Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2010, 12:06 AM   #19
SpoCom2nr

Drives: Mercury Cougar
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
do yourself a favour, get a yaris..... no regrets for me.

;)
=). All of you are great! I'm finding all your post very helpful!
SpoCom2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:10 AM   #20
SpoCom2nr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
1. Before my purchase, I made fun of my coworker so much driving one..hated the look of it, I called it the rebirth of a shitty Tercel/Echo...the automatic tranny looked like a twig stuck to the car's interior, etc...

I needed to save money on gas, so i bought it. I dislike the sensitive clutch, to this day. But the look of the car has grown on me. It's a very unique design not seen elsewhere and turns a lot of heads. I love it for taking me great distances. I love how it starts up w/o a fuss, gives me assurance i can make that tight turn through a corner even if i wasn't fully capable of doing. I like how the car manages to get past little areas and giving the driver second thoughts as to..will i fit or not~ The seats are comfy..my ex loved the ride and how quiet it is considering how much plastic is used inside it~
I use my car to commute to college/s, to work, go snowboarding with my friends in the winter and go to the beach w/ it. I have fit, myself and a passenger plus 6 snowboards in my hatchback no problem...
Last dislike on this car...cheap paint. Get the paint repainted because the front gets chipped pretty damn easily.

2. I think its a great car to buy because one, not too many people own one on the road vs a Civic or Prius. It's a car that fools one's eye...small on the outside, but damn roomy in the inside. This car is a great A to point B car for commuters, college students, and eco-huggers. If you are into heavy or light modding or..simply want a car w/ A LOT of potential and secrets behind every compartment....? This is the car to get.. you will hate this car for it's low power and plastics , but the love grows for this car over the coming months. I whined about the car being small, but found great usage after 5-6 months down the road ;)

3. YarisWorld.com/forums or for modding enthusiasts microimageonline.com/forums

I fi had to do it all over again? I'd get a 2010 5-door Liftback model, an imported RS version from Canada...or look into importing the Vitz RS from Japan...
I've always loved the Vitz. =) Well... Not always, but you get the point. =)
Old 02-24-2010, 03:12 AM   #21
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
1. I love how reliable and fuel efficient it is, and how much utility the 3dr hatchback offers. I also like that it looks unique and that it just doesn't seem to know that it's a b-segment econobox. It is also handy that almost every component in the vehicle is common and tried and true, inherited from its older cousins like the Corolla, Prius and MR2. I lead an active lifestyle and have found that the hatch interior fits skis and snowboards with ease, and the addition of a hitch and bicycle rack allows for carrying mountain bikes and more snowboards and skis.

2. Where else can you get this much engineering, technology, efficiency and style for such a low price? Go used to get an even better deal. As you said, every penny counts, and this isn't just true for college students but for us all. Even Warren Buffet still picks up pennies on the sidewalk.

3. Despite suffering from an absentee landlord with questionable technical skills and practices, this forum is still the best resource for the Yaris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
Size, power, and status are a few of the reasons why they would get a different brand.
I understand what you're saying, and I know that you're not necessarily speaking about yourself, but all 3 things you mentioned just make me chuckle.

Size is something that is rather silly. A smaller car is more agile and brakes more quickly, and the LB offers so much cargo space that I have this sticker on my back windshield: "2/5 scale SUV"

Power is something I've spoken about before. To quote myself: "Folks now seem to believe that it takes 300whp to get groceries, or 400whp to pick up the kids from soccer practice. Power requirements have become so skewed as to be virtually meaningless nowadays."

