Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #37
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryude View Post
I feel like the car manufacturers create a false price point, How come you can get a fully loaded Hyundai Accent for $13k but that's the base price for a yaris?
Cheap Korean labor + cheap Korean parts base = lower MSRP.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:44 AM   #38
Ace

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai_Dang View Post
Yeah it sucks that after 4 years of being in the US, sales still suck. 30 dealers in my area had yaris, but only like 1-4 max/dealer. Compared to like the gazillion corollas/camrys. But its Toyota's fault. They're not selling well because they're priced too close to corollas/camrys, lol plus they look like weak, small, cheap interior compared to a corolla. I personally like weak, small, cheap and quirky cars, but most people would be turned off by that. If you're selling something strange, might as well give people a price incentive. Seriously, my friend just bought a used 2009 corolla S from a dealer for 12k. I think most people are like I'll just buy a corolla at this price, because some dealers in my area were asking 16.6k for a 2010 5 door HB w/power, and 14.5k for base. WTFudge?? My dad got a brand new camry for 16k, and of course that thing is fully loaded. They seriously got to drop the price on yaris, and not force people to roll up their windows or have no cruise, or have to argue with their dealers. Dude, 13k for 5 door LB w/power with room to bargain down would be awesome! I only got mines after I argued it down to a reasonable price. Seriously 16.6k, for a yaris, is nutso!
Just my 2 cents.

The Toyota Yaris were not meant to be big sellers in the US, hints none of the assembly plants are located in the western hemisphere. There are six places that assembled Yaris, all are far far away from the US.

China: Guangzhou
France: Valenciennes
Indonesia: Karawang
Japan: Kanegasaki, Iwate; Ōbu, Aichi
Taiwan: Zhongli[22]
Thailand: Chachoengsao

A lot of reasons not to buy a Yaris in 2010, for just a little more or the same price you could’ve purchased a Corolla in 2010, if you knew how low the dealers were willing to go. Sales for Corolla in 2010 were about 28.3% lower, it would have been a lot worse without huge incentives. With the bad US economy, bad press, the devalued of the dollar VS the yen at an all time low, shipping cost from overseas, tariff for Yaris and over supplied of North America made Corollas, from a business standpoint Toyota did not need to sell Yaris in the US, they needed to sell Corollas. Toyota could have either temporally shut down plants, export the North America made Corollas, which would not been cost effected because of shipping cost and tariff or sell them at home at a low price, they did what made the best business sense. The Yaris went to other counties that had a better market for them.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:57 AM   #39
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
I agree- for Toyota the current Yaris in the USA business model makes no sense. I think the only reason it's here at all is that Toyota just wants a presence in the B segment in case gas moves up significantly and the B car becomes the default choice for the common man/woman here as it is in many other places in the world. When and if that ever happens you'll see the Yaris being assembled in Mexico or the southern US in all likelihood.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote