Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #37
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
i hope...no plan, to lose 10-15lbs.
DandiDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #38
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Drives: Absolutely red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to jclo3313
Just weighed in.......266.2

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
jclo3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #39
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
rode my bike to work today. Banana for breakfast (weak), antipasto salad for lunch, no dressing.

Commute is 3 miles each way, that oughta do something...
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #40
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
i need to start riding my bike more often too.
DandiDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #41
DorytheYaris
aka Eleni

Drives: 10 Yaris LB Auto- Blazing Blue
I'm soo jealous. I want a bike! Maybe Santa will bring me one this year
Current owner 2010 4 dr Liftback - Totaled after 5 months :'( Blazing Blue
DorytheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #42
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
All this talk about riding makes me want to go home and get on that $600.00 coat rack/Schwinn Recumbent Bike that I bought last year.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #43
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
rode my bike to work today. Banana for breakfast (weak), antipasto salad for lunch, no dressing.

Commute is 3 miles each way, that oughta do something...
Good for you! That's the same distance I bicycle to catch my carpool each morning. It's not the best for cardio as it doesn't last too long (once your body gets used to it, if you push a little you'll find that you can do the ride in less than 12 minutes) but it's great for toning up your legs, and a little bit of your core.

I wonder if you're getting enough food, though. Cutting back your intake is a good thing, but if you aren't giving your body enough material to work with then it will store more fat to try to counter the shortages.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #44
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Did my mesurments;
52" chest
44" gut
40" waist
21" neck
I'm a moose.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!

Last edited by jclo3313; 09-11-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #45
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
From relatively slim 140lb teenager (with hair)

To, a few years later, my very heaviest (210lb) and with terrible skin:

Was living the good life back then, good food, fancy snacks all night long...
Came back down to about 190lb though, and stayed there until early this year, where, without any special exercise (just a lot of walking), and reducing my food/snack intake some more, I am back to a good 165lb:

My advice? You don' have to give up good, tasty food, just try and have it in moderation... Live to eat, not eat to live

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #46
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
Good work everyone :D Credit to DorytheYaris for all the support hehe. I hate the gym, but I love sports. I do 1hour of swimming per day, with 3hours of boxing twice a week, and 3 football(soccer) practices a week. Just recently we turned a friends basement into a full boxing gym, with the bags, gear, and everything needed. It's great, I would encourage people to do the same.

EDIT: After catching up on some threads. Credit to you to caliyaris hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Maybe we should have a diet support group on here
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #47
jclo3313
Super Moderator

I ran once, it was last call!

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #48
DorytheYaris
aka Eleni

Drives: 10 Yaris LB Auto- Blazing Blue
I really think it's great that everyone is posting their stories and updates. I think it will really keep all of us trying to maintain/lose weight on track. :)
Current owner 2010 4 dr Liftback - Totaled after 5 months :'( Blazing Blue
DorytheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #49
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
I have battled with my weight since the end of High School - I have poly-cystic ovarian syndrome, so it's hard to control the weight. I am 5'10.5" and used to weigh 140lbs and was in a size 8/10 jeans. Not fat at all. Well, 7 years later after graduation (at the start of the year) was in size 20/22 and miserable. Boo :( My friend who is a fitness model/health nut/trainer offered me some help. I didn't take it seriously at first, but started taking it seriously a few months back when I joined the biggest loser competition we had at work.

I eat no fast food, keep my sugar to an absolute minimum, eat only GOOD carbs at certain times of the day; I eat veggies, chicken, turkey, Ezekial bread, oatmeal w/ protein powder, all natural peanut butter, egg whites w/ 1 whole egg, Nectar brand protein powder (no sugar/no carbs), tuna, organic brown rice salt free rice cakes, all natural cashews and almonds, fish ... that sort of thing. I allow myself 1 cheat meal a week. It's easy to follow and I literally can't eat fast food, my body almost instantly rejects it.... which makes me not want to eat it even more when I realize how gross and unhealthy it really is.

Without working out because I just honestly haven't had time between going to school full time and working more than full time at the office, I have lost 30lbs this year and have dropped over a full pants size.

Oddly enough, my dear friend is whooping my a$$ on Tuesday and is coming to the gym and creating custom workouts for me. My goal is to be back to a size 12 by the end of the year - it's possible, but I can't fall off at all for the next 3.5 months.

I added a picture of myself a few months back before really losing anything (I think I was down 5lbs in the first picture) - note: the wind was blowing so my tummy really isn't sticking out that much LOL; and then what I look like now in the yellow shirt picture, I see the biggest change in my waist/thighs. I think I carry my weight well becuase no one believes I was a 20/22 at the first of the year ... my height helps with that, but the fact is I'm not healthy and I have become extremely depressed because of my weight. My husband (soon to be my ex ... long story, we are still best friends so it's not a bad break up at all) is the most supportive person and has loved me no matter what I look like, but people treat me different as a heavy person and I want to make a change for myself. I work in a pretty professional environment and it's hard to be taken seriously when you can't have the typical appearance as other professionals.

I think this is an awesome thread, it's great to have some place to get support!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wreckingball.jpg (14.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg fgull.jpg (8.8 KB, 69 views)
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:30 PM   #50
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
I guess I can write a little something something.

My entire life I've been the skinny kid. I wasn't too concerned about being skinny through my teenage years, so I couldn't tell you what my weight was. However, I would think it had to be somewhere between 125-130lbs. My height is 5`8 and a half ( not lying about the 1/2" part! lmao ). I also started working construction part time during highschool since the age of 16. So that didn't help me pack on the pounds. This is a pic of my teenage years...

I started lifting weights so I could gain weight in my teenage years. Because of my high metabolism, I could eat whatever I wanted. That meant eating Mcdonalds ALL THE TIME! lol. It never had any affect on me whatsover. I also took plenty of protein shakes and know all about that stuff. Still nothing. I was also lifting weights during this time and working construction part time (full time in summers and xmas break).

It wasn't until I was about 22 years old that I had a month off of work (construction) and I had no school at the time (xmas break). I was still lifting weights and wanted to see if I could gain any weight. I began to eat anything in sight. This meant forcing myself to eat 6 crunchy taco bell tacos, mcdonalds, etc...

After about a month of that, I went from 130 to 150lbs. It's the heaviest i've been. However, since I was lifting weights ( not seriously though ), it didn't look like I was a fat hog. Here's a pic...

That's me on the right. To most people, that looks "normal," but in reality, most of it was fat. After that I stopped lifting weights, but didn't eat as much fast food, and I couldn't get rid of my belly. I knew I could get rid of it by exercising and dieting, but since I could never gain weight my entire life, I didn't mind having a belly (what was I thinking! lol). Here is a pic of my not lifting weights, but still sporting the belly days....

After about a year of having this belly, I was determined to get rid of it. I started lifting weights again and cutting back on the fast food. For me, since my frame isn't that big, it's not that hard to change the shape of my body. I still eat mcdonalds about 3-4x a week and I still work construction. Because of my job, it allows me to stay active and stay in shape. If I didn't work construction, I'd have to work a lot harder at keeping off the pounds. Here's a pic of me from a month ago. It's the result of eating right, lifting weights (4x a week), and waxing your chest. I was 140lb in that pic. lmao...

Anyways, I know it's not as gnarly as the stories on this thread, but it just goes to show that anyone can experience weight problems. Even skinny guys like me! The honest truth is: It's all about diet and exercise. There's no gimmick about it. Eat right and exercise regularly, and you'll be good! If you don't know what to eat; talk to a nutrionist. You really have to be motivated to diet and exercise, and you can't be half butt about it. Besides looking and feeling good, it's healthy and great for the mind! Good luck!

ps: If you are weight lifting and want to put on muscle; The three exercises you MUST do are squats, bench, and deadlifts. Look it up.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:36 AM   #51
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
Key Lesson: Please do not follow fad diets, if you excersize, carbs are your best friend. You have to watch out though, too much and you will be forced to take a 2hr nap, no joke
+1 There is nothing wrong with carbs (pasta, breads, etc.,) in fact those are the preferred food prior to excercising, but yeah, too much of it will put you to sleep, as well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZGRL View Post
There's some great stories here!

I guess I'll dive into mine a little bit:
I've had a severe back injury for the past almost 4 years (October of '05). It's work comp... hence why it's taking FOREVER for my treatment. I have 2 torn discs in my lower back (L5-S1 and the L4-L5) and that's a partial reason why I got the Yaris. I went from a manual trans civic si to an auto yaris to make my commutes in southern Cali traffic a bit more tolerable (I no longer can make the commutes on my motorcycle due to the riding position). I've put on a few lbs that I'm not proud of and it's hard for me to be as active as I want to since everything I do is painful and/or I'm in pain for the following days. Right now I have a goal set (the bf and I have discussed engagement) and I refuse to try on wedding dresses in the size I currently am.

It's so hard since I can't do any major workouts like running since the impact my back takes is way too much. I used to LOVE turbo kick boxing, but that usually causes me to be stuck in bed the next day barely able to move. I use the recombinant bike for cardio, try to do as much walking as my back will allow and some weight training. It's just so hard to stay motivated when everything equals pain. *sigh* Dieting only goes so far since I have a fairly healthy diet as it is. I'm trying to get back to my 1300 calories/day + as much exercise as the back will allow which helped me drop some weight before a wedding I was a part of in June.

I will definitely check back to this thread for inspiration.
I just wanted to say that 1300 calories per day is not very much at all, and when you crash diet like this, you may lose weight for a while but then it'll creep back up eventually , so be careful with that. They say you're supposed to make changes so that the weight loss goal is long term and permanent, rather than short term

I hurt my back 4 / 5 years ago and now I'm really limited in the stuff I can do or not do. Some seating positions are hard to stay in (don't even get me started about flying for extended periods of time!! ) and I can't walk miles like I used to before, which is really frustrating because that's what I used to do to de-stress at the end of the day, I used to get my walking shoes on and go for a 2 or 3 mile walk at the end of the day, or just walk around for fun. Now I can't do it as much.

Anyway, as a result of cutting back on exercise, I gained a good 2 sizes up and at least 20 pounds. Plus, being unable to exercise keeps me indoors more, and when I'm indoors I eat more stuff than I realize... slippery slope right there

I've gained and lost weight over the years depending on my lifestyle (usually, a sedentary lifestyle will make me gain weight, then when I decide to move my @ss, I subsequently lose the weight) but this time, I can't seem to get motivated anymore, not sure why.

Anyway, to Dory the Yari and all of you guys who are struggling to stay healthy.

Last edited by tomato; 09-14-2009 at 01:52 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #52
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
@peterpoop: Where was that picture taken, with all the rain? that's a LOT of rain!!!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #53
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
@peterpoop: Where was that picture taken, with all the rain? that's a LOT of rain!!!
lol. Yah that was my front yard and entire front street! The local drain was plugged and there was a huge storm. I had to move all the cars out of there ASAP!

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11712
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #54
LEGATO``

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
hmmm

from a good friend of mine, he said that the P90X was a good workout to lose weight, and get toned at the same time

approve or disapprove?

i was thinking about this myself.