Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-13-2010, 01:58 AM   #19
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
wow....there is no way i'm coming back to america now, after reading that.....lol

in all honesty, it happens on every car. i usually grip it real tight on gloomy days with a slight breeze..
And i park away from other cars usually~
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #20
Lorenzo1950

Drives: 2010 5 door Hatchback
Why can't the Yaris have sliding doors like a van?
Lorenzo1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #21
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo1950 View Post
Why can't the Yaris have sliding doors like a van?
They do. Doesn't Garm make a slider door kit??

Or does he offer a door dampner?? Like a steering dampner.
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #22
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Buy the 4door, those doors are TINY!
Good luck...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #23
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
The design of these doors is such that when you pull the little door handle and the door opens a bit, if there is a wind blowing from the back of the vehicle, the wind catches the door so fast before you can grab the door handle and whips it open, and smashes any vehicle unfortunate enough to be next to the door.
Okay... so you're saying you are holding it by the little dinky door lever you pull on to open the door? No wonder it's flying open.

Maybe someone should make a YouTube DIY on how to open a car door..
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:01 AM   #24
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
Quote:
We own a 2010 Yaris two door. These doors are very long and care must be taken to open the door in a parking lot to avoid dinging other people's cars.
The design of these doors is such that when you pull the little door handle and the door opens a bit, if there is a wind blowing from the back of the vehicle, the wind catches the door so fast before you can grab the door handle and whips it open, and smashes any vehicle unfortunate enough to be next to the door.
The handle grab is too far up on the door to allow a regular person to grab the door with enough force to stop the opening. This is horrible.
Several times the wind has grabbed our doors and flung them open, despite our efforts to stop this.
Yesterday, the driver door smashed into someone's vehicle, we left a note with our info, and called insurance, who will pay for the dent in that person's car. The same time, our Yaris passenger door opened and was flung out by the wind, and had there been a vehicle there, that would have also banged into a car. So both doors flew open at the same time. Horrors!
We think this is a terrible design flaw and if anyone agrees, let us know.
Today, we are going to Toyota to trade in this car, we do not want to be having doors fling open and causing damage to other people's vehicles.
It is bad enough that people ding other people's cars by being inconsiderate, we are not inconsiderate, and cannot keep the wind from blowing open the door without warning. Happens really fast. Anyone else have this problem?
We love the Yaris, but are thinking to get a four door, the door are shorter, and if they blow open won't reach another vehicle. Comments? Help?

my uncle's hammer did the same thing

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:29 AM   #25
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Park into the WIND.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #26
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33OH View Post
Okay... so you're saying you are holding it by the little dinky door lever you pull on to open the door? No wonder it's flying open.

Maybe someone should make a YouTube DIY on how to open a car door..
This comes to mind: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16646

I have a heavy door, 2dr, but with all the sound deadening material, its just heavy. Tho i did scrape my door once parked downhill, and gravity amplified the doors weight.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #27
shinlee

Drives: 07 liftback
hahahaha, awesome... either you're really fat and can't use your right arm to hold the door while you open it with your left, or you're 95 years old and lack the strength to hold the door anyways even if you can reach the door with your right arm....

opening doors should be the like the 3rd step they teach in drivers ed, right after reaching into the pocket to pull the keys out, and unlocking the car door...
Old 08-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #28
500snakz

Drives: 08 Polar white hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
You must have missed the section in the owner's manual about exiting through the rear hatch in windy conditions.
500snakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #29
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
When I open the door I hold the handle and quickly move to hold the frame of the door. Some parking spots are tight and a small gust of wind allows your door to bang into the car next to you. Since I have a two door and carry a backpack on my commute holding the door with one hand and grabbing my bag with the other is a habit of mine.

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #30
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
way wrong thread

Last edited by regal; 02-06-2014 at 10:25 PM.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #31
Type456

Drives: Like the Yaris
Quote:
We own a 2010 Yaris two door. These doors are very long and care must be taken to open the door in a parking lot to avoid dinging other people's cars.
The handle grab is too far up on the door to allow a regular person to grab the door with enough force to stop the opening. This is horrible.
Several times the wind has grabbed our doors and flung them open, despite our efforts to stop this.
Yesterday, the driver door smashed into someone's vehicle, we left a note with our info, and called insurance, who will pay for the dent in that person's car. The same time, our Yaris passenger door opened and was flung out by the wind, and had there been a vehicle there, that would have also banged into a car. So both doors flew open at the same time. Horrors!
We think this is a terrible design flaw and if anyone agrees, let us know.
Today, we are going to Toyota to trade in this car, we do not want to be having doors fling open and causing damage to other people's vehicles.
It is bad enough that people ding other people's cars by being inconsiderate, we are not inconsiderate, and cannot keep the wind from blowing open the door without warning. Happens really fast. Anyone else have this problem?
We love the Yaris, but are thinking to get a four door, the door are shorter, and if they blow open won't reach another vehicle. Comments? Help?
I'm new to the forum, but I'm sorry, this was the stupidest post I've ever read on any forum, on any interest.
Type456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #32
Type456

Drives: Like the Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
way wrong thread
I just realized I'm replying to a 4 year old thread.

Way wrong revival.
Type456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:36 PM   #33
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
How did I miss this thread the first time around... that's for reviving it, gave me a good chuckle!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #34
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type456 View Post
I just realized I'm replying to a 4 year old thread.

Way wrong revival.

I needed this 4 year old post

1) I've notified Toyota in regards to this design flaw
2) Yes, PARK in the opposite direction of the wind
3) If you can't handle a Yaris door, NEVER buy a 1970-
1981 Camaro or Firebird
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #35
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
the 4 doors is a better choice IMO, because the doors are indeed smaller and having 4 door make it much easier to get to shove groceries and stuff in the back of the car.
Still true re the 2014 models I assume?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #36
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type456 View Post
I'm new to the forum, but I'm sorry, this was the stupidest post I've ever read on any forum, on any interest.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote