Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Nexus 1, Droid, or HTC something?
Get the Nexus 1 10 25.00%
Get the Droid 7 17.50%
Wait for the HTC Incredible or Evo 20 50.00%
They're all the same, get the cheapest 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #415
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
a working GPS would be nice. I can deal with lesser KB (it's actually very much like the KB on my iPod Touch ) and lesser camera controls of CM 7.1 compared to Sense UI but my GPS doesn't work, even after applying the fix and that's kind of a deal breaker to me. I guess I'll be trolling the forums on my spare time to see if peeps have found a workaround, otherwise ... I really need my GPS working! Several applications I have rely heavily on it, not to mention I rely heavily on it to get around!

BTW, what do you use for international keyboard?

PS. I've seen ICS in person. Personally, I think it rules. Best Android OS hands down.
The GPS isn't working on your CM7 version? Try downloading and flashing an older version tomato. I am still running CM7 2.3.5 version because 2.3.7 version does not sync my past events on the calendar from 2010 to new 2.3.7 version. SO i gave up, and went back to older version.

You are lucky to see it in person. What pisses me off is that Verizon is an asshole company. Google Wallet will not be usable on the Galaxy Nexus for Verizon because Verizon wants to implement Issu? Their own version of it. <-- Stupid....oh well, hope CM9 makes it usable..I will not let Verizon keep track of my transactions My main reason for getting a Galaxy Nexus was because of the NFC via Google Wallet mobile payments.
Google needs to punch Verizon in the face for this~

I use Simeji keyboard. Its a little better when typing english on it compared to stock Gingerbread keyboard on CM7. Although, ICS has international languages built into its single keyboard and converts when needed... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
Kioshi what's your phone again? Im waiting on the fully stable release of Cyanogen Mod 9 which should be early January by what they are hinting. Worst case scenario I started to learn how to make ROMs myself so Ill just cook one up. As for the iOS vs Android, one is made for people who just want stuff to work and dont care about what's on their phone as long as it works....and who like to overspend...and Android is for people who actually like to know what's going on inside their phone and who are eager to learn new stuff. It is already bad that people rely so much on smartphones these days and companies like Apple are not helping the situation by dumbing down their products so. I remember back in like 2000 if something broke or wasn't working properly on your computer you would actually try and fix it yourself, format this, repartition that, set permissions, etc.. Now is:" Waaaaa my computer/phone/toilet doesn't work lets send it back to Apple and they'll just tell me to buy a new one". It is my opinion that instead of making us smarter, these things are actually making us dumber and lazier. I understand why companies do it though, to maximize their profits but in the end they are just contributing to the end of human civilization. As an example, I have a friend and she is a teacher at one of the local high schools and each time I see her she tells me how bad kids' writing has become, they write like they text and get angry when told it's incorrect. Anyways ICS is awesome and I really like that they finally bridged the gap between phone and tablet, no more Apple talk about fragmentation. Again I don't hate Apple just what they represent...an "elitist", I'm better than everyone else because I own an overpriced and shiny piece of same tech as everyone else.
Use indentation PK,

I have an HTC Incredible.
PK, try out the latest versions of ICS, its really good aside from the random reboot every 60 mins or so. They are daily drivers. No GPS, camera, and a few other things, but def can browse web, download from market, use gallery (on and off), and one more thing..which i forget.

I agree with your iOS vs Android comment.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #416
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33OH View Post
I just finally switched from being a faithful Android user of 2 years to an iPhone 4. I just couldn't take the battery life anymore. I'd tried countless ROM's, apps, techniques, etc. to no avail. I had a Droid Eris at first and switched to the Droid Incredible when they came out and couldn't get more than 4-5 hours of battery life out of either phone, even with an extended battery.

Do I miss the Android? Heck yes. But I do get a good 24 hours of battery life out of my new toy. :)
HOW????????? I have a Droid Incredible. I have classes from 9am-9pm and leave the house at 7am. I surf, take pics, listen to music for straight 70 mins (riding train to school). Unless you are in a classroom/place where there is low signal, then yeah...it seems possible to kill the battery that quick.

At the end of the day, my phone has about 8% left right when i get to my car from train station. Using original battery that came w/ the phone, stock.

