Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #19
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
I have an `08 Yaris 3dr Hatch and I went with the Platinum extended warranty.
I have been a mechanic for over 20 years, and I do ALL my own work.
The problem is, the PARTS cost money.

I live in a very hot climate in the summer months, and air-conditioning systems take a big hit out here.
If my A/C were to go out, the parts alone would be more than the price of the warranty. So for some peace of mind, I went for it.
Normally, I would not get the extended warranty.

I will have 3 years of warranty left, after the car is paid off.
I can live with that!

I don't forsee any problems, the Yaris is a great little car.
It's just one less thing to worry about in life, if something ever does happen.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #20
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
now that is a reasonable price for the warranties. Never forget that absolutely everything is negotiable. people don't seem to know that. Every single thing a dealership will offer you they will negotiate for.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #21
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
To me the money seems a waste. Theres not much to go wrong. And if anything did go wrong i dont see it exceeding 1200 dollars. So that money would be better sitting in a bank accumilating interested and if something did go wrong out of warrenty then you have it there for any of the needed repairs.

There are so many loopholes when it comes to warrenty claims too. I hear so many people say well what did i buy warrenty for if this or this is not covered when it comes down to the time when you actually need it.
When I got my Platinum warranty with my `08 Yaris, I got paperwork in writing saying everything the warranty covered. And it was a comprehensive list.

The parts alone for the A/C system would be over $1,200.

The COMPUTER for the Yaris is mounted in the engine compartment.
If it ever died, ( living in that HOT environment ), I'll bet a new computer would be close to the warranty amount as well.

Most of the main powertrain will live a long time, Toyota is known for that.
But you could lose an electric fuel pump, the computer, A/C compressor could lock up, ABS could start throwing codes, Alternator could die, the ELECTRIC assist power steering might have a problem, you just never know.

You buy the extended warranty for peace-of-mind.

On a "previously-owned" vehicle, I would DEFINITELY look seriously at an extended warranty.
You never know how someone else might have treated that vehicle.
People TEAR STUFF UP just by their own stupid habits.

I have been treating my Yaris like a fragile little egg.
I want it to outlive ME.

My Yaris is a 2008, and I only have 3,500 miles on it.
It's like it was the day I drove it home from the dealership in San Diego.
( Except it has a way better stereo in it now! )

Old 07-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #22
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
An 08 with 3500 miles?

Dude, it is a Yaris, not a Ferrari;)
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #23
flintmica
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Just opted out of extended warranty

Hey all!

I'm new to the site and just bought a used 2009 Yaris Sedan w/46,000 miles on it for 11,000. It's my first Toyota ever, which I'm pretty excited about, especially after owning a Chrysler Cirrus (a money-guzzling crap car) for the past 7 years. After much internal debate and reading this thread, I opted out of the dealership's "wrap around" extended warranty package, which would have cost me an additional $1550 and would've only lasted 4 1/2 years from the previous owner's original purchase date or 100,000 miles on the odometer. The car still has 12,000 miles to go before the original factory power train warranty is up, so hopefully any major problems will arise before then.
Hope I made the right decision, since although the vehicle had a clean car fax record, and my mechanic friend said the engine looked great, it's impossible to know which repairs have been done in the past, since the only previous owner was a rental car company, who probably has it's own mechanic on site!
flintmica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #24
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
ive had my car for just over 4 years and 80000km

i havent had anything major go wrong....certainly not enough to warrant an extended warranty.

and as you can tell by my sig, i DRIVE my car
Old 10-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #25
krolos

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintmica View Post
Hey all!

I'm new to the site and just bought a used 2009 Yaris Sedan w/46,000 miles on it for 11,000. It's my first Toyota ever, which I'm pretty excited about, especially after owning a Chrysler Cirrus (a money-guzzling crap car) for the past 7 years. After much internal debate and reading this thread, I opted out of the dealership's "wrap around" extended warranty package, which would have cost me an additional $1550 and would've only lasted 4 1/2 years from the previous owner's original purchase date or 100,000 miles on the odometer. The car still has 12,000 miles to go before the original factory power train warranty is up, so hopefully any major problems will arise before then.
Hope I made the right decision, since although the vehicle had a clean car fax record, and my mechanic friend said the engine looked great, it's impossible to know which repairs have been done in the past, since the only previous owner was a rental car company, who probably has it's own mechanic on site!
few more grand you could had a brand new Yari and less worries
krolos is offline   Reply With Quote