Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #37
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
I've said this a million times: When it comes time to buy a car, people need to drive everything they're interested in. People interested in a subcompact car should drive the Fit, Yaris, Accent, Rio, Versa, Aveo--and I'm not talkin' around the block. I think I put more than 30 miles on my Yaris before I bought it. I wanted to be sure this was the car for me.

I think it's a bad idea for anyone interested in buying a high-dollar item (e.g. a car) and simply trusting what a publication says. We all know everyone's got an opinion. Instead of relying on what the magazines say about driving dynamics, comfort, and noise/vibration/harshness levels, people need to get out there and drive the cars for themselves. Just my opinion.
Since a large part of CR's automobile reliability data is based on owners experiance, how would one get an idea about long-term durability/reliability by simply 'getting out there and driving the cars for themselves'?

I'm not saying that CR is the ONLY publication one should research before buying a car, but I feel it would be silly NOT to figure CR's assesment--as well as data from owners--before plunking down money on a car.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #38
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
Phit is just a more interesting spelling for a Fit.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #39
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
Phit is just a more interesting spelling for a Fit.
I got it, just googled it.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #40
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Oh Bobby... You are stirring up the waters again. hehe

I love the '09 Fit Sport too, but let this die on Yarisworld.

BTW - I'm getting shitty MPGs in both cars in the winter.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #41
33OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
BTW - I'm getting shitty MPGs in both cars in the winter.
Amen to that for my Yaris.. yuck.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #42
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
I'm confused how old does a Phit have to be to receive the " individually tailored vaginal rejuvenation"

Before and After the treatment.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Old 01-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #43
33OH

Just ask the doctors at Phit. It's in New York.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #44
Bob_VT

Old 01-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #45
33OH

Old 01-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #46
427chev

Drives: 2009 Yaris with TRD parts
The new Fit is a better car than the Yaris - particularly when both cars are "comparably equipped." The Fit has much better seats, a nicer stereo, a nicer dashboard, comes with more standard accessories, has a stiffer structure and offers superior handling traits.

It's for that reason that only low content (e.g. 3 door, 5 speed, base model) Yarises make any sense.

"Consumers" justifiably chastises the Yaris for its poor handling. I had the dealer install TRD shocks, springs and rear bar for $1,200 and change (including 4 splashguards). I paid $14,700 out the door (with the accessories) for my '09 hatch. That's $3K less than what Fits were selling for here.

The TRD equipped Yaris is a very nice handling little car and still offers remarkably good ride quality - all things considered.

Furthermore, the Yaris is more fuel efficient and is projected to have a higher resale value (relative to the original MSRP).

So in my opinion, the Yaris represents a better value only if the car is lightly equipped. The Fit is the better car for those who are looking to spend more money and makes a heavily equipped Yaris seems like a poor value.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #47
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Since a large part of CR's automobile reliability data is based on owners experiance, how would one get an idea about long-term durability/reliability by simply 'getting out there and driving the cars for themselves'?

I'm not saying that CR is the ONLY publication one should research before buying a car, but I feel it would be silly NOT to figure CR's assesment--as well as data from owners--before plunking down money on a car.
I agree; CR is a another resource for long-term reliability, etc. However, I should've stated that people shouldn't use CR as the end-all source when deciding on what car to buy. That's where test driving and such comes into play.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #48
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
Im not sure if this is the same consumer report, but it had all cars and they reviewed them and such, and i was very upset over the fact they gave a bad ish review for the yaris.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #49
Bob_VT

Quote:

Then why in the hell did you buy the car BEFORE CR did the review??? What long term results are there on a new model?????

Does not make sense

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Old 01-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #50
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Bobby, lets do our own consumer report. I think this makes perfect sense and I actually see your view on this. I say we start off with a side by side view of both cars. Please post a picture and we'll see peoples reactions to them
Old 01-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #51
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
we bought both '08 YARIS ( L.B. and sedan ) despite the ratings in the issues of CONSUMER REPORTS that we've received over the last 15 years or more . Some things do hold true to their findings , others we don't agree with . We've had several vehicles with V.S.C. w/ traction control ( '06 automatic XB and '07 PRIUS ) and they worked very well for winter conditions with the stock tires . They saved our behinds a few times not due to driver error , but from nature itself which dishes out some surprises on occasion ( wild turkey flying in front of PRIUS traveling about 70 m.p.h. on interstate , missed by few inches ) . Just because you have these features doesn't mean you can drive faster in poor driving conditions , which people do . If TOYOTA put out an YARIS with V.S.C. ( w/ T.C. ) we'd trade in 1 of the '08s in a split second . Watch out sucka ( P.K. ) ROBOYARII comin' to getchya .

Last edited by gid; 01-30-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #52
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I just disabled the VSC, TC, and ABS on my Xb by pulling the ABS fuse. Somtimes they actually inhibit safety. For instance, if one tire slips (even if the other three are on dry pavement), the ABS will lengthen your stop considerably. The VSC works very well for what it was designed for (aka interstate speed emergency maneuvers that may send you into a skid), but I don't like it for every day winter driving. And the TC really does inhibit you from getting up a slippery road because it keeps applying the brakes. At least Toyota was smart enough to put a Trac Off button, I just wish it disabled everything, not just traction control.

I really don't believe these features should be mandated by our government. If you want them they should be available, but by no means required.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:01 AM   #53
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
No, domestics do not fall apart after a year. Take a look at Europe. Ford is huge in Europe and can't get enough of them. GM has quite the sizable market in there as well especially with commercial vehicles. Back to your post, having the two side by side, one on one, makes it pretty easy to see which one is the winner....it's whatever the consumer likes. When you bought your Yaris, I'm sure something attracted you to it. When you bought your Phit, I'm sure something attracted you to it. Good luck with your problem and I hope you find what you are looking for, Bobby.
Not really a domestic if its in Europe right? Ford in Europe is whole different ball game.

BTW, besides options, how can you REALLY mess up a solid rear, and long travel MacPhersons?

In the end, its nearly the same setup.

I was comparing the Yaris to the Fit.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:11 AM   #54
Polarpony

Drives: Polar Whte HB 08
Back in 2001 I read several reports and recommendations for the 2001 Chevy Malibu.
Ended up buying one.
The car was nothing but a headache.Multiple repairs before warranty ended and after it was up the repairs were very costly.
Between 37 and 43,000 miles the car overheated , break and battery replacement multiple times.Ignition needed replacing headlights and breaklights always died and the
engine twice went dead during turns.
Had I not read the good reviews I would have probably saved myself alot ot trouble and money.
BTW, I never abused the car.
I bought the Yaris because I have met very happy Toyota owners over the years and a few who adored their echo's.
CU is a very well funded union that needs to make headlines and make deadlines,I have to think they have are somewhat biased.They havn't reported anything about the Yaris that hasn't been written about before .They just happen to circulate it more.
Closed Thread