Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #37
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Maybe it's a reflection of a harsh reality for most bands... most CDs only have 2 or 3 good songs in them.

It's really rare when you can get a CD and like just about every single track in it.

I had vinyls first, then tapes (walked around with a walkman for a long time ;), then CD's and MP3's. Not all the music I like made it to my iPod. I was just thinking about that this morning, actually. I have no Beatles song (not a one!) on my iPod, and barely anything from the 70's, only a handful of tracks from the 80's. It's all pretty contemporary for the most part , last 10 -15 years (except the Jazz and maybe a couple of hundreds of miscel. tracks).

These days I stream a lot of music, so not 100% on my iPod anymore.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #38
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Yall know lennon isn't dead right ?

He just went home.
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #39
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
John Lennon wasn't a real musician? Oh, Ok. Thanks for letting us know.
i will always be anti-beatles. Far too many people I know worship everything about them, even the dean of my college did. Absurd.

Quote:
Maybe it's a reflection of a harsh reality for most bands... most CDs only have 2 or 3 good songs in them.

It's really rare when you can get a CD and like just about every single track in it.

I had vinyls first, then tapes (walked around with a walkman for a long time ;), then CD's and MP3's. Not all the music I like made it to my iPod. I was just thinking about that this morning, actually. I have no Beatles song (not a one!) on my iPod, and barely anything from the 70's, only a handful of tracks from the 80's. It's all pretty contemporary for the most part , last 10 -15 years (except the Jazz and maybe a couple of hundreds of miscel. tracks).

These days I stream a lot of music, so not 100% on my iPod anymore.
even i have some beatles stuff on my ipod and in my itunes. Never liked streaming, or music radio. Talk radio i listen to a ton, but there is too much bad music out there for me to allow someone else to control what comes next.

I will agree the production cycle of music is forced far too much. I mean you would have never seen any of the great bands like Queen, Aerosmith, etc, put out a cd every single year. It is too forced that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
Yall know lennon isn't dead right ?

He just went home.
Where was he from, the pleiades ?
Old 10-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #40
tomato
Super Moderator

Seems to me there is a wide margin between anti-Beatles and worship!

I'm somewhere in between.

LAST FM allows you to skip tracks you don't like, so you can just push through. I like the possibility of finding something I might like and just don't know yet. That's why I stream by genres, and also check out recommendations for stuff I like on YouTube. I have discovered quite a few excellent artists that way.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #41
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
^ I am the same way...about everyone I listen to. I too have never heard a whole album of anything that was ALL good. Never. I have also bought albums years ago after buying the single and wished I had just kept the single and that was all.

On the Beatles though. I remember back in October 1969 when "Abbey Road" came out. I wanted it badly, but it was $6.98, which was a small fortune for an album back then. Even in 1972, albums generally cost about $3.99 each, so in 1969 $6.98 was just ridiculous. I ended up getting it for Christmas that year, and loved it.

I don't like Beatle music before 1967 when "Sgt. Pepper" came out. All that "Twist and Shout" crap sucks to me. I liked them from 1967-1970 when they broke up. I liked them but certainly didn't worship them.

On a side note, I am old enough to have collected Beatle trading cards (Monkee ones too). ;)
Old 10-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #42
tomato
Super Moderator

Holy cow, you remember how much the album cost back in 1969?!! I'm lucky if I remember 1969!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #43
tomato
Super Moderator

I have the Blue album and the Red album at home somewhere. I remember buying them.

I'm pretty sure I used to own the White album at some point and maybe another one but who knows, these things tend to come and go I wonder if my parents still have somewhere in boxes the 45's with the label of an apple on them (nope, Steve jobs didn't even invent that, either ;)

I keep meaning to transfer all the music I have on tapes to MP3 but never get to it. Does anyone know of good (preferably cheap or free) software that can do that?
Old 10-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #44
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
The Pretenders first album, self titled, every song is great, same for London Calling- the Clash

But I agree- especially today, just can't justify buying an album, CD

My favorite Beatles song is "I Saw Her Standing There"
bobselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #45
tomato
Super Moderator

Fool on the hill
Michelle
In my life
Imagine
Because
Here comes the sun
The long and winding road
Lucy in the Sky

I'm sure I forget some.

oh, looky here, I do have Abbey Road after all!! Looks like I'm missing the Red album, that's odd... I remember I liked it quite a bit. Whoever "borrowed" it and "forgot" to return it to me needs my foot up their @ss :<
Old 10-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #46
chrisj

My stepdaughter converted tons of cassettes to CD, and I can't remember what she used now. It wasn't free, but I don't think it cost much. If I can locate what it was, I will post here. I love her to death, but if SHE can do it, it must be a breeze.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:32 AM   #47
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Being the oldest here, I suppose it is appropriate that my favourite music is real music: Beethoven, Greig, Chopin, Leroy Anderson, Joplin (Scott, not that tuneless squawker from the 70s), and some select artists from more recent times. Gordon Lightfoot wrote some interesting stuff, as did Arlo Guthrie, and others. The classics take a lot of time to be appreciated for what they are: can you imagine writing a symphony? One guy? Pen and ink? Think about it! It makes the recent stuff out as fluffy drivel.

Just to annoy you all even further, Elvis was not the King of Rock and Roll, that title rightfully belongs to Little Richard; Elvis was crowned King because Little Richard was black!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:08 AM   #48
tomato
Super Moderator

Love Scott Joplin. I was starting to play some of his compositions in high school but then life took a different turn and I had to give up the piano. Too bad, it was just getting to be fun ;) I was classically trained, so probably know some of the pieces you like. I still really enjoy listening to Claude Debussy, Chopin, Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Eric Satie (spell?), Sergei Prokofief (spell?) and some others whose names I forget now, it's been too long. Some of those pieces are probably on my iPod

here is one of my very favorites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGRO05WcNDk

But you limit yourself IMO if you don't branch out and try out the more contemporary styles as well.

On my iPod, Chopin might be sitting right next to Dr. Dre, and you know, it's OK
Old 10-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #49
tomato
Super Moderator

Tlytle, I forgot Andre Segovia. How can I forget
I know there are others.

Like I said b/f, it would be much easier for me to list music I DON't like ;)

Tell me if you like these:

Saint Preux, Concerto Pour Une Voix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TaTGljBAE

(brb will find other contemporary stuff you might like)

Last edited by tomato; 10-10-2010 at 02:36 AM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #50
tomato
Super Moderator

Supertramp? They were really pretty good back in the days with impressive piano segments, almost like classical.

Pink Floyd?

What about movie soundtracks? There are some really, really good ones. Let me see, Dances with Wolves soundtrack?
Old 10-10-2010, 02:44 AM   #51
tomato
Super Moderator

Manhattan Transfer?
Nat King Cole?
Ella Fitzgerald?
Old 10-10-2010, 02:52 AM   #52
tomato
Super Moderator

Thievery Corporation?
MC Solaar?

John Surman?
Oh yeah, try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhMUG7tNUR8

(it's pretty modern but give it a shot, let the first minute go by before making a judgment)

and here is another one I personally really, really love because I grew up with it

Michel Columbier, Emanuel

click on this site and it'll start playing.

http://www.michelcolombier.com/

Branford Marsalis also plays it in his album Romances for Saxophones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utGF0oCCZBs

hope you like them
Old 10-10-2010, 02:57 AM   #53
tomato
Super Moderator

OK I'll shut up now
Old 10-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #54
chrisj

Quote:
Holy cow, you remember how much the album cost back in 1969?!! I'm lucky if I remember 1969!
I remembered the price of that one particular album because there was no way I could afford it. I was 13 and got an allowance of $1.25 a week. By the time I bought my Mad magazine and the latest single by someone (singles were just 67 cents!), I had no money left.

My little cousin ended up getting me the album for Christmas (actually my aunt, of course), and it was the best gift I got that year, for sure. I still have the original, although it's so scratchy it's unplayable. Doesn't matter though.