Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-08-2010, 04:01 AM   #37
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
.... I remember him (camelll) bashing my wikipedia links on the intake debate on the reason that wikipedia is a bunch of unverified statements made by simple people, yet he uses more than a dozen wikipedia links to support his tirade against NST pulleys......
ROFL

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:48 AM   #38
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
As for the OEM pulley, I've seen what time and the elements do to rubber. They make it hard and brittle. There is no way that rubber ring will maintain its rubbery properties for many years, so I think it's quite safe to assume that after a while, the OEM pulley is just like a solid pulley... only MUCH heavier...
This is a very good point.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #39
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
WOW.

All of this because I simply asked *MAD DOG* to get an opinion on the subject from his tuner.

Unbelievable.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #40
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Unbelievable.
not really...
Old 02-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #41
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
Now for this, I have supercharger on my car, I am almost certain I already have some damage to the internals. But this supercharger was about 1/4 the cost of the car and certainly more than a new engine and it too is attached to the crank pulley. The same vibrations that can damage the crank can affect anything attached to the pulley via the belt and cause damage to that as well. I don't want to run an experiment that can damage my supercharger. Especially to open the engine up and see the damage that was probably there before the pulley. The burden of proof is not on me, I don't have anything to gain. Nothing, matter of fact I am getting flamed for it.

I just asked Mike a few questions, matter of fact here they are again.
1. how exactly did you determine our engine has a strong and stiff bottom end?
2. Do you drive a yaris?
3. Do you have an aftermarket solid pulley on all of your personal cars no matter kind of cars they are? If they are available.
5. If it can be proven and warranty work is denied because of your pulley, are you gonna cover the cost of repairs?
6. Did you take apart a stock new 1.5 liter 1nzfe engine and document what it looks like before the install of one of your pulley's and then do the same after some thousands of miles of driving more aggressive with the pulley installed?
7. To those who have installed the pulley's, have you taken apart your motor to see if there is any damage from your pulley? This is the only way to tell if there is any damage at all? Of course unless failure occurs.
8. Is it cheaper to manufacture a multiple piece pulley or a solid pulley?
9. Is it possible to have a completely balanced engine?
10. You really think that a damper in the crank pulley is a moot point? Toyota knew that this car in stock form is generally not gonna see above 5000 rpm constantly but yet they still put a more expensive design and use a damped pulley. I know that the damper also cuts down vibration in to the cab, which is what you are talking about NVH but vibration in a balanced engine is not good, not to mention they balance the engine with a damped and much heavier pulley on the crank.
11. Do you have any college degree's? If so what was the major and minor?

12. Are you an automotive engineer?
13. How much research and development went into the yaris aftermarket pulley?
14. Did you just measure a stock one and input into a cad program?
15. Does your company own a yaris?
16. If not how did you do the research?

There they are in all their glory, 1-11 made mike mad enough that he was not gonna reply to the thread anymore and not be a vendor anymore. I don't want specifics but I think it is fair to ask these questions to someone who makes a product and sells it to make a profit and who also says that their product cannot cause damage unless it is 400 hp boosted and spends most of its time in the redline and that redline is 11,000 rpm.

I am not calling out his education or his experience as he seems to think, he don't have to answer any question he don't want. Obviously he don't want to answer any of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg internetargumentbi7.jpg (37.1 KB, 109 views)
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #42
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Ah, the great "what if" scenario. I've had over 50k miles of trouble free operation with the complete pulley set installed. There's my real world data.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #43
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
WOW.

All of this because I simply asked *MAD DOG* to get an opinion on the subject from his tuner.

Unbelievable.
Don't blame me for this. You went......

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #44
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Off-topic...not really.

Your original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
I have an appointment at a mechanic for Monday 9am to finally get the NST lite crank pulley I bought off tk-421 put on my Yaris. Looking forward to it and will post results.
Part of posting results could have been insight from your mechanic. Who knows, he may very well have given this thing a endorsement.

Anyhow, this has made for some entertaining reading, and nothing but the same old, same old has come out of it.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #45
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
+1.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #46
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
definitely entertaining.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #47
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
WOW.

Unbelievable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
not really...
yeah we know if this was MICROIMAGE there would be topics about hooking up AVEO'S and what garm has done next with your money.....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #48
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The Aveo turboblasterchargeradaptor is selling really well, thankyouverymuch.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #49
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
Hi i am an engineer. camelll is right to an extent... Toyota builds there cars to last longer than there competitors. Thats how the make bank along with mpg. Any modification made to our car that is not an upgrade in durability AND quality, will shorten the life span of our car. Learned in my automotive class. The question is by how much. I have the pulley and love it. I know some Yaris owners that have the pulley and after 100k miles have not had a problem as a result of it. That makes me thing the product is reliable for the purpose it serves. NST made a reliable product and it should end right there IMO...
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #50
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
The Aveo turboblasterchargeradaptor is selling really well, thankyouverymuch.
Love that word.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:38 AM   #51
MiniTRD
it's the MiniTRD

Drives: 2009 Polar White 3dr Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to MiniTRD
Just saw this thread -

just a question for the OP

do you only get Toyota branded parts, fluids, etc?

because I'm certain that not all oil manufacturers have tested a yaris at different mileage. so by using your logic, their statements about engine protection might be false. . .

you can apply the same logic to any sort of part or fluid that isn't a Toyota product. . .

so what's the point about continuing to badger NST on a public forum? a lot of your questions were better suited to a PM instead of creating a soapbox here. I mean most people call the company directly instead of getting them to respond to a forum on a specific car

just my thoughts and I'll shut up now
http://www.norcalcarstyle.com/minitrd/
MiniTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #52
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
30000 miles with them on my Scion and never a problem car has IHPE....best mod was the pulleys it really cleaned up the of the line acceleration........There are guys running them on their xBs and xAs on scionlife for over 100000 miles and no problems,same motor we got short of throttle body.......the thread on scionlife is well over 70 pages of discussion and hundreds of owners with the very same thing to report.........no problems.

One thing no one has considered is how long the rubber dampner on a stock pully that is 2mm thick will last .......pop one off a motor with 50000 miles on it and it is starting to wear out.....

Once the dampner wears it does nothing for the crank or bearings to reduce harmonics.

Toyota over built every motor since day one to do one thing and do it well.......last for a longer time than any of the compitition......

NST has built a great product and it works and that is a fact.........will the motor last a shorter time........possible yes.......but how long was it going to last to begin with depends on how it is used,how it is maintained,and many more factors.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #53
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
I have only stated that it can.
My car can explode given the right circumstances, but that doesn't stop me from taking the risk of driving it.

I'm having a hard time understanding your argument when you have a supercharger on your engine. You implied that the reason you installed it - despite the known risks - is because the manufacture freely admits (or at least doesn't dispute) it may cause a problem. Your main point of contention for not installing the pulley is that NST hasn't publicly stated it may cause a problem - or maybe it's that when asked they reply "empirical evidence shows the pulleys to be a high quality product and we have little or no complaints." Either way, you need to find a better excuse.

There are plenty of people that think installing an SC on the Yaris isn't worth the risk (myself included) yet you don't see any of us bitching at the manufacturers or those that have them installed.

If you don't want to install the pulley because you think it's bad for your engine then don't do it and just leave it at that.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #54
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
+1
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote