Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #433
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by asa805
I dont know how so many people are getting such good mpg! I did only one fillup thus far (with A/C on for most of the miles and no trips more than 15 minutes) and id say with 90% city driving i avg. 27 MPG!!!

This sucks and im pretty dissapointed in it. I know i drive in NYC and apparently it is an ethanol blend city, so perhaps that is why.

Should i expect to see improvement since the car is not broken in yet?

Sorry to hear about your gas milage, it should improve over time as the car breaks in, also I think since you are in NYC, the biggest city in the U.S. might have an effect on it, obviously any city driving is going to yield lower milage. I heard ethanol lowers milage but from what I read the Yaris doesn't take enough to effect it meaning 15%n ethanol or so shouldn't effect milage too much if at all. Hope it goes up, keep us posted!

fearturtle44-you are correct, outside temp does effect how fast the engine will warm up (and when the light will go off), of course if you race it cold that will speed it up during the colder months (where ever that applies) but obviously you shouldn't and I don't advise "racing" a cold engine if possible. But from what I observed it warms up faster in the summer than winter which is a major give-in-what I also observed even if your driving on a 70 degree or so day, and you take a short trip, and the blue light goes off and you park for 30 min or so and get back in the car and leave the light will come back on as you haven't driven far enough to fully warm it up, but will go off right away or sooner than you first drove cause the engine has already been up to an operating temp for the light to go off and time of day effects it too. The light goes off when the engine reaches a certain operating temp which is not an optimized operating temp (as explained above in the example)-yes it gets to there but I'm saying when it goes off doesn't mean its at its full opperating temp yet...if that makes sense.
Enough of my babble.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:49 PM   #434
spacemanoeuvres
spase peepole

Drives: BLAZING BLUE Liftback 5 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanoeuvres
Just filled up for the first time on Saturday.

Liftback took 11.009 gallons with the odometer on 395.

That's approx 35.9 (US) miles per gallon...meh, not great

Driving was 65/35 highway/city and I had the AC running about 65-75% of the city miles.

The car seems to do much better with the AC off.
Fill up #2:

Took 11.001 gallons with the odometer on 397.

That's approx 36.1 (US) miles per gallon...again meh, but a pinch better

Driving was 65/35 highway; frequently cruising at 80mph (60-65 on first tank) with the AC running about 10% of the city miles.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:46 AM   #435
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by asa805
I dont know how so many people are getting such good mpg! I did only one fillup thus far (with A/C on for most of the miles and no trips more than 15 minutes) and id say with 90% city driving i avg. 27 MPG!!!

This sucks and im pretty dissapointed in it. I know i drive in NYC and apparently it is an ethanol blend city, so perhaps that is why.

Should i expect to see improvement since the car is not broken in yet?
Ethanol will lower gas mileage by the same percentage of ethanol that is in the fuel. If it is 10%, it will lower your gas mileage by 10%.

MA just switched to a summer blend with 10% ethanol. Pathetic morons in the state house don't have a clue.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #436
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
Ethanol will lower gas mileage by the same percentage of ethanol that is in the fuel. If it is 10%, it will lower your gas mileage by 10%.

MA just switched to a summer blend with 10% ethanol. Pathetic morons in the state house don't have a clue.
Jesus. Where do you get this shit, dude? You're telling me that a Yaris running E85 would get 6mpg? The reality is that most FFVs running E85 get about 30% less mileage, while the new improved models only see about 10% less mileage.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:06 AM   #437
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

How about with experience? Duh.

The 10% ethanol crap that we are using in MA has lowered the gas mileage on the other cars I see by 10%.

The Yaris is not an FFV, neither are the majority of vehicles on the American roads today.

Ethanol is basically water, not exactly something that will be good for gas mileage.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:28 AM   #438
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
How about with experience? Duh.
How about actually having facts instead ridiculous assumptions based on limited data?

Quote:
The 10% ethanol crap that we are using in MA has lowered the gas mileage on the other cars I see by 10%.
So that means that can be extrapolated to a general rule about all ethanol products? Dude, seriously, get a grip. You're not this stupid.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #439
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

But you obviously have never used your brain. Of course, you are a liberal so I shouldn't be that surprised.

Every amount of data is limited. No one human can possibly know everything. However, as a car guy, I know a lot of people who drive a lot of different cars, and SURPRISE, when I am around we talk about, oh, can you guess it, That's right, CARS!!!

Now because of the absurd price of gas, almost all the talk circles around, oh wait, can your liberal addled brain guess what we talk about, could it possible be, gas mileage?

You bet your ass it is. Even the dude with a 500+hp mustang is worried about gas mileage. And no one I have encountered has said their gas mileage has gone up. Not 1.

This means ethanol is worthless. It has no place in fuel.

Of all the people I've talked to, the majority have seen losses around 10% when MA forced ethanol onto us.

Now you can be a liberal and go on feelings alone, however people with brains tend to use them. And when everyone is saying the same thing, a conclusion is made.

That conclusion is that ethanol simply does not belong in gas.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #440
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
drop the liberal bashing why?, it just points to your pathetic insecurities.

ethanol is not as effecient as 100% gasoline, so naturally, you wouldn't get as good mileage as 100% gasoline,
i read an article in the paper that stated this, and they were making the point that ethanol is not all it is cracked up to be.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:13 PM   #441
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2filz
wow i expected alot more if it is only that much mpg (32ish american mpg) ill start heading back to the xb... by the way what rpms are you revving when your at 80 mph

I know this goes back to the beginning of the thread, but if I didn't miss something I can answer this. I bought my S in Mankato, Minnesota and drove it home to Maine. I was usually cruising around 75-80mph (this was right around 3500 rpm) on the trip home and was able to achieve 446 miles right before the final eight of a tank began to blink. I was able to pull into a gas station 6 miles later and filled up. I put in 10.1 gallons for the first tank that I had. Do the math and that is 44.15mpg! I was amazed since the quoted I has seen was at 40 highway not to mention that I had the A/C max kicked ont he dial with the fan at 3. I have now placed around 2600 miles on my Yaris and have a total average over the "life" thus far at 39.6mpg. I drive 11 miles each way to work and my in town driving nets me around 5-12 miles a day. All in all very impressed. I did notice that I do get a couple more miles to the gallon if I use a/c rather than have the windows down.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:00 AM   #442
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Keeping your windows down will put drag on the car and thus poorer MPG than running your A/C.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #443
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
But you obviously have never used your brain. Of course, you are a liberal so I shouldn't be that surprised.
This is the lamest ad hominem I've ever heard. The simple fact is that you were talking out of your ass about how the percentage of ethanol relates to mileage. You're wrong. Just like you were wrong about how everyone should run their tires at the max pressure marked on the tire. I'm not even going to address the rest of your pathetic diatribe until you acknowledge that.

Being wrong isn't necessarily bad, but not being able to own up to it gracefully is.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #444
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Of course I'm right, and you're too dumb to acknowledge it.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:43 AM   #445
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
Of course I'm right, and you're too dumb to acknowledge it.
Dude, you can't honestly think I'm dumb. Why don't you just drop the ad hominem bullshit and debate me like the intelligent person you clearly think you are?

Anyway, so you stand by the claim that a vehicle (a FFV, I would assume) using E85 would get 85% worse gas mileage than a gasoline counterpart? So for instance a bespoke FFV Yaris would get 6mpg on E85 instead of 40mpg? This would match your claim that a car sees a reduction in mileage equivalent to the percentage of ethanol in the fuel.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #446
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
according to that argument, ethanol is then basically just a filler with no fuel properties whatsoever.
i think in the article that i read, it stated that ethanol was 80% as effecient as gasoline.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:12 AM   #447
YarisBueller
Administrator

Ok fellas, keep the thread ontopic. NO NAME CALLING. NO REASON TO BASH EACH OTHER, we are all in this together. Pleae keep the thread clean. Thanks everyone!
YarisBueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:03 PM   #448
spacemanoeuvres
spase peepole

Drives: BLAZING BLUE Liftback 5 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearturtle44
Keeping your windows down will put drag on the car and thus poorer MPG than running your A/C.

Kevin
Is this true?!?!?

I know the additional drag doesn't help but is it really worse than running the AC?
Old 06-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #449
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanoeuvres
Is this true?!?!?

I know the additional drag doesn't help but is it really worse than running the AC?

It is worse than AC at higher speeds like highway, personally I only roll my windows down if I'm going 45mph or lower yeah sometimes I go above but I personally make it a point to only have them both down or one down when I'm below 50mph...because the lower the speed the lower the drag...there's drag no matter what speed you go but obviously as stated before the higher speed you go the more drag...I see (during the summer) plenty of people on the highway driving 65-70+mph with there windows down...I shake my head only if I can pull them over and show them the light Enough of my novel you get the point
Old 06-28-2006, 08:37 PM   #450
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
A good analogy is NASCAR where cars try to draft in order to conserve gas but stay at top speed.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote