Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2006, 02:50 AM   #1
505zoom
277whp @ 12psi

Drives: Black Mica Mazda MPS #119
Send a message via AIM to 505zoom
^

Beautiful color there.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
YotaYarisUSA

Drives: Yaris Sedan,Pacific Blue
I just got some the new turtle wax Ice stuff,it seems like pretty awesome stuff! The guys at Advanced Auto parts,say its been selling like crazy,and that ppl are raving about how great it works. Its suppose to,a quick and easier way to polish wax your car,no white junk and you can put on metal, plastic,etc and you can use it in the sun,when the car is hot and it works just as good,so says the bottle.Plus,it comes with a mircofiber towel and a polish applicator.

My dealer called and my car is here,and I pick her up tommorrow:) I looked on the turtle wax website,and it says that you should check the date of when the car was made,and if its 30 days past that,you are safe to wax and polish the car. I'm thinking that its been more than 30days, they made it in japan and sent over on the boat, I hope so want to keep this little ride looking sweet!

Later,guys I will post pictures just as soon as I ICE MY Yaris!

Anyone else, use ICE?

YotaYarisUSA
YotaYarisUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
I havent yet seen anyone mention Mothers. I have used most of Mothers products for years with incredible results but with incredible amounts of elbow grease. This is where everyone turns to the spray on, no touch, instant synthetic formulas to get out of doing some work. I wont lie, it'll take one long afternoon to polish up a ride but believe me it'll shine.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:16 AM   #4
505zoom
277whp @ 12psi

Drives: Black Mica Mazda MPS #119
Send a message via AIM to 505zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaYarisUSA
...I'm thinking that its been more than 30days, they made it in japan and sent over on the boat...
Check the sticker and make sure... better safe than sorry.

I have only heard good things about turtle wax ice, it seems kind of like zaino since it leaves no white residue on plastics and will make just about any material shine. I haven't tried ice yet though, so I don't know how it truely compares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz
I havent yet seen anyone mention Mothers. I have used most of Mothers products for years with incredible results but with incredible amounts of elbow grease. This is where everyone turns to the spray on, no touch, instant synthetic formulas to get out of doing some work. I wont lie, it'll take one long afternoon to polish up a ride but believe me it'll shine.
I used Mother's and Meguiar's stuff for years on other cars, they never seemed to last very long, and adding more than a couple coats was a waste of time because the shine wouldn't get any better. You should really try a synthetic (not all are spray-on) just once if you still take the time to use a traditional wax properly. With the ZFX accelerator in the Zaino kits, you can layer up to 3 coats in one day and get crazy results. It still takes all day to do it right, but if you have good paint and proper setup, the difference compared to traditional is night and day. If you switch to any of the higher end synthetics you can keep making it shine more with every coat. Your arm and shoulder will thank you too, haha.

Here is my car with a bare clean (dawn+clay) surface:

And here is the same shot, same day, after only 2 coats:

3 coats:

Here is 12 coats on my engine cover:

Jetta with 20 coats... yes, 20:

Old 05-30-2006, 04:26 AM   #5
DARK505

Drives: Subaru Impreza WRX
Damn rich you never showed me that jetta pic before... That thing looks like he chromed his car with black chrome or something...
I saw your MSP before you Zanio'd it and after you put the, what, 9 or 10 coats on? Woah that makes a world of difference!! You should get another 10 on her so your MSP can bling like that Jetta! lol

By the way, the paint on 505zoom's MSP is the exact same or at very minimum close to identical to the Black sand pearl for the yaris. He was with me when i went in to the dealership to put my down payment in and saw a black sand pearl yaris sedan in the lot.

Last edited by DARK505; 05-30-2006 at 04:45 AM.
DARK505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:22 PM   #6
silverRS

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Silver
the ice is good I bought some, real nice shine
silverRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
Yaris Dick

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 06 VW GTI, 06 G6
Excuse me... but I have to laugh. I must. Sorry.

I'm laughing because I can remember the days when I was so anal about my cars that I used to set alarms to remind me to wash and wax them on the weekends. In the early 80's I used to wash my cars twice a week and wax them once a month... religiously.

Then the first kid was born. Then I washed them every other week and waxed them every 3 months.

Then the second kid was born. Then I washed them when I had enough energy. I paid some dude to wax them about once a year.

Then I turned 30. Then I laughed at my younger neighbors who didn't have kids and had too much time on their hands to be able to wash their cars once a week or more. I sort of envied them... well... not really.

Then I turned 40. My cars ocassionally see an automated brushless carwash about twice a year... if they're lucky. In between washes, I admire how clean they can become with a ride through a puddle or a drive through a seasonal downpour. The really funny thing is: I STILL get top dollar for my trades. I pay some dude to wash and wax them right before I sell them. Even after YEARS of neglect, the finish buffs out to perfection. It gives me a hard-on to think how much time and money I've saved by NOT being so anal about how my car looks.

Word.
Yaris Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
tomjasz
Banned

Drives: 07 Black Yaris LB, 05 Camry LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Dick
Excuse me... but I have to laugh. I must. Sorry.

Then I turned 40. My cars ocassionally see an automated brushless carwash about twice a year... if they're lucky. In between washes, I admire how clean they can become with a ride through a puddle or a drive through a seasonal downpour. The really funny thing is: I STILL get top dollar for my trades. I pay some dude to wash and wax them right before I sell them. Even after YEARS of neglect, the finish buffs out to perfection. It gives me a hard-on to think how much time and money I've saved by NOT being so anal about how my car looks.

Word.

Very funny stuff! I'm chided at work and accused of selling my vehicles when it's time to wash and wax. I do give it 2 hours a month and am usually relieved once i've gotten the first ding.....it's just an f-ing car. (cheapest Toyota I could buy)
tomjasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
RainX on my windows (exterior only), TW ICE on the exterior metal parts, and Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer for all the plastic / vinyl parts inside and out.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:54 PM   #10
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
I'm sorry, but I like to keep ALL my cars as clean and nice looking as possible. What's the point of keeping insanely dirty for no good reason other than being cheap/lazy? I like riding on a clean, good looking car, plain and simply said.

To each his/her own I guess...
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:01 AM   #11
tomjasz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrancosRt
I'm sorry, but I like to keep ALL my cars as clean and nice looking as possible. What's the point of keeping insanely dirty for no good reason other than being cheap/lazy? I like riding on a clean, good looking car, plain and simply said.

To each his/her own I guess...

2 hours a month is NOT "insanely dirty", it's enough time to keep the inside vaccuumed and the outside hosed off. Those $30 car washes and 3 hour Saturdays have been used to pump up a 401K. I'm retiring at 55 with a not so shiny car
Old 09-18-2006, 08:19 AM   #12
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjasz
2 hours a month is NOT "insanely dirty", it's enough time to keep the inside vaccuumed and the outside hosed off. Those $30 car washes and 3 hour Saturdays have been used to pump up a 401K. I'm retiring at 55 with a not so shiny car
You must work for the gov't if you can retire at 55! You could buy a small mansion for the health care expense it will take to cover you from 55 until Medicare at 65.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:18 PM   #13
tomjasz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearturtle44
You must work for the gov't if you can retire at 55! You could buy a small mansion for the health care expense it will take to cover you from 55 until Medicare at 65.

Kevin

No no gubberment work, just plain hard work and a dirty Yaris to save more money

(being DINKS helped Double Income No Kids, recreational sex is cheaper than procreational!)
Old 09-18-2006, 08:39 AM   #14
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
I use the SONAX wax and I am very pleased with the result.

Is it wrong that I put wax every time that I wash the car(4 times a month)?
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:20 PM   #15
tomjasz
Banned

BTW when I was a kid waxing the yaris was something you did under the sheets when mom went to bed....
Old 09-18-2006, 05:37 PM   #16
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Another Zaino user here

NOTHING is better at least not off the shelf from walmart or canadian tire.

That truck was after one coat.
the bike has two.
On a black surface it's hard to tell what color the paint really is because it reflects like a mirror. It's wild stuff.

I've not done the Yaris yet but I will before snow falls, I'm all out and have to re-order.

Last edited by 07WYarisRS; 09-19-2006 at 09:04 AM.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:46 AM   #17
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
New cars are not painted like the local body shops

You can wax them once you get them home.
With a fresh paint paint job slow cured like from 99% of most autobody paint shops you need to wait a couple months. Then wet sand the entire car polish and buff. 99% of car owners or shops don't wet sand and polish paint unless it's a show car.

I anyone has seen the TV overhaulin' they used a quick drying paint booth, where temps as high as 190 degrees bake the paint almost like a powdercoat and cure it within' hours. From there it can be sanded and polished and waxed. This is the same process as the factory finish on ALL cars. It makes the paint far more durable so they can use LESS paint and cut costs

Last edited by 07WYarisRS; 11-07-2006 at 12:00 AM.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:10 PM   #18
yuiedie

Drives: '07 liftback
just washed and waxed teh car, ahhh, unfortunately, it started to rain as soon as i drove out.....@%#^&#$%!!!

yuiedie is offline   Reply With Quote