Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #19
etherdude

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE 5-speed
Thanks for the offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You should take a ride down to CT with it next weekend, so we can all get a closer look at a 2012. If you don't have cruise control, but want it, we can do the install:
CTScott, Thanks for the offer. Unfortunatly, I have to play a concert out in Lenox this coming weekend. It does already have cruise control. Standard feature on 2012 LE and SE. When I get closer to a decision on a short ram intake (K&N?), tailpipe, and sway bar, I will probably want some help.

Doug
etherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #20
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr9865 View Post
whats the proportion on the forum?
Most of that 1.5% are here!

Hey, you know that might make an interesting poll.
Does anyone here know how to create one?
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #21
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
posted a poll
Old 05-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #22
tooter
play every day

Thanks, man.
Can you tell me how you did it?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #23
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherdude View Post
They are hard to come by, but I was able to get a silver 2012 Yaris SE 5 speed here in New England through Acton Toyota, Littleton, MA. Accessories included floormats, rear bumper applique, and body side mouldings. I wanted a center console but none are to be had here in US. Mudflaps don't fit the SE bumper either.

This car reminds me a great deal of my 1984 VW Rabbit GTI (also silver) or my 1997 Golf Trek. Small, zippy (but still slow), handles and stops well, and is generally fun to drive. The seats are very similar to vintage VW sport seats (same adjustments and fit). Also, with cruise control, power windows/locks, remote lock (but not keyless), built-in dashboard information display, and a very good bluetooth implementation in the radio, it has only the features I wanted and none that I didn't.

Really want a center console/arm rest, though!

Doug
Have you sat in a 2007-2011 Yaris LB, and if so is the driver's seat lower to the ground? Or do you feel lower to the ground in your 2012 Yaris? I have driven the roads from Canyon, CA up through the hills to the Oakland city limit. These roads are among the curviest you can possibly imagine. I have driven these roads in many different cars and the only one where I feel slightly nauseous at the end is in my Yaris. I attribute this to feeling as though I'm sitting higher than in any of my previous cars. I'm wondering out loud if I would sit lower in a 2012 and if so could I recreate that height in a 2007 Yaris hatch by replacing the driver's seat (it will soon need to have the bottom cushion replaced -- 310.00 at the dealer -- so I thought it might be better value wise to just replace the whole seat. One of my previous cars was a 1983 Rabbit GTI that I put 194,000 miles on, so I'm glad to know the 2012 feels like a Rabbit GTI. I had quite a few problems with my GTI but I loved driving it.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
.......of course what I'm feeling at the end of that drive out of Canyon, CA in my Yaris could also be attributed partially to the suspension, but it just feels as though the height of the seat is the issue I need to resolve. I've done some internet searches to help enlighten me re the quest to make this and potentially similar driving experiences more pleasurable but haven't found anything enlightening.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Congratulations Doug,

I was told by the dealer that only 1.5% of the 2012 Yaris' sold in the US have manual transmissions, so you were lucky to get one.

I'm waiting for 2012 mudgaurds and an armrest, too.
Wow, sad news in my book. I know people have many very valid reasons for buying an automatic, but I personally (for me with my tastes) cannot imagine buying this car with an automatic. I may give up my 2007 Yaris earlier than I want to if Toyota doesn't continue the manual transmission through their normal 5 year run of a specific chassis. If they cut it short, I'll buy the last year available (unless some car that has not yet come to market strikes my fancy). I bought my 2007 Yaris while on a trip and I searched the inventory of all of the dealers in the Northeastern US and only found 5 hatchbacks with a 5 speed manual and ranked them by how the equipment fit what I wanted. The car that ranked number one turned out to be still out on the delivery ship (even though it was listed in the dealers current inventory!), so I drove to the second dealership and was able to purchase my number two choice.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #26
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherdude View Post
CTScott, Thanks for the offer. Unfortunatly, I have to play a concert out in Lenox this coming weekend. It does already have cruise control. Standard feature on 2012 LE and SE. When I get closer to a decision on a short ram intake (K&N?), tailpipe, and sway bar, I will probably want some help.

Doug
intake,exhaust,swaybars.

You know you want to skip that concert. Thanks for the review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Have you sat in a 2007-2011 Yaris LB, and if so is the driver's seat lower to the ground? Or do you feel lower to the ground in your 2012 Yaris? I have driven the roads from Canyon, CA up through the hills to the Oakland city limit. These roads are among the curviest you can possibly imagine. I have driven these roads in many different cars and the only one where I feel slightly nauseous at the end is in my Yaris. I attribute this to feeling as though I'm sitting higher than in any of my previous cars. I'm wondering out loud if I would sit lower in a 2012 and if so could I recreate that height in a 2007 Yaris hatch by replacing the driver's seat (it will soon need to have the bottom cushion replaced -- 310.00 at the dealer -- so I thought it might be better value wise to just replace the whole seat. One of my previous cars was a 1983 Rabbit GTI that I put 194,000 miles on, so I'm glad to know the 2012 feels like a Rabbit GTI. I had quite a few problems with my GTI but I loved driving it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
.......of course what I'm feeling at the end of that drive out of Canyon, CA in my Yaris could also be attributed partially to the suspension, but it just feels as though the height of the seat is the issue I need to resolve. I've done some internet searches to help enlighten me re the quest to make this and potentially similar driving experiences more pleasurable but haven't found anything enlightening.
The Yaris as a car sits higher than most sedans suspension wise, and swapping the stock one for something better is always a good thing.

