Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #37
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
Why don't you just WEAR the seatbelt....That's what they're for.
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:08 PM   #38
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
I am going to have to chime in on this one..haha, im real funny.

I have side airbags and my seatbelt alarm will go off with just four 2-liters in the seat. It also goes off for my back pack if it has like two textbooks in it. Its looking to be about 10 pounds for me i guess? i never weighed it though, but its pretty damn low.

Also, according to the manual anytime that you drop below 10mph and then go back up above 10mph again the chime will start chiming again. Thus after every red light..."bing, bing bing"

My own technique is to just wrap the seat belt around the back of the seat and keep it plugged in, only problem was when my dad got in the car and nearly broke it tugging to get it to the front, not realizing it was buckled up.

And finally:

Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post

This guy didn't read any of the posts before he commented
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:53 AM   #39
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post
I'm a big supporter of seatbelt wearing... but when I'm just going from my apartment to the garbage dump (at the end of "my driveway"), i dont want to be bothered with the seatbelt.... or say if your going from one end of the mall to the other, one store to another in a strip mall..

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #40
gm830

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
ok i'm confused...what does this chime do exactly and how does it work? i've never heard of a seatbelt chime going off unless the driver wasn't buckled up when he started the car, so can someone enlighten me please?
gm830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #41
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
gm830,

The Yaris' front passenger seat has a set of sensors in it that try to determine when a passenger is present. If a passenger is not present nothing in that part of the cabin gets initialized. No seat belt tattle-tale chime, no passenger airbags, etc.

If it senses enough weight in the seat, but less than 75 pounds (so the manual says, IIRC), it will assume a child is present and will activate the seat belt tattle-tale chime but not the airbags. If it detects anything over 75 pounds the airbags come on, too.

What's happening here is some folks have frequent loads they like to place on the passenger seat that are weighing enough to make the simple system think a child is present, which activates the seat belt tattle-tale chime.

Once activated the chime can quickly become annoying and distracting (which is, of course, the point of it).

I have never had this issue myself but I put groceries in the back or on the front floor and my laptop is a very efficient ultra-portable that only weighs 3 pounds (and the only supporting equipment it travels with is an ethernet cable (just in case) and a solar charger).

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:47 PM   #42
gm830

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
oh i see...didn't know they had chimes for passenger seats....can't everyone just buckle the seat belt with all of their books, bags, or whatever on the seat? =/
gm830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:48 PM   #43
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
If you disconnect the electrical connector under the seat, the chime will never come on again. The seat-belt light will flash slow ALL the time though. I'll be messing with different size resistors to get rid of the seatbelt light next week when my seat brackets are done.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #44
JosephDoc

Drives: 07 Yaris 3D
After a few weeks of having the car, I decided to do something about the chime and blet warnning light(s). I just reach up to here and I guess I can't domething simple without the scanner.

So... me go from this face, , to this face .
I took off the passenger seatblet/airbag lights (the bracket next to stereo unit) and taped up the the LEDS circuit. I took out the dash meter and taped up the driver belt's light by taped up the light channel behind the fascias. The chime is right behind the dash meter assembly and looks like a pc speaker. I taped it also just wish the beeps wont be as loud.

All those took only 30 mins and I am happy now. The beeps are not as bad but I wish I had the pc-spk ripped out when was all apart. I will try to live with 2mins beeps and see how it goes.
JosephDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #45
Mead

Drives: BSP Yaris LB 2007
my 10lb backpack won't trip the chime unless.... I corner really hard
Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #46
Boy Blue

Drives: 3Dr H/B
There is a way to disable it.. i have tried but could not get it to work. a friend did it on thier FJ.... Once i get it to work on mine I will post the steps to take.
Boy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #47
Tiddlygoose

Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Sedan SI
My 6 pound dog sets of the darned dinger in the passenger seat. I guess I'll just buckle the seat belt and hope it's not too annoying for her. For me, though, I am going to either find a dealer stupid enough to disable it, or do the switch mod.

After all, I live in New Hampshire. We are the only state in the U.S. where you do not have to wear your seatbelt if your over 18. When I leave our backwoods town i do wear it, but around town, I choose not too.
Tiddlygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #48
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
I found out how to disable all seatbelt chimes (permanently)! Just disconnect or remove the SRS airbag ecu :)
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:49 AM   #49
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I had the dealer do mine. Be persistant!. I had to threatend the salesman with a piss poor review unless he got it done. Ask the service advisor why would you get oil changes here if they wouldn't do this one simple thing for you.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #50
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
just buckle the seat belt and leave that way. It does not cause problems to anything on the front seat. You can move the seat up and bring strap behind the seat to buckle, it is long enough. Easy solution.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #51
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
just buckle the seat belt and leave that way. It does not cause problems to anything on the front seat. You can move the seat up and bring strap behind the seat to buckle, it is long enough. Easy solution.
That works for the passenger side, however, the drivers side is another issue. Today for example I started the car without the seat belt and heard 5 beeps. I got out to scrape the frost off the windows. When I got back in silence! I was 3 houses down the block before I put the seat belt on with no excessive beeping. When I got out with the car running to drop off a rented DVD 3 feet from the car no noise. When I got back in no noise. Having the seat belt alarm turned off was one of the best things I have done to the Yasis.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #52
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
^ it would not start beeping until u reach a certain mph, 12mph i think?
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:55 PM   #53
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Anyone find out how to turn off the seatbelt chime?
Do you have suicidal tendencies?

Just put your damn seatbelt on!!!!! Vehicular ejection hurts.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:35 AM   #54
drbilal

Drives: BELTA SEDAN
As stated many times already, hes not saying he doesn't want to wear it, just disable it so that when he keeps bags, books etc on the passenger seat the alarm doesn't go off.