To you set min/max in CPU settings? I have my brightness a level up from the lowest setting when using the notification bar to set brightness (from left to right).
Old 12-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #417
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
HOW????????? I have a Droid Incredible. I have classes from 9am-9pm and leave the house at 7am. I surf, take pics, listen to music for straight 70 mins (riding train to school). Unless you are in a classroom/place where there is low signal, then yeah...it seems possible to kill the battery that quick.

At the end of the day, my phone has about 8% left right when i get to my car from train station. Using original battery that came w/ the phone, stock.

To you set min/max in CPU settings? I have my brightness a level up from the lowest setting when using the notification bar to set brightness (from left to right).
I'm in Amish Country, Ohio - the signal is always low.

Yes I messed with the min/max settings, brightness was all the way low (0%), and I ran Cyanogen.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:14 AM   #418
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
Since I'm about to step into the smartphone arena for the first time, I've been reading some of the posts in this thread the last couple pages. I'm thinking about getting the Galaxy S II 4G for t-mobile for myself and getting a pair of HTC Wildfire S phones for my wife and daughter. It's interesting reading about ICS and Cyanogen, where can I learn more on the how's and why's of applying these ROMs and the pros/cons of such? Thanks!
whaaaaa ?!! Only a couple of pages? No, no, no, no, that won't do!! You have to read the whole thread!!!

kidding!!

Well, you're in the right thread on here. Some of the members here are very knowledgeable about Android, ROMs, hardware and all things android.

here are a few links to get you started:

XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/ (huge forums for Q's about all android phones, ROMs, etc.)

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/ Cyanogen Mod is the most widely used ROM for those phones. You can follow them on facebook, Google+ as well.

There are others who cover all things android:

http://www.androidcentral.com/

http://www.androidpolice.com/

I don't keep up with them all, but those should get you started. You can also go on Google + and #android

Google + is brilliant for stuff like that
Hope that'll get you started
Old 12-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #419
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
The GPS isn't working on your CM7 version? Try downloading and flashing an older version tomato. I am still running CM7 2.3.5 version because 2.3.7 version does not sync my past events on the calendar from 2010 to new 2.3.7 version. SO i gave up, and went back to older version.
You are lucky to see it in person ...
I think GPS is working now. Somebody had the same issue and posted a fix. I wish I could paypal some pizza money to that dev. Seriously. With GPS working, the ROM is amazing.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #420
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
I just finally switched from being a faithful Android user of 2 years to an iPhone 4. I just couldn't take the battery life anymore. I'd tried countless ROM's, apps, techniques, etc. to no avail. I had a Droid Eris at first and switched to the Droid Incredible when they came out and couldn't get more than 4-5 hours of battery life out of either phone, even with an extended battery.

Do I miss the Android? Heck yes. But I do get a good 24 hours of battery life out of my new toy. :)
Awwww :( You didn't even get the iPhone 4GS which is supposed to have a superb camera in there ! Oh well. I do understand about the battery. My EVO only lasts half a day or a little more if I don't use the camera. But I carry an extra battery now and a charger. So that's one way to get around it. Not ideal, I know
Old 12-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #421
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
there's a pretty advanced beta of ICS for the HTC HD2 (i.e. the phone that won't die), one of which I have on hand... time to give it a try tonight :D
Thomas, how is that working out?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:59 AM   #422
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
I'm in Amish Country, Ohio - the signal is always low.

Yes I messed with the min/max settings, brightness was all the way low (0%), and I ran Cyanogen.
Ah, I see. I guess there isnt a mod for increasing signal on cell phones.....yet.

I would have still helped you achieve max battery life though
Old 12-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #423
tomato
Super Moderator

Ryan is gone to the dark side

J/K. :)
Old 12-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #424
33OH

Quote:
Awwww :( You didn't even get the iPhone 4GS which is supposed to have a superb camera in there ! Oh well. I do understand about the battery. My EVO only lasts half a day or a little more if I don't use the camera. But I carry an extra battery now and a charger. So that's one way to get around it. Not ideal, I know
I used to have 3 extra batteries with me; one at home, one in my car, one at work.

Quote:
Ah, I see. I guess there isnt a mod for increasing signal on cell phones.....yet.

I would have still helped you achieve max battery life though
Trust me, I tried and tried and tried. I bought UltimateJuice (JuiceDefender). Ran through about 5 or 6 different ROM's. SetCPU down to slowwww. 0% brightness. WiFi off. Even turned the data/3G off.

Oh, I didn't charge my phone last night after a full day of use on my iPhone.. so about 36 hours now.. I'm at 85%..

And I read that the new iPhone's have worse battery life then the iPhone 4, hence the reason I went with the older model.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #425
33OH

Quote:
Ryan is gone to the dark side

J/K. :)
It's true.. I even have an iPad2.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #426
tomato
Super Moderator

@Ryan, i'm a bigger dork: I still have my iPad first gen. ... Ha! and I love it! :)

True, it's no android tablet, it's got no USB port, etc., etc. But I only charge it every 3 weeks. Ha!!
Old 12-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #427
tomato
Super Moderator

Not that I was trying to imply that you're a dork ...

(I'm joking with ya! )
Old 12-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #428
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:

Oh, I didn't charge my phone last night after a full day of use on my iPhone.. so about 36 hours now.. I'm at 85%..
l.
Now, now, that's just mean, rubbing it in like that in this [android lover] thread

I'm kidding. Enjoy :D

PS. I'm online right now as we speak ordering spare batteries and a charger on Amazon! My phone is basically tethered to the wall all day at work .
Old 12-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #429
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Although Apple batteries are indeed known for there quality, they are boosted by iPhone's small screen and no 4G.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #430
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
Now, now, that's just mean, rubbing it in like that in this [android lover] thread

I'm kidding. Enjoy :D

PS. I'm online right now as we speak ordering spare batteries and a charger on Amazon! My phone is basically tethered to the wall all day at work .
Jeeez tomato.
have a spare htc evo battery not in use (used) i can buy from you? :P
Old 12-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #431
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
something else I can add, although it's too late for some (we will miss you Ryan lol)

on some androids like htc phones, you can change the radio software (the software that allows for communication/signal for data and voice).

::read:: baseband version in settings/about phone/more info

I changed mine ( sometimes it is actually changed with over the air updates on your phone, hence why they say back up your stuff on the phone)

the radio can help increase/decrease battery life as it determines where and which signal you get....

also other things to do include:

-keeping caches cleared out of apps

-turning off background data (usually only google apps need this running when you open them i.e. the market)
unless you have to constantly have your phone syncing you can tell it to manually let you sync data which believe me, works in the batteries favor or set it to mimimal auto sync rate

-if you know for a fact the area you will be in only gets a certain data speed, you can tell the phone (rooted or stock) to use only a certain speed (edge, 2g 3g, 4g, lte)
just find the setting on your phone that deals with connectivity and data
///otherwise the phone will constantly search for a better signal (only tell tale sign to you will be freefalling battery levels and data icon constantly changing.

-turn off your wifi (it will constantly be searching as in above post)

-you can also turn off g.p.s as it isn't necessary unless an app specifies it when you open it

-contrary to popular belief keeping the phone plugged in or charging on and off throughout the day is actually fine and won't cause the battery to develop a memory
you don't have to run the battery down unless you want too...

-I set my phone to auto brightness or minimal brightness

-I do not use any haptic feedback or vibration except for calls and messages

-task killers and or battery apps (essentially the same thing anymore) are up to you, there is no right answer for this, some apps are battery vampires, others close when you tell them to close

one app I can reccommend that pretty much covers all these bases for you is called "llama" it uses a-gps (tower to phone locations) and maps where you are and you tell it when and what you want to the phone to be doing (i.e you're at home and only want wifi turned on and vibration mode on the phone [or you're at work from x-o'clock to y-o'clock and need medium ringtone, 4g data and wifi tethering for your other devices and your navigation app opened])

@Shinare: To be completely honest I don't think sprint's plan will be offered anymore here soon...>>>LINK<<< & >>>LINK<<<
I do think you made the correct choice, however, as discounts and your phone choices and signal reception should be a non-issue.

Last edited by Shroomster; 12-08-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:37 AM   #432
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
s
-turning off background data (usually only google apps need this running when you open them i.e. the market)
unless you have to constantly have your phone syncing you can tell it to manually let you sync data which believe me, works in the batteries favor or set it to mimimal auto sync rate
Question, Do you know if the stock CM7 mail app uses background data? I like to stay on top of my emails...mainly from overseas friend/s and important local ones.