But you are also right in that the seat itself sits high in the passenger compartment. The spare tire jack sits below the driver seat. If you need a seat anyways you should go looking for a nice aftermarket one and find someone to do some custom rails to make it lower than the stock seat. There is at least an inch or two where the drivers seat is above the floor of the cabin, maybe more.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #27
etherdude

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE 5-speed
Seat height

On the 2012, the jack, etc. are in the boot under the false floor with the spare tire. The drivers seat is 6-way manually adjustable and lowers with a handle. It is quite comfortable for me at its lowest position. I don't feel "tippy" at all. I also find the seat/wheel/pedal relationship is almost ideal for me at that lowest position.

Doug

Last edited by etherdude; 05-23-2012 at 11:45 PM.
etherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #28
randydid

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE Five Door
When I bought my 2012 SE back in December, my dealer in Albuquerque had 5 SE's and only one was an auto. I should have bought a couple of extra SE's and sold them on Ebay for a profit. ;-) Seriously though, if you really want one and care to make a road trip, contact Sandra Dickson at American Toyota in Albuquerque. I am sure she can hook you up with one-I have bought three Toyotas from her and she can and will find anything you are looking for.
randydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:13 AM   #29
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
intake,exhaust,swaybars.

You know you want to skip that concert. Thanks for the review.

The Yaris as a car sits higher than most sedans suspension wise, and swapping the stock one for something better is always a good thing.

But you are also right in that the seat itself sits high in the passenger compartment. The spare tire jack sits below the driver seat. If you need a seat anyways you should go looking for a nice aftermarket one and find someone to do some custom rails to make it lower than the stock seat. There is at least an inch or two where the drivers seat is above the floor of the cabin, maybe more.
Why?, thanks for the seat and suspension info. My thought is to get the driver's seat replaced (and possibly a matching passenger seat as well) and then drive the roads I mentioned (near Canyon, CA) when I'm in California later this year and see if just replacing the seat/seats does the trick....if not then i might consider changing the suspension. If anyone in any metro area in the Texas Urban Triangle (DFW,Houston,Austin,San Antonio, Waco, etc -- as all are day trips from my house) has had front seats replaced re a scenario similar to what Why? described (and was happy with the work -- the factor hardest to reliably uncover) please post your positive result.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #30
muffin_top

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE 5MT
New to the forum..

I've had my Super White '12 Yaris SE 5MT for two weeks. So far so good! Traded in my '07 Prius 2 for the Yaris after getting bored with it.

At the time I was trying to buy, there were less than 20 SE with manual on the ground across the northern (non Gulf States / Southeast Toyota) states. Mine ended up getting trucked over from Route 44 Toyota in Raynham Mass. A manual transmission SE in any color is probably the rarest new Toyota there is!

I really wanted a code 788 teal, of which there were exactly zero unless I wanted a 100 day special order request.
muffin_top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #31
tooter
play every day

I'm happy for you, muffin.
It's so odd that manual transmission Yaris' are so rare here when there are 6 speeds in Europe. When I bought mine, there were only 3 in California. I had multiple concurrent searches running with 5 dealerships and they all came up with the same three cars.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #32
muffin_top

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I'm happy for you, muffin.
It's so odd that manual transmission Yaris' are so rare here when there are 6 speeds in Europe. When I bought mine, there were only 3 in California. I had multiple concurrent searches running with 5 dealerships and they all came up with the same three cars.
I work for a dealer and the sales manager, who is a good friend, told me to buy an FR-S. No chance. My '01 S2000 is twice the car bone stock. He forgets what's it's like to stuff two small children in the back of a sports coupe. It cost roughly $600 to have it shipped to me, but was worth the trouble. Great car for the $$.

We have a three door, 5 speed L model in the showroom. It's been there a minute as it seems no one is interested in stick shift anymore? While grossly underpowered to be really sporty, the manual makes the car so much more engaging to drive. I'm hoping my wheel choice doesn't furthur slow her up!

Oh well, it's just a work and errand cruiser.. No need for real speed!
Old 06-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #33
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin_top View Post
I work for a dealer and the sales manager, who is a good friend, told me to buy an FR-S. No chance. My '01 S2000 is twice the car bone stock. He forgets what's it's like to stuff two small children in the back of a sports coupe. It cost roughly $600 to have it shipped to me, but was worth the trouble. Great car for the $$.

We have a three door, 5 speed L model in the showroom. It's been there a minute as it seems no one is interested in stick shift anymore? While grossly underpowered to be really sporty, the manual makes the car so much more engaging to drive. I'm hoping my wheel choice doesn't furthur slow her up!

Oh well, it's just a work and errand cruiser.. No need for real speed!
I don't know how anyone could recommend a sports car for a family car. When I was young my family used my father's 1982 Toyota Supra as a family car for a while, and it just did not work even with two children under 5.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #34
muffin_top

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I don't know how anyone could recommend a sports car for a family car. When I was young my family used my father's 1982 Toyota Supra as a family car for a while, and it just did not work even with two children under 5.
Truth.

Our boys are 4 and 5.. The FR-S was not going to get it.

On a side note; We were able to figure out the OEM JDM side skirt part numbers for the NCP131 RS. They weren't cheap, but I had to have them... Should be here in a few weeks.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #35
Lady J

Drives: Efficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin_top View Post
Truth.

Our boys are 4 and 5.. The FR-S was not going to get it.

On a side note; We were able to figure out the OEM JDM side skirt part numbers for the NCP131 RS. They weren't cheap, but I had to have them... Should be here in a few weeks.
Have you gotton your sideskirts?any pictures?
Lady J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #36
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S

Proverbs 16:9
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote