Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #19
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ You think that vibration, transferred by a rubber belt, broke a water pump pulley?
No. I only know that solid undamped crank pulleys vibrate. What happens after that is anyone's guess.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #20
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I wanted to update that now my Yaris has a cracked NST water pump! I put mine on more than 90k miles ago and my car has been unused for the past 9 months. After a rough start and replacing a dead battery and what I thought was a bad thermostat I noticed that after a few hundred feet my water temps were so high I threw a CEL and my hot light came on. After hearing clacking I looked thinking of this thread and sure enough in one spot it's cracked! Not happy with NST and I KNOW FOR A FACT MINE WASN'T OVER-TORQUED because I've had it problem free for 90k miles!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #21
B2FiNiTY

Drives: Prius C
sounds like it simply wore out.

90k miles is pretty good usage for an aftermarket part if you ask me.
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #22
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I think their "hard anodizing" may have weakened the metal or made it brittle. It's pretty thin where is bolts to the motor.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:46 AM   #23
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
I wanted to update that now my Yaris has a cracked NST water pump! I put mine on more than 90k miles ago and my car has been unused for the past 9 months. After a rough start and replacing a dead battery and what I thought was a bad thermostat I noticed that after a few hundred feet my water temps were so high I threw a CEL and my hot light came on. After hearing clacking I looked thinking of this thread and sure enough in one spot it's cracked! Not happy with NST and I KNOW FOR A FACT MINE WASN'T OVER-TORQUED because I've had it problem free for 90k miles!
Are you running the stock crank pulley?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #24
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Sounds like they designed it too thin or didn't machine it right.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #25
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Are you running the stock crank pulley?
I'm running the full NST-lite pulley set problem free until yesterday. The wp pulley had a wear groove of about 1/16" and I wouldn't have known it was cracked if I hadn't been having overheating issues. My overheating turned out to be no coolant in the radiator.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #26
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Where'd the coolant go?
Old 09-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #27
weedtank
I need more stars

Drives: Liftback
We all know the moral of the story here..
Old 09-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #28
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
I'm very surprised at the responses this thread has gotten.
I think i'm more surprised I haven't heard of this happening before.
Definitely sounds like a design flaw in NST's pulley's, something is making them brittle and weak.
I was going to try and get another one from NST, but since everyone else seems to be having the same responses...it might be best to stick to OEM.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #29
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
makes me want to check my w/p pulley.....i hope it's ok! it's been on for quite some time.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #30
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Drives: Yaris S Sedan w/ Aero Package!
I had a similar experience in that there was a lot of belt squealing and vibration....and then the belt eventually snapped. Turns out it was the NST WP pulley as well...after reading the problems you had I was going to switch back to OEM and this happened.

Terrorize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #31
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorize View Post
I had a similar experience in that there was a lot of belt squealing and vibration....and then the belt eventually snapped. Turns out it was the NST WP pulley as well...after reading the problems you had I was going to switch back to OEM and this happened.
Sorry to hear that, Terror... This is why I like the stock crank pulley because it damps crank vibrations.

Greg
Old 12-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #32
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

I've been running my Perrin crank pulley for 8 years and have 140000 km on it with absolutely no issues. I've seen the stock pulleys fail too where the rubber rots and the outer part falls off, so six of one half dozen of the other.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:56 AM   #33
tooter
play every day

Fair enough, Blue. There will always be different opinions drawn from each of our own personal experiences.

Greg
Old 12-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #34
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
^ (pics above)

Wow ((
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #35
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I have heard too many downs and not enough ups for any pulley changing. Stock for me.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #36
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I have heard too many downs and not enough ups for any pulley changing. Stock for me.
I don't think any downs from our Micro Image crank pulley. I'd like to keep our product separate in terms of reviews, unless someone has broken one of ours -- then I want to hear about it. Lumping all the crank pulley options together doesn't fit the evidence, in my opinion.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote