially the sqeaking plus the extra vibration/shaking/noise has become worse.

Is this ALL because of my belt?

I drive in the city a lot, highway a lot, with traffic usually. Winters suck lots of salt. And the belt looks brown. Other then that, I take care of the car as much as I can.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #23
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I have not used one but most people say the GoodYear "Gatorback belts" are very good, much better than OEM. They say it will cure all squeaking/squealing for good.

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=3128

Last edited by RedRide; 10-04-2009 at 09:47 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #24
Lafiro

Edit. The sqeaking is still there. This did not fix anything. And now there is slipping when turning on the car. Ugh

Last edited by Lafiro; 10-07-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #25
devinlamothe

Quote:
What kind of belt are you buying that it happens all the time? Got to stay away from that kind then?????

Someone please let me know where to go to buy a belt, sincethe stealership wants $50+tax or so.
I got mine from the dealer. I think the dealer belts are crap. Maybe I will try the Goodyear one's.

Anyone know which Goodyear part is for the Yaris?

[Edit] I think 4040465 is the Yaris part # for 2007 - 2009.

Last edited by devinlamothe; 10-07-2009 at 05:40 PM.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #26
Lafiro

I set the alt. back to where it was, and today I turn on the car and I hear the worst sound ever, the sound I hear from OLD belts on buses, thats how loud it was.

Is this because it stretched a bit, and needs to be further tensioned?

This really sucks. And the nouse is still there, almost like its something to do with the streering?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #27
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
I set the alt. back to where it was, and today I turn on the car and I hear the worst sound ever, the sound I hear from OLD belts on buses, thats how loud it was.

Is this because it stretched a bit, and needs to be further tensioned?

This really sucks. And the nouse is still there, almost like its something to do with the streering?
When you steer at low speed the power steering motor draws a lot of current, so there is more demand on the alt.

You need to tension the belt, not just position the alt where it was.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #28
Lafiro

I will do that in the morning. Thanks.

But no one has been able to help me solve a year old problem thats getting worse.

Maybe it is the belt? At lower rpm's and with the car in drive, I hear sqeaking. Especially worse when I put the car in reverse going into my driveway, or pulling into a drive through. It applifies with the steering wheel being turned, but like I said only with the car in drive or reverse, once the car is warmed up/just coming to a stop after running for a bit.

Toyota can't "duplicate" the sound, I just say they are lazy, and no one here has had this issue supposedly, so I am out in the cold :(

I really hope tensioning the belt tomorrow really helps with this, and that it isnt something worse, because I couldn't understand what else could be sqeaking like that in the car(engine bay).

The attached files are pretty much what it does, you can tell when I switch from neutral to a gear, the engine gets louder, and you can hear that annoying noise.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Noises.zip (123.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-08-2009, 02:26 AM   #29
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
The zip file seems to be corrupted.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #30
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:

But no one has been able to help me solve a year old problem thats getting worse.

Maybe it is the belt? At lower rpm's and with the car in drive, I hear sqeaking. Especially worse when I put the car in reverse going into my driveway, or pulling into a drive through. It applifies with the steering wheel being turned, but like I said only with the car in drive or reverse, once the car is warmed up/just coming to a stop after running for a bit.

Toyota can't "duplicate" the sound, I just say they are lazy, and no one here has had this issue supposedly, so I am out in the cold :(

I really hope tensioning the belt tomorrow really helps with this, and that it isnt something worse, because I couldn't understand what else could be sqeaking like that in the car(engine bay).

The attached files are pretty much what it does, you can tell when I switch from neutral to a gear, the engine gets louder, and you can hear that annoying noise.

They really sound like belt squeal to me.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #31
devinlamothe

Quote:

Lafiro this is EXACTLY the same issue that has been happening to me as well. The dealership said the same, they 'can't duplicate' the issue. Buggers. I've tried tensioning the belt a few times but the noise seems to come back after a few weeks (maybe it just keeps coming loose? No idea).

Anyways, I've learned to live with it, but I am going to try the Goodyear belt to see if that fixes it. I found a place nearby that sells them for $19.99 so I will pick one up maybe tonight and see.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #32
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
Lafiro this is EXACTLY the same issue that has been happening to me as well. The dealership said the same, they 'can't duplicate' the issue. Buggers. I've tried tensioning the belt a few times but the noise seems to come back after a few weeks (maybe it just keeps coming loose? No idea).

Anyways, I've learned to live with it, but I am going to try the Goodyear belt to see if that fixes it. I found a place nearby that sells them for $19.99 so I will pick one up maybe tonight and see.
In the TSB's there was one for 07's which updated the tension spec for the belt:

"Some 2007 model year Yaris vehicles may exhibit a squealing noise coming from the engine compartment during vehicle operation. The generator drive belt tension specification has been updated to correct this condition. Please use the following repair procedure to address customer concerns"

From the TSB:

Name:  Belt Tension.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  74.7 KB
Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #33
Lafiro

Oh, nice, .41 to .45in of deflection with 22pounds of force, OK, I will attempt to get this corrected soon then.

Also, I can't upload music files, so if anyone wants to hear a few seconds of it, just PM me your email.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #34
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
How do you judge how much force you are actually pushing on something with your finger?

I guess maybe you could hook a fish scale in there, and use that as a gauge.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #35
Lafiro

You are not suppose to lol.

I don't know, but atleast I retensioned it a bit more. It flexes a bit with some force, and it seems fine.

Car is quiet, for now.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #36
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
u guys are fast....i just got my belt today heh(busy), from pepboys for 11 bucks....it's DayCo brand.........anyone have experience with them? it's made in Canada.................is that better heh.

dang....where can i find a pipe.....
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote