Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #379
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Congratulations!!! I guess if you have to 'lose', what a way to go.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #380
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
Congrats!!! We now know the real reason you spent all that time deadening the Yaris. When the baby won't stop crying you have somewhere to go and hide.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #381
gates_2

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 2dr HB
Congrats! That must be really exciting!

Quick question..anyone have problems with getting the C pillar off? I'm in the process of gutting my HB to put in deadening, and there seems to be like a metal cliplike thing holding the C pillar in place quite firmly (its different from the other white plastic clips)- Advise?
gates_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #382
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Thanks guys,

Looks like tomorrow night we'll go back to this project.

Herb, I got your meter, will test soon.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #383
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
Congratulations man! There's nothing in the world like love at first sight.
YEAH!!!

Old 07-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #384
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates_2 View Post
Congrats! That must be really exciting!

Quick question..anyone have problems with getting the C pillar off? I'm in the process of gutting my HB to put in deadening, and there seems to be like a metal cliplike thing holding the C pillar in place quite firmly (its different from the other white plastic clips)- Advise?

My C pillar was very easy to pull off.

(o:
Old 07-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #385
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Herb, I got your meter, will test soon.
Take any readings yet from your newborn? I KNOW she is not always that quiet and photogenic!!!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #386
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Take any readings yet from your newborn? I KNOW she is not always that quiet and photogenic!!!
I haven't had a chance to do that! she is not very loud! she sleeps eats and you know.

I replaced the 9v battery and drove to work, the meter it's very tricky and I'm slowly finding how it works, even a small change on pavement the numbers increase, even if I talk or sneeze, small bumps on the road, a truck passing by also make the numbers go up or just changing the position of the meter or touching it as well.

Also the position and orientation makes a difference, pointing at the windshield the #s increase a little bit. It's not fair to record MAX readings for reference, so I'm posting actual readings as I drive on the highway...

at 75mph reads... 74db to 78db a small bump or changes in surface bumps and reads... 80db for 1/2 a second

at 65mph reads... 61db to 68db

ps... GPS speed in MPH

All this with the center of the car open (no center console) and no front passenger's seat either and the front left wheel well untreated.

I would like to try this in my Dad's Mercedes...

A couple of nights ago I put some Mat and Ensolite to the center console, I didn't spend a lot of time here, I just wanted to reinforce the plastic panels a little bit, and prevent rattling, I'm also concern on getting back in place this piece, so I didn't put any Mat or Ensolite on the edges... here are the pictures:

Oops..

Old 07-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #387
derickveliz2

Arrow

Ok, my intention was to record video clips at highway speeds, please don't do this at home LOL

Sorry for the crappy video quality

This video is driving at 70 mph (cruise control) no center console, no front passenger's seat either and the front left wheel well untreated. PS... thanks to herb for letting me use his db meter.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #388
derickveliz2

Thumbs up

This video is at 80 MPH... CRANK up the volume of your speakers and hear the noise coming from the stick as I move the camera from it.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #389
derickveliz2

It's hard to have a sense of scale with db (decibels) so I thought about what if I open the window at 80mph? almost 10 db more, but to my ears it was twice as much louder. It's interesting how these measurements work, we are used to grab a ruler and measure, but with decibels I guess it doesn't work the same way.

enjoy

Old 07-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #390
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:

It's hard to have a sense of scale with db (decibels) so I thought about what if I open the window at 80mph? almost 10 db more, but to my ears it was twice as much louder. It's interesting how these measurements work, we are used to grab a ruler and measure, but with decibels I guess it doesn't work the same way.

enjoy

the dB scale is exponential. either 0 or 1 dB is supposed to be the lowest volume of sound a human ear is supposed to be able to hear. Every increase of 3dB is technically a doubling in volume. HOWEVER, human ears suck as listening tools. Human ears usually perceive a 6 to 10dB increase as being a doubling in sound.

So, you saying that a 10dB increase felt like a doubling is within normal perception.

Also, once you start getting up past 120dB, the ears really can't tell what a doubling is... especially when you start getting in the 140+ range.

Another thing, there are many different decibel measurement tools out there. I know of only one that is accurate & consistent regardless of environmental conditions. Many are very liberal with their ratings (higher readings than they should be).
Old 07-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #391
derickveliz2

Thanks Taln, I know that there is a logic explanation for all that. and I agree human ears are not a very good listening tool; and yes the meter I'm using is from Herb, and it's not very expensive (around $35) so we are kind of playing and having fun, not actually getting real results.

LINK

I just wanted to give it a try, since he was a little frustrated with his before and after readings, but my conclusion besides it's a cheap meter, he is looking at MAX recorded and like if you watch in the videos the numbers kick up and down at some points, so I'm pretty sure his treatment is working well.

I'm going to send the meter back to Herb next week so he can play with it again.

(o:
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #392
derickveliz2

2 nights ago, I met a big nightmare! putting back the center console was a pain!!! but now it's very tight and snug.

So when ever you do your deadening project remember to leave space and plan ahead on what you cover, for your trim panels, screws, seats, etc, since adding Mat, Ensolite or CLD Tiles, CCFoam and MLV like in my case, you will increase the thickness of your floor, so everything is going to be tight.

For the back panel of the center console that has the cup holder for the rear seats, I'm going to have to shave on the bottom to make it fit properly.

but you know what... it's worth it!

D.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #393
derickveliz2

Last night I removed the OEM head unit, and it was a 30 minute workout very easy to do. removing the vents from it with... those 8 clips, where the time consuming part. Now my interior looks really bad, and without a radio to listen, I really want to install my system; this should make me move faster on the installation.

(o:
Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #394
derickveliz2

This is how it looks with out a Head Unit!

. I'm about to do the Big 3, any last minute tips are appreciated!

Thanks
Old 07-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #395
Herbicidal

Quote:
I haven't had a chance to do that! she is not very loud! she sleeps eats and you know.

I replaced the 9v battery and drove to work, the meter it's very tricky and I'm slowly finding how it works, even a small change on pavement the numbers increase, even if I talk or sneeze, small bumps on the road, a truck passing by also make the numbers go up or just changing the position of the meter or touching it as well.

Also the position and orientation makes a difference, pointing at the windshield the #s increase a little bit. It's not fair to record MAX readings for reference, so I'm posting actual readings as I drive on the highway...

at 75mph reads... 74db to 78db a small bump or changes in surface bumps and reads... 80db for 1/2 a second

at 65mph reads... 61db to 68db

ps... GPS speed in MPH

All this with the center of the car open (no center console) and no front passenger's seat either and the front left wheel well untreated.

I would like to try this in my Dad's Mercedes...
You're welcome for the use of the meter.

I'll have to try the highway readings like you did just for comparison and yes, I realize this is all just for fun. However, I'm not taking out my passenger seat or the center console!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #396
derickveliz2

Meter is going back to California tomorrow! Thank you!!!!

it's a learning process...

I need some sleep....