Status is the one that I find outright comical. I am not my car. Neither are you. My car is a tool of transportation, not a rolling trophy. We have many owners here on YW that make 6 digits a year and I know a cleaning lady that drives a Lexus. My wife works for a multimillionaire that has a collection of a dozen special vehicles, some as expensive as hundreds of thousands of dollars, but his daily driver is a $40k crappy American build that drives like shit and looks like nothing.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:10 AM   #22
lowsushi
Akiba Otaku

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5dr
Send a message via AIM to lowsushi Send a message via Yahoo to lowsushi
Speaking of "status" I have had friends laugh at my Yaris before they got in it. I am 6'1" 225 lbs. I took 3 friends, 1 heaver then myself and the other 2 a bit less to a party. They were amazed theat we all had room with no-one having to give up leg room and that the car still got to 100 mph rather quickly ( just had to show them it had power). Now everyone likes the car after they got to see it in a new light.

I have a lifted 1972 Ford Bronco, 1997 Suzuki Katana, and now my 2010 Yaris. I think I have a pretty complete stable of vehicles. I couldn't really think of any other car I would want.

PS3 Trophies
lowsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #23
SpoCom2nr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
1. I love how reliable and fuel efficient it is, and how much utility the 3dr hatchback offers. I also like that it looks unique and that it just doesn't seem to know that it's a b-segment econobox. It is also handy that almost every component in the vehicle is common and tried and true, inherited from its older cousins like the Corolla, Prius and MR2. I lead an active lifestyle and have found that the hatch interior fits skis and snowboards with ease, and the addition of a hitch and bicycle rack allows for carrying mountain bikes and more snowboards and skis.

2. Where else can you get this much engineering, technology, efficiency and style for such a low price? Go used to get an even better deal. As you said, every penny counts, and this isn't just true for college students but for us all. Even Warren Buffet still picks up pennies on the sidewalk.

3. Despite suffering from an absentee landlord with questionable technical skills and practices, this forum is still the best resource for the Yaris.

I understand what you're saying, and I know that you're not necessarily speaking about yourself, but all 3 things you mentioned just make me chuckle.

Size is something that is rather silly. A smaller car is more agile and brakes more quickly, and the LB offers so much cargo space that I have this sticker on my back windshield: "2/5 scale SUV"

Power is something I've spoken about before. To quote myself: "Folks now seem to believe that it takes 300whp to get groceries, or 400whp to pick up the kids from soccer practice. Power requirements have become so skewed as to be virtually meaningless nowadays."

Status is the one that I find outright comical. I am not my car. Neither are you. My car is a tool of transportation, not a rolling trophy. We have many owners here on YW that make 6 digits a year and I know a cleaning lady that drives a Lexus. My wife works for a multimillionaire that has a collection of a dozen special vehicles, some as expensive as hundreds of thousands of dollars, but his daily driver is a $40k crappy American build that drives like shit and looks like nothing.
One of the reasons the Yaris interested me was because of the room. It's also small and while it isn't a racing machine, it can be navigated easily and efficiently.

I really don't care too much about status as I do investment. The Yaris seems like a great investment from a company you can truly trust, though they are getting a bad name at the current time. Still, there is no car company I'd trust more than Toyota after learning about their history an commitment to the customer. And to own a vehicle which holds it's value well and is well built like the Yaris, would be great for me. =)
Old 02-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #24
SpoCom2nr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsushi View Post
Speaking of "status" I have had friends laugh at my Yaris before they got in it. I am 6'1" 225 lbs. I took 3 friends, 1 heaver then myself and the other 2 a bit less to a party. They were amazed theat we all had room with no-one having to give up leg room and that the car still got to 100 mph rather quickly ( just had to show them it had power). Now everyone likes the car after they got to see it in a new light.

I have a lifted 1972 Ford Bronco, 1997 Suzuki Katana, and now my 2010 Yaris. I think I have a pretty complete stable of vehicles. I couldn't really think of any other car I would want.
I think anyone who buys a Toyota could easily feel a sense of elevated status, even if it is a Yaris. I know it sounds funny, but think about it. The only two line-ups that are better than Toyota are Scion and Honda. Scion is in first, and Toyota makes them. Honda is after Scion and only a tiny bit ahead of Toyota.

Everyone wants a reliable car... Toyota happens to be one of those brands. To own would make me feel "special". =)
Old 02-26-2010, 04:39 AM   #25
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
I have had mine for 3 years, no regrets.I love it more than when it was brand new.
I think if you're single with no family ( kids etc) then the Yaris is a good daily driver.The fit is most suited for one with family-kids etc.But a yaris, swift or mazda 2 are all great in their own right.I chose the Yaris cause it was the "it" of year 2007 it was all the rage.I love the room and clever designs at the time.Now it seems the fit and mazda 2 are getting all the love.But that doesn't mean the Yaris is not a good ride, coz it is, infact it might have better mpg.What I don't like? not much not to like.maybe the freeway noise that's it.But overall i recommend it.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #26
SpoCom2nr

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
I have had mine for 3 years, no regrets.I love it more than when it was brand new.
I think if you're single with no family ( kids etc) then the Yaris is a good daily driver.The fit is most suited for one with family-kids etc.But a yaris, swift or mazda 2 are all great in their own right.I chose the Yaris cause it was the "it" of year 2007 it was all the rage.I love the room and clever designs at the time.Now it seems the fit and mazda 2 are getting all the love.But that doesn't mean the Yaris is not a good ride, coz it is, infact it might have better mpg.What I don't like? not much not to like.maybe the freeway noise that's it.But overall i recommend it.
Yes. I certainly agree. Someone mentioned the Mazda2 earlier and I did some very brief research; I can see why there is a lot of talk about it.

Going back to why I'm here, I still deeply admire the Yaris. But I am giving the Mazda2 some consideration, which is why I will make a choice when the 2 comes out. I believe the car I have now should last me until then (which would be like spring or summer?)

So my choice ultimately will come down between the Yaris and the 2. Like you said, and I certainly agree, the fit is like for a larger family. While Honda has a good reputation for great products, the reason I'm cutting it out of my choices is because of the "it" factor. I don't see it really "fitting" me.

I'm certaintly not going to look at the Chevy Aveo. While the new ones do look nice, I swore to myself I would never (or at least for a very long time), never purchase an American car again. And I've seen some negative reviews.

Haven't heard much about the Swift, which is why I plan to stay away from that.

I think freeway noise has been a big problem for all these small cars, so it doesn't really turn me off.

You have made some really great points. =)
Old 02-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #27
hatchblack

Drives: '08 yaris hatch
First of all, I have to say, the Yaris is a great car that does a lot of things well. For it's size, there is a roomy feel about it. It has numerous compartments for storage. The engine is relatively peppy. My Yaris ('08 LB) has handled everything I've thrown at it. It has gone on several trips between states, 7 hrs being the longest trip. It's great on gas (I've seen 40 mpg before) and it has been uber reliable. It is currently enjoying the snow outside. I haven't had to carry many large things, but it does have the capability. Even though it is normally just my g/f and I, some of my larger friends have fit in with room to spare. I have added a few things to mine to better suit me, but stock from the factory was nice to begin with. The only downside I have noticed, is the aforementioned problem with high winds. I love my car, and I have since day one. I would pick up another one if I had the need for a new car, maybe the 5 door hatch or the sedan, just for a change.

As far as wanting to know more, you came to the right place. YW, as well as the forums over on microimageonline.com, have provided me with tons of knowledge. Definitely provided a place to start.

Anything else you want to know, all you have to do is ask.
hatchblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #28
SpoCom2nr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchblack View Post
First of all, I have to say, the Yaris is a great car that does a lot of things well. For it's size, there is a roomy feel about it. It has numerous compartments for storage. The engine is relatively peppy. My Yaris ('08 LB) has handled everything I've thrown at it. It has gone on several trips between states, 7 hrs being the longest trip. It's great on gas (I've seen 40 mpg before) and it has been uber reliable. It is currently enjoying the snow outside. I haven't had to carry many large things, but it does have the capability. Even though it is normally just my g/f and I, some of my larger friends have fit in with room to spare. I have added a few things to mine to better suit me, but stock from the factory was nice to begin with. The only downside I have noticed, is the aforementioned problem with high winds. I love my car, and I have since day one. I would pick up another one if I had the need for a new car, maybe the 5 door hatch or the sedan, just for a change.

As far as wanting to know more, you came to the right place. YW, as well as the forums over on microimageonline.com, have provided me with tons of knowledge. Definitely provided a place to start.

Anything else you want to know, all you have to do is ask.
Cool! Thank you!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:16 AM   #29
Jahbs

Drives: 2009 Yaris YR
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
The best question to ask is if a current Yaris owner would buy another one. I would and many of us would, however, there are some that wouldn't. Size, power, and status are a few of the reasons why they would get a different brand.
if i was to rebuy i would def go for the 1.5 haha but for the price i got mine at im not complaining and im happy with it. tho after driving s2000's and skylines etc the yaris does feel a little slow but im always reminded that i can get the same km's in half a tank then those cars get in a full tank
Jahbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #30
ChilliwackGuy
WCOAST CANADIAN DRIVER!!!

Drives: 2010 Hatch 5DR - AUTO/AC
I bought my 2010 Yaris strictly for a 200KM day commute, 6 days a week - I've budgeted for all the scheduled maintenance and fuel costs - so I bought my Yaris strictly for reliability / affordability / and cuz it will suffer lower depreciation than other cars in its class - I would buy another Yaris in a pinch if my current one was wrecked

heck - I have a 6 year old daughter and I'v eeven told her she can have it in 10 years! (naturally she said no thanks! cuz who wants Dad's old car - but it will be there fo rher if she changes her mind)

I hear ya about being a Uni student - back when I did my undergrad I bought a 97 Geo Metro Sedan - and I gotta say the Yaris is WAY better!
ChilliwackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #31
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

Drives: 2009 multimode hatchback 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoCom2nr View Post
Dear Yaris owners and enthusiast,

1) Your opinion on your car (i.e. The good, the bad. What you like about it. How does it fit into your lifestyle? What do you do with it? Do you go on long trips? Everything you can tell me.)

the good: cute little car,with great fuel consumption (I'm doing 18km per liter). it's also not very common and thus it's very unique: in my country (Israel) you don't see the 2007 and above Yaris on the roads so much because people like automatic transmissions and dislike the MMT and manual gear boxes..
cheap maintenance on the dealerships is also a good factor-I'm a student and can't afford myself pricey car. plus,the fuel here is very expensive and I needed a good reliable car.

it's reliability is amazing-for example,people here stick to older yaris models (1998-2007) like gold and it's always sold above it's used market price here.
one more thing-it's fun to drive,looks and feels good on the road and can get anywhere here and enter almost any parking place pretty quickly,leaving all the other car owners look for a larger spot

i rejected mazda 2 because it purely automatic.ford fiesta was rejected because of the price.citroen c3 was rejected because it's french ;-) no,seriously-french car get broken often because of the israeli heat-they are sensitive to it.plus,it's maintenance is expensive for me as a student.

I usually use it drive to my girlfriend's house (15 km trip) and sometimes go shopping for groceries on the local supermarket.plenty of bags go inside it's trunk..
also,i used it to go to my parent's house on weekends (50 km trip,back and forth).now i have a mazda3 from work for 2 weeks in a month so it's less mileage for my yaris

i'd love to use it for long trips but the fuel is expensive for me,and i want less "work load" on it since i'd like it to last

the bad:only a small trunk (depends for what you use it-supermarket shopping is good,transferring your apartment is bad..).

2) Why you think it's a great car to buy. This can go with number 1 as well. I'm already hooked. But I want you to pretend that you have to convince me to buy it, if you understand what I'm saying.

look above

3) Where is a good place to access more information about the Yaris besides the dealership?

here on YW.the best information you can get. look in car forums world wide (Google translate is your friend.. )

good luck!

Last edited by matanfr; 06-29-2010 at 06:35 AM.
matanfr is offline   Reply With